Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Header Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After Header Install Questions

OK, got the Jet Hot LTs and catted Y Pipe in. Wrapped all the joints with exhaust tape and used TorcTite band clamps on all the joints except where the y connects to the I pipe on my Loudmouth.

1) Have a little bit of banging on the floorboards, but it only seems like it's at start up. Is this normal? Is fix just some heater hose or poly motor mount?

2) I installed the Jet Hot high flow cats and no codes so far, which I didn't expect to have any, but I am getting some odor, not sure if it's gas or what, but definitely a different smell than I am used to. Is this normal, is there a fix?

3) If I decide to scrap this POS Ypipe and go with another, what would you recommend, or should I have a muffler shop fab one up for me?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 05-30-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

use some heater hose to stop the banging, also the headers swing a little bit on the bolts, push it down and tighten them that way and it will give you a tad more clearance underneath.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Parbreak...do you notice a loud ticking noise after the header install? It ticks under load whenever I accelerate. I have no exhaust leaks, my check valves are good, and I did the restrictor mod. WTF!!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro SS 2002
Parbreak...do you notice a loud ticking noise after the header install? It ticks under load whenever I accelerate. I have no exhaust leaks, my check valves are good, and I did the restrictor mod. WTF!!
No loud ticking just the annoying smell. I've done a lot of research and most seem to think it's either the "new header" smell , ie. stuff burning off, or it may just be these high flow cats. They are very high flow from what I can tell, you can see right thru them. May not be as efficient at burning off excess gas as stock cats.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 05-30-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good excuse to ditch the y-pipe and go with duals
Old 05-30-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

im with mustang5.0hater, i went that route to get rid of the banging, best thing i've ever done. although get the dr. gas x pipe if you are gonna do it yourself, it will save you the trouble i've run into.

even with the restrictor mod, some cars still will tick. i just put a block off plate between the air tubes and headersb ut kept it all on there just in case during inspection. ticking problem was solved.

Good luck. oh if you wanna keep the y pipe you got on their for money reasons or any other reason try the heater hose, i did that too and it worked pretty well.
T
Old 05-30-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slik98z
even with the restrictor mod, some cars still will tick. i just put a block off plate between the air tubes and headersb ut kept it all on there just in case during inspection. ticking problem was solved.
That's exactly what im going to do, put some block off plates between the AIR tubes and headers. Im also going to pull the AIR pump fuse, didn't you?
Old 05-30-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

if im not mistaken camaro ss 2002 if you pull the fuse, you will set off the SES light. mine came on for about 50 miles then it shut off, came on again then went off and its been off for about 75 miles now. and that was just putting the block off plates in and not doing anything else. i might pull the fuse just to see what it does, cause im gonna be getting a tune here shortly so ic an remove all that bull **** in there and not get any codes.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

if im not mistaken camaro ss 2002 if you pull the fuse, you will set off the SES light. mine came on for about 50 miles then it shut off, came on again then went off and its been off for about 75 miles now. and that was just putting the block off plates in and not doing anything else. i might pull the fuse just to see what it does, cause im gonna be getting a tune here shortly so ic an remove all that bull **** in there and not get any codes.
If you pull the fuse, you might get an SES light and you might not, it all depends on the car. If the fuse is not pulled your AIR pump is still functioning and I heard there is a chance you can eventually burn it up. If your going to block off the AIR tubes, you might as well stop the AIR pump from working. I will eventually get it deleted from the CPU as well, but for now I can't take this loud *** ticking.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha i hear ya there dood that ticking is such a bitch. i tried that air restrictor mod and i put new valves in just to be sure, for about a month the tick was gone, but i swear when it came back it came back with a vengence.

which fuse is to the air pump?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

which fuse is to the air pump?
Under the hood in the lower of the two fuse boxes, it says air pump.