Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Developing adapters to connect the exhaust system to competitor's headers is not feasible as we do not posses access to their master samples or have the ability to inspect and validate the control mechanisms incorporated into their build fixtures.
I completely understand the reasoning. It really makes no difference to me, as I intend to either buy the whole system, or just the exhaust and have it custom mated to the long tubes I have.

With that being said, I will emphasize my view on the tips. They definitely bother me, and I think that is more of a selling point than the LT situation. I know things don't happen overnight and I'm sure there will be plenty of development.

I feel people will get over the "performance numbers" situation, but if it wasn't for the fact I have no problem cutting the tips off and having my shop weld on a set of SLP 4in tips to fit, then that would be a big issue. I don't think it's reasonable to spend that money, and have it not look up to my standards of what I spent. I'm not sure if other people feel the same, but I AM sure there is a pretty simple and inexpensive fix to this.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting or repeating myself, but exhaust tips are a huge thing to me, and I feel like it's a bigger deal than it seems at the moment in the midst of the LT issue.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
I completely understand the reasoning. It really makes no difference to me, as I intend to either buy the whole system, or just the exhaust and have it custom mated to the long tubes I have.

With that being said, I will emphasize my view on the tips. They definitely bother me, and I think that is more of a selling point than the LT situation. I know things don't happen overnight and I'm sure there will be plenty of development.

I feel people will get over the "performance numbers" situation, but if it wasn't for the fact I have no problem cutting the tips off and having my shop weld on a set of SLP 4in tips to fit, then that would be a big issue. I don't think it's reasonable to spend that money, and have it not look up to my standards of what I spent. I'm not sure if other people feel the same, but I AM sure there is a pretty simple and inexpensive fix to this.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting or repeating myself, but exhaust tips are a huge thing to me, and I feel like it's a bigger deal than it seems at the moment in the midst of the LT issue.
Tip appearance is a very personal thing to many people; I personally prefer the understated look of single wall tips and don't care for bling in that area of my vehicles...that may have something to do with me being primarily a classic truck and muscle car type guy, which is a segment of the market where fancy tips are much more uncommon than on late-model cars. Something will come in the future I'm sure, but it's not something that will happen in the next few months based on the fullness of our development schedule. I hope you are able to find something that meets your needs. I forgot to mention that the tips are clamped onto the mufflers, so if you choose to use some other tips you won't have to do any cutting to remove these tips.

Last edited by user 4737373; 07-21-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Tip appearance is a very personal thing to many people; I personally prefer the understated look of single wall tips and don't care for bling in that area of my vehicles...that may have something to do with me being primarily a classic truck and muscle car type guy, which is a segment of the market where fancy tips are much more uncommon than on late-model cars. Something will come in the future I'm sure, but it's not something that will happen in the next few months based on the fullness of our development schedule. I hope you are able to find something that meets your needs.
Very true, and I'm making the mistake of speaking for a community as far as taste. I'm not trying to debate on what looks better, all I wish to say is that an availability of choices is what I feel would get this product the farthest, and I think the exhaust tips is a large selling point, with the least production cost. I could however, be completely wrong and regardless of my opinions, I understand that I'm not the one designing this product. I just wish to help

Either way, I feel this product is a HUGE step in the right direction for the F-Body community as a whole, and even though it isn't exactly what EVERYONE wants, it's definitely something I would purchase, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

And I also am extremely appreciative of your time here answering questions and doing your best to hear from the community you plan on selling to.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
Very true, and I'm making the mistake of speaking for a community as far as taste. I'm not trying to debate on what looks better, all I wish to say is that an availability of choices is what I feel would get this product the farthest, and I think the exhaust tips is a large selling point, with the least production cost. I could however, be completely wrong and regardless of my opinions, I understand that I'm not the one designing this product. I just wish to help

Either way, I feel this product is a HUGE step in the right direction for the F-Body community as a whole, and even though it isn't exactly what EVERYONE wants, it's definitely something I would purchase, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

And I also am extremely appreciative of your time here answering questions and doing your best to hear from the community you plan on selling to.
We're all here to learn from each other.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the volume of this system like compared to the Hooker catback currently offered for the fbodys? If it's as loud or louder I would consider buying this system and butchering it to fit my tips and long tubes.

Adding cats to my magnaflow catback made my car sound practically stock even with my long tubes and cam. I would need this system to be louder to be worth while. I remember the Hooker catback being a somewhat louder than the Magnaflow catback.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
What is the volume of this system like compared to the Hooker catback currently offered for the fbodys? If it's as loud or louder I would consider buying this system and butchering it to fit my tips and long tubes.

Adding cats to my magnaflow catback made my car sound practically stock even with my long tubes and cam. I would need this system to be louder to be worth while. I remember the Hooker catback being a somewhat louder than the Magnaflow catback.
I've never heard the Magnaflow system with or without cats, so I can't make a comparison in regards to that system. The best characteristic of an X-style crossover is its ability to converge the exhaust pulses and attenuate drone, which is primarily what makes this system so enjoyable to experience. Even with no cats the system is never harsh or annoying sounding and produces quite a growl when you mash the go pedal aggressively,
Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

I understand that which is why I asked how loud it is compared to the Hooker catback. I can then draw my own comparison from there having heard the Hooker next to the Magnaflow. Surely you've heard the Hooker catback?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Banned

I understand that which is why I asked how loud it is compared to the Hooker catback. I can then draw my own comparison from there having heard the Hooker next to the Magnaflow. Surely you've heard the Hooker catback?
The existing Hooker 4th-gen system was designed long before I started here and I've only heard it up close on a 3rd-gen IROC-Z with a built LT1 that had it adapted to it. That car sounded really good from the outside, but I spent no time inside the car that would allow me to judge the sound quality/volume as the driver would hear it.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

My main concern, and I'm sure the concern of a few others, is how loud it sounds outside the car. The videos helped give an idea of tone but the only way for some of us to estimate how loud the system is in person is to compare it to more well known and commonly installed catbacks (Hooker, Magnaflow, gmmg, slp dual dual, etc..) I want my car's presence to be known when it's started and running. That was the downfall of my magnaflow catback. Once I put cats in it my car was no more audibly noticeable idling in a parking lot or driving normally down the road than a Honda Accord.

If I can have good volume outside the car and reduced drone inside the car it's a win even if it has to be hacked up a little to fit my preferences.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

My main concern, and I'm sure the concern of a few others, is how loud it sounds outside the car. The videos helped give an idea of tone but the only way for some of us to estimate how loud the system is in person is to compare it to more well known and commonly installed catbacks (Hooker, Magnaflow, gmmg, slp dual dual, etc..) I want my car's presence to be known when it's started and running. That was the downfall of my magnaflow catback. Once I put cats in it my car was no more audibly noticeable idling in a parking lot or driving normally down the road than a Honda Accord.

If I can have good volume outside the car and reduced drone inside the car it's a win even if it has to be hacked up a little to fit my preferences.
I will be able to provide some more comparative feedback of that nature in the future as the 3rd-gen car I spoke of will be swapping out the current Hooker single pipe system that is on it for this dual system with everything else on the car remaining the same. The car has long-tubes on it, so it's very close to the set-up you're wondering about.

I don't know exactly when that's going to happen, but I will provide info on it here when it does and the outcome is known.

In making that statement I guess I've sort of let the cat out of the bag as to what my next swap preview thread is going to be covering, so I'll make it official here and state that the next Hooker LS swap system of components will be for 3rd-gen F-bodies...including a 3rd-gen specific version of the dual exhaust system.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Hey guys, for those that have become interested in this thread based on the 50-state legal version of the exhaust system I mentioned, I would like to report that the adaptation I performed to the system today to work out the connections was a complete success. It was so simple in fact that I don't believe those wanting to connect the exhaust system to a set of long-tubes with have much trouble in doing so. The 50-state legal dual exhaust should be available for purchase within 45 days.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Will it be coming with an EO# or is it 50 State based on not changing the manifolds and cats?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by -Op-
Sweet! Will it be coming with an EO# or is it 50 State based on not changing the manifolds and cats?
Correct, since it will attach behind the stock cats no EO exemption is required for it to be used legally on any car.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Toddoky, I know you've spoken to it before, but can you comment on 2.5" true duals vs a full 3" with y system in terms of power handling?

Are they comparable, or would the 3" support more power?

And I'm assuming you have a decibel meter at the shop: can you get some readings at idle? I know with the manifolds it'll be quieter, but I'd like to see how much quieter the system would be than mine (although, I'm just using an iPhone app for my readings...)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

I will be able to provide some more comparative feedback of that nature in the future as the 3rd-gen car I spoke of will be swapping out the current Hooker single pipe system that is on it for this dual system with everything else on the car remaining the same. The car has long-tubes on it, so it's very close to the set-up you're wondering about.

I don't know exactly when that's going to happen, but I will provide info on it here when it does and the outcome is known.
I shall wait with bated breath.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Very interested in a mid length header, ground clearance is a huge concern on my road race 4th gen. Not concerned with every last HP.

I would love to see an a/b comparison with the current hooker long tubes and 3 inch y-pipe compared to the new mid length and 3 inch y-pipe. I'm willing to bet power would be similar, especially on a street car that doesn't have a finely tuned exhaust for a specific power band like a race car does.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Default Sound clips?

Any updates or sound clips on this setup?

Now if only someone could come up with a system to make our F bodies sound like them Z06's
Old 07-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Very interested in a mid length header, ground clearance is a huge concern on my road race 4th gen. Not concerned with every last HP.

I would love to see an a/b comparison with the current hooker long tubes and 3 inch y-pipe compared to the new mid length and 3 inch y-pipe. I'm willing to bet power would be similar, especially on a street car that doesn't have a finely tuned exhaust for a specific power band like a race car does.
You and those who share your sensibilities would be prime targets for these new components. That would be a good comparative test, but we did not develop a Y-pipe to go with the new mid-length headers. A more representative test would be this full system compared to a typical long-tube/Y-pipe/single muffler set-up. I hope I will get more opportunities to dyno various combinations of. these parts in the near future.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AntiPeaceMilitias
Any updates or sound clips on this setup?

Now if only someone could come up with a system to make our F bodies sound like them Z06's
There are sound clips on posts 159 and 161...the next sound clips I will post will be of the 50-state legal cat-back sometime next month. I wish I could help you on the ZO6 sound emulation, but GM didn't give us aftermarket design engineers much creative freedom with the underside of these cars. The headers are now available and we are shooting for the exhaust systems to be available by the end of the month.

Last edited by user 4737373; 07-25-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

That suggestion is one I like, but one that typically doesn't work out in practice since you have no control over when other manufacturers execute design revisions or obsolete a part number and also do not have access to their master samples to design products to. Using production parts for such development work is not desirable due to the production tolerances present.
A couple years ago I probably wouldn't have understood this quite as well, but now that I'm studying mechanical engineering I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's a huge pain trying to design something without having the original drawings/tolerances/etc because there's no way to tell where your overlaps are going to lie.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust