Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler Help

Looking to run an oil cooler and an Canton Accusump on my car and I have a few questions. The car is a '99 TransAM

- What brand and size cooler fits best on these cars?
- Where is the best place to mount both the accusump and the radiator? (Car is fully loaded with everything so I want to keep the accusump out of the interior)
- Is it worth running a remote oil filter? If so where is best?

Any pictures of your set up would help. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

This thing on?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a lot of people run coolers on these cars. I was thinking about putting a derale one with fans in front of the radiator because the are thin. But I havnt needed one yet. I hope that helps some
Old 02-28-2015, 11:55 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Installing an oil cooler won't hurt, especially if you're in a region that gets hot and you get stuck in traffic. It can be tough mounting cooler(s) on these cars, I ended up removing my washer fluid bottle.

Use an in-line thermostat. For coolers, only use the flat plate type, the bent tube coolers cool much less. You shouldn't need a fan on it.

If you have an automatic, getting the transmission cooler out of the radiator is a good idea too.

I'm curious why you want to use an Accusump?

What other mods are on this car? Time to make a sig.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

I want the accusump for added protection on start up. The car sits from time to time so I figured better to push some oil threw it to make sure she's lubed before I start it. I plan on the smaller size since this is the reason for it.

Figure it's a little ins. for wear on the engine.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Most vehicle don't need an oil cooler. The exception being racing or towing. And even with GM trucks, they just run a finned tube oil cooler.
You can actually keep you oil too cool and cause more damage in your motor than without.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Contact Improved Racing. They specialize in LS oiling solutions. They can set you up with everything you are looking for, from the accusump, to a oil cooler adapter with built in thermostat, and they are working on developing a kit to mount a cooler for f-bodies.

I personally use an oil cooler, and if you have a thermostatic adapter you don't have to worry about the oil staying too cold. I have a massive Ron Davis radiator with a built in oil cooler and it serves me well for my track car.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely interested in a mounting kit, as for running lines most headers leave very little room and you best bet is getting some made for a truck, cutting and flaring them and running a remote thermostat. The ls7 lines have a thermostat in them but I'm not sure what temp it opens at

Last edited by maroonls1z; 03-03-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You understand that to have the Accusump hold pressure until you start the engine, you'll need their valve or solenoid accessory?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This is good timing because we are about to announce our F-Body oil cooler kit and start a group buy.

This kit uses a Mocal 19-row oil cooler with custom brackets that mount it in the driver's side lower air inlet on the front bumper. On the Camaro it will require removal of the fog light, so fitment is a little better in the Trans AM.

The mounting brackets will be black anodized in the production kit and it will also include mounting hardware and hose clamps to secure the lines. The hoses are lightweight crimped -10AN Teflon hoses made by Brown & Miller Racing (they supply NASCAR, Indycar, F1, etc) and feature a silicone fire sleeve to protect them from the headers.

The kit will be available with our thermostatic oil cooler adapter as well as our low-profile adapter for those with header clearance issues.

We are looking at a retail price of $699 for the kit with the thermostatic adapter and $634 for the non-thermostatic version. Who's interested?

Here's a pic of the kit:

Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler Help-egm-600_1_lg_2.jpg  

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing

We are looking at a retail price of $699 for the kit with the thermostatic adapter and $634 for the non-thermostatic version. Who's interested?
I will be once I get some other mods out of the way.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Can you post up some pics of it installed?

How much for the cooler and brackets only?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Very interesting would like to also see pictures of it mounted in a Trans AM. What are the dimensions of the cooler?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This is the cooler we are using: http://www.improvedracing.com/mocal-...oler-p-80.html

We don't have any good photos of it installed. We will try to get some next time we can borrow an F-Body. Here's a photo that shows the mounting location from the front bumper on a Trans AM:

It should get pretty good air flow.

Here is from behind. In this pic it's only secured with two brackets, and these are prototype brackets made from acrylic:

It uses all factory mounting points, no drilling or anything required.

Top left mount location:

Top right mount location:

No pic of the lower right mounting location but it also uses a factory screw.
Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler Help-egm-600_prototype_2.jpg   Oil cooler Help-egm-600_prototype_1.jpg   Oil cooler Help-20141210_160630.jpg   Oil cooler Help-20141210_160623.jpg  

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Oil is heated by rpm's. If you're racing, you need an oil cooler. Otherwise, you're adding, weight, cost, complexity, and multiple leak/failure points. I would install an oil temp gauge first. If you're consistently greater than 240* or so, then it's maybe worth while.

You can mount the Accusump in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler Help