Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Thanks for the quick reply Toddoky.

Makes sense about the tips - and, honestly, the asymmetry of them isn't what bothers me...I prefer the "dual single" look (but dual duals are acceptable to me too), but I'd really like either a rolled edge or double walled tip. I did see you mention that it's a possibility others will be offered down the road.

Any ideas on when you'll have the catback on a vehicle and get it on the dyno?

Thanks for all the information you're providing in this thread. It's extraordinarily helpful. I can only begin to imagine the amount of time you have spent on this thread alone!
I'll bring up the alternative tip subject in our next staff meeting and see it leads anywhere in the short term.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another dumb question on the tips...can't tell if this is just due to the angle of the pic or not...are the tips equidistant from the vehicle centerline?

Hell, are they even from the factory?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Another dumb question on the tips...can't tell if this is just due to the angle of the pic or not...are the tips equidistant from the vehicle centerline?

Hell, are they even from the factory?
Yes, the tips of the Hooker system are aligned to be centered in the cut-outs of the Formula and Trans Am bumpers, which makes them equidistant from the vehicle centerline. As far as the stock Camaro tips go...not so much.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Just because the pipes are half an inch bigger doesn't mean they are magically twice as loud, I also had plenty of ground clearance with 3 inch duals and my car was really low when I had them. Lower than most guys that rock the normal BMR and Strano springs. It is also is not just a dyno number issue with the primaries, it has been proven at the track. That whole stock displacment 1-7/8 primary thing was laid to rest a long time ago. If people are thinking "okay I have to get the most performance for my limitied budget" what makes you think they are going to want a resonably priced true dual/mid header set up? If they are strapped for cash they will probably go and get some pacesetters that are long tubes.

I'm not hating, really, I'm not. They look like nice units. These cars are so popular because as each day goes by younger and younger guys can buy them to go fast on the cheap. Guys who mod on their parents dollar and work part-time min-wage jobs when highschool summers roll around. I just don't see there being a large market for something like this. You would have better luck pushing those mids as a swap header.

Nevertheless, I going to quit posting in this thread, I don't want any heat.
I know this is an older post, but I just need to point something out. This guy is a fng idiot. Just because he is poor doesn't mean we all are.

1 - I do not "mod on my parents dollar" - I am a grown man who owns a house.

2 - Said house was not purchased with money earned working part time at a minimum wage job. (X figure salary, like that means S anymore)

3 - ^^^Same goes for my car. A THIRD car for me. Also a car that got about 275 miles put on it this year and is done for the winter.

4 - Value is a big thing for me. I don't care if we're talking $1 or $1,000, it's got to have value.

5 - 6,7,8 hundred bucks for a true dual system? That's exactly where I start saying hmmmmm.

So kid - we all aren't the same here. We run the gamut from you to me and beyond.

You need to git some learnin' up in ya. Hopefully life will help with that.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

I'm glad I saw a page or so back that the muffler outlets are not centered in the openings of a TA bumper. I THINK that's a deal breaker for me??? Like another member mentioned, I'd like to stick with a single outlet. I want it to look as stock as possible.

Thanks for all of the information Hooker.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

That's correct, the mufflers are not centered in the bumper openings (it's impossible due to their 6" diameter), that is accomplished in the geometry of the tips themselves. The 3" size of the tips assures that they do not appear cartoon-ish on the car and fill out the openings of the Trans Am bumper better than the OE tips do. If you want to see more photos of the tips on a Trans Am I can post some up. If the system is not for you based on the configuration of the tips, I can't fault you for that.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

I would definitely like to see some more/better pics. Cartoonish is a great way top describe how some of the bigger dual tips look IMHO. I don't want them to be a focal point, you know? The original pics you posted are OK, but not the greatest for really getting a feel fow what they would look like. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the dual tips, but that's because I have a Trans Am. If I had a Camaro I might feel differently.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even for the bigger motors still running a y pipe like I am, this system would still net gains.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the people wanting single tips on bumpers without cutouts to center in like the camaros, couldn't you move the drivers side muffler in a bit to make the mufflers equidistant? I looks like theres room to adjust it over in this pic:

The camaro people could just do CME as well I would think.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
For the people wanting single tips on bumpers without cutouts to center in like the camaros, couldn't you move the drivers side muffler in a bit to make the mufflers equidistant? I looks like theres room to adjust it over in this pic:

The camaro people could just do CME as well I would think.
I was curious about that... I'm wondering if there's enough room to fit a CME kit from, say, 6LE. If so, that's likely the route id go
Old 11-09-2015, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Still waiting, Toddoky... 7 weeks
Old 11-09-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
My suggestion would be to cancel your order if you can't wait out the delivery; I know I would do the same thing if I was working on a schedule as you seem to be. I wish there was something I could do to influence the shipment status of your order, but there's not.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I was curious about that... I'm wondering if there's enough room to fit a CME kit from, say, 6LE. If so, that's likely the route id go
I can help you guys on this one. A custom CME set-up would be possible to fabricate for sure using a couple of 4" centerline radius U/J bends. Moving the driver side muffler over in order to create a centered dual single outlets is not possible however, unless you are willing to notch the side of the storage well and re-configure the hanger rods on the muffler.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Why dont you contact Hooker customer service or the vendor your purchased from instead of a design engineer that has absolutely nothing to do with sales? Might get you somewhere.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If I could retro fit my Magnaflow dual tips onto this Hooker catback system I'd be ordering.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Why dont you contact Hooker customer service or the vendor your purchased from instead of a design engineer that has absolutely nothing to do with sales? Might get you somewhere.
I did. The vendor tells me to wait, and the customer service tells me they don't see my order. Toddoky offered to look it up earlier, to no avail. So I guess I already tried those things, now I'm here again.

Toddoky, I'll cancel. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear that, sounds like the vendor is dropping the ball if hooker has no record of the order.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^This sounds like it is not a Hooker problem. You probably shouldnt be muuddy-ing up this thread until you sort things out with your vendor who tells you to "wait".

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust