Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
It's really a question that one can only answer for themself since nobody else knows what the most important characteristics/ considerations are to each individual. At the stage I'm at in my life (wife, kids and other interests) I'm not spending $2,000 on an exhaust system for any car I drive...period. Some guys will lay out that kind of cash, but that's not who the Hooker system is targeted towards and it shows in the 50% price differential.
No kidding. $1200 for maybe 5-10 more rwhp at 6500rpms on a fully built 346. I'd rather buy a nitrous kit. Heck, take the money it takes it to buy that exhaust and the intake, heads, and cam to take advantage of it and you could have a supercharger kit making 500rwhp through almost any catback. Different strokes for different folks for sure.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
No kidding. $1200 for maybe 5-10 more rwhp at 6500rpms on a fully built 346. I'd rather buy a nitrous kit. Heck, take the money it takes it to buy that exhaust and the intake, heads, and cam to take advantage of it and you could have a supercharger kit making 500rwhp through almost any catback. Different strokes for different folks for sure.
You make a very good point; even if a 3" system was worth as much as 15-20 more peak HP, you could get five times that increase with a nitrous kit for less than half of the extra cost required to purchase the Kook's system over the Hooker dual system.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the power gains with hooker's 1 7/8" headers and true dual system? I read through all the pages and couldn't find it. Also looked at hooker's web site and saw that using the 1 7/8" headers requires and additional adapter between the headers and the exhaust but I couldn't find additional info, just hat is is necessary.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dp121
What are the power gains with hooker's 1 7/8" headers and true dual system? I read through all the pages and couldn't find it. Also looked at hooker's web site and saw that using the 1 7/8" headers requires and additional adapter between the headers and the exhaust but I couldn't find additional info, just hat is is necessary.
The duals require adapting (not -er) to long tubes because they are made for the Hooker BlackHeart Midlength headers or the factory manifolds and cats. If you want to use the duals with long tubes of any brand you will need to fabricate a connection between them and the headers. It's not hard and any shop that can weld stainless could do it. All it takes is a couple 2.5" reducer cones and a few inches of 2.5" tubing.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

I must have not read carefully. THanks for clearing that up.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

I must have not read carefully. THanks for clearing that up.
I see what you're talking about on the Holley site:

"Designed for direct bolt-in connection to Hooker 70201301-RHKR 1-3/4” mid-length headers; connection to Hooker 70201302-RHKR 1-7/8” mid-length headers requires use of an available adapter tube kit"

I'm not sure what adapter they are referring to. I was under the impression this kit was designed around the 1 7/8" midlengths. I don't recall any adapters being mentioned for that. Toddoky will have to chime in.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
I see what you're talking about on the Holley site:

"Designed for direct bolt-in connection to Hooker 70201301-RHKR 1-3/4” mid-length headers; connection to Hooker 70201302-RHKR 1-7/8” mid-length headers requires use of an available adapter tube kit"

I'm not sure what adapter they are referring to. I was under the impression this kit was designed around the 1 7/8" midlengths. I don't recall any adapters being mentioned for that. Toddoky will have to chime in.
Yes that's what I'm talking about. I am considering this system, but now I'm thinking if you have to adapt to Hooker's Black Heart 1 7/8" MID LENGTH headers then I may as well go with a long tube header.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes that's what I'm talking about. I am considering this system, but now I'm thinking if you have to adapt to Hooker's Black Heart 1 7/8" MID LENGTH headers then I may as well go with a long tube header.
It's a misprint, someone in the marketing department loaded the discription onto the website incorrectly. The Hooker dual exhaust connects directly to either the 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" Hooker Blackheart mid-length headers.
The following users liked this post:
30thT/A1071 (03-08-2020)
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

OK very good. Hope they fix that to clear up any confusion. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Toddoky, PM sent. No good estimated time of delivery after 7 weeks is awful.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Toddoky, PM sent. No good estimated time of delivery after 7 weeks is awful.
I can truly appreciate your position as I would feel the same if I had made the purchase. Unfortunately, my best guess is all I can provide in terms of shipping dates as I am merely the designer of these products have no connection to the production or order processes here. I apologize for any hold-up in your plans my limited details may have imposed on you.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did my install this weekend.
Mated the system to Speed Engineering 1 3/4 Long Tubes.
Modifications to supplied tubes were minimal. I used the supplied reducer cones by cutting the bend off just after the O2 bung. Alignment from header collectors to Hooker true dual exhaust was almost perfect.

All I needed were two 1" pieces of straight 3" SS tube that were welded between VBand clamp flange and reducer cones.

Name:  Pipe%20mods_zpshabvw1zt.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  83.1 KB

I must say I am impressed with build quality, fitment and resulting ground clearance. Hangers on mufflers are made of large diameter SS rod and brackets supplied zinc coated with heavy rubber isolators.

Name:  Mufflers_zpslvvtnm4j.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  88.4 KB

Brackets

Name:  hanger_zpsydo0pptr.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 11-02-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RGSS
Did my install this weekend.
Mated the system to Speed Engineering 1 3/4 Long Tubes.
Modifications to supplied tubes were minimal. I used the supplied reducer cones by cutting the bend off just after the O2 bung. Alignment from header collectors to Hooker true dual exhaust was almost perfect.

All I needed were two 1" pieces of straight 3" SS tube that were welded between VBand clamp flange and reducer cones.

I must say I am impressed with build quality, fitment and resulting ground clearance. Hangers on mufflers are made of large diameter SS rod and brackets supplied zinc coated with heavy rubber isolators.

Brackets

Thanks for posting up your results. I knew someone would tackle such an install sooner or later and show that it would be possible with minimal effort for those that wanted to go that route. Let us know how your drive test goes and your resultant comparative impression of the system compared to what you took off your car.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for posting RGSS. You know the question everyone has, where's the video!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

RGSS - how loud is the setup? What exhaust did you have before? I'm wondering if this is as loud as an LM1/Borlamouth
Old 11-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please make a video with the sound -- I'm a click away from buying this kit but I've been hesitant because I've yet to hear how it sounds.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998redSS
Please make a video with the sound -- I'm a click away from buying this kit but I've been hesitant because I've yet to hear how it sounds.

Thanks!
Go to thread #161.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This product was just brought to my attention today and I read all 20 pages.

I consider my Camaro more of a cruiser. It's a vert, and I refuse to put a cage in it, so it'll never see a track. I want to mod it, but don't want to really impact the reliability of the vehicle. I am also lowered. I would like to bump up the power a little.,

I know exhaust is the starting point, but I don't want to kill my ground clearance as it's already about as little as I can stand. I also don't want a loud obnoxious exhaust, especially a raspy one.

When I first saw this, I initially thought "yeah, but it's probably aluminized steel". I'm pleasantly surprised to see this is stainless. The price is more than I would like to pay (I'm just cheap), but I totally understand the pricing - comparatively, I think this is a great deal. I am really impressed by how it tucks.

I don't subscribe to the "mo is betta" mentality. I don't need the stiffest coil spring rates, the biggest cam, the largest exhaust...this really looks like it'd suit my needs very well. Tucks as good or better than the stock exhaust. Provides a good 20-25 rwhp gain from the sound of it, and paves the way for other mods. It sounds great.

I'm really interested to see what the dyno results are on the 50-state legal catback option as well!

My only gripe is the tips. I also understand why they are what they are. The question I have on those is - are the mufflers mirror images of one another from a location perspective? What I am wondering is if I were to pick up some single rolled edge tip (like the stock SS tip, just larger diameter), would they be spaced evenly on the rear of the car, or is one side of the exhaust asymmetrical to the other.

All in all, I just wanted to chime in and say that there IS at least one potential customer here who truly appreciates what this is. It looks like a nice upgrade over stock with none of the hassles of the other current offerings. It's exactly what I am looking for from a performance, sound, material, and fitment perspective.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
This product was just brought to my attention today and I read all 20 pages.

I consider my Camaro more of a cruiser. It's a vert, and I refuse to put a cage in it, so it'll never see a track. I want to mod it, but don't want to really impact the reliability of the vehicle. I am also lowered. I would like to bump up the power a little.,

I know exhaust is the starting point, but I don't want to kill my ground clearance as it's already about as little as I can stand. I also don't want a loud obnoxious exhaust, especially a raspy one.

When I first saw this, I initially thought "yeah, but it's probably aluminized steel". I'm pleasantly surprised to see this is stainless. The price is more than I would like to pay (I'm just cheap), but I totally understand the pricing - comparatively, I think this is a great deal. I am really impressed by how it tucks.

I don't subscribe to the "mo is betta" mentality. I don't need the stiffest coil spring rates, the biggest cam, the largest exhaust...this really looks like it'd suit my needs very well. Tucks as good or better than the stock exhaust. Provides a good 20-25 rwhp gain from the sound of it, and paves the way for other mods. It sounds great.

I'm really interested to see what the dyno results are on the 50-state legal catback option as well!

My only gripe is the tips. I also understand why they are what they are. The question I have on those is - are the mufflers mirror images of one another from a location perspective? What I am wondering is if I were to pick up some single rolled edge tip (like the stock SS tip, just larger diameter), would they be spaced evenly on the rear of the car, or is one side of the exhaust asymmetrical to the other.

All in all, I just wanted to chime in and say that there IS at least one potential customer here who truly appreciates what this is. It looks like a nice upgrade over stock with none of the hassles of the other current offerings. It's exactly what I am looking for from a performance, sound, material, and fitment perspective.
Thanks for your post. Due to their 6" diameter (the main factor behind the system's ability to attenuate sound and drone like it does), the mufflers not able to be centered in the exhaust openings in the rear bumper, which means single round tips attached to each muffler outlet would not be equidistant from the vehicle center line. You could adapt the stock flattened rectangular Z28 tips tips to the system as they are also asymmetric in nature like the tips on the Hooker system. The only way to get two round mufflers centered in the exhaust openings is to use mufflers that are a maximum of 4" round, which diminishes their attenuation effectiveness. The bright spot in all of this is the asymmetrical geometry of the tips is only noticeable from under the car and is not noticed when the car is on the ground being driven.

Last edited by Toddoky; 11-04-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply Toddoky.

Makes sense about the tips - and, honestly, the asymmetry of them isn't what bothers me...I prefer the "dual single" look (but dual duals are acceptable to me too), but I'd really like either a rolled edge or double walled tip. I did see you mention that it's a possibility others will be offered down the road.

Any ideas on when you'll have the catback on a vehicle and get it on the dyno?

Thanks for all the information you're providing in this thread. It's extraordinarily helpful. I can only begin to imagine the amount of time you have spent on this thread alone!

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust