Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by samerickson89
A couple years ago I probably wouldn't have understood this quite as well, but now that I'm studying mechanical engineering I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's a huge pain trying to design something without having the original drawings/tolerances/etc because there's no way to tell where your overlaps are going to lie.
That's right, and if revisions are made to the other product that affect the connection point geometry you could be stuck with useless products on your shelf, or users might blame the fitment issue on your own product instead of the one that was revised.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Toddoky, any more pictures you can share of the mid-length headers? Specifically around the oil filter, as I run an oil cooler with -10 lines that mount to the pad above the filter.

Are there any plans to offer a y-pipe for the mid-lengths?
Old 07-25-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Toddoky, any more pictures you can share of the mid-length headers? Specifically around the oil filter, as I run an oil cooler with -10 lines that mount to the pad above the filter.

Are there any plans to offer a y-pipe for the mid-lengths?
Look at the top two photos in the very first post I made and you can see that you could probably fit a bowling ball between the header and the oil filter, so you have total freedom to do whatever you want relative to running an oil cooler.

There are no plans at this point for a Y-pipe for the mid-lengths.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
There are sound clips on posts 159 and 161...the next sound clips I will post will be of the 50-state legal cat-back sometime next month. I wish I could help you on the ZO6 sound emulation, but GM didn't give us aftermarket design engineers much creative freedom with the underside of these cars. The headers are now available and we are shooting for the exhaust systems to be available by the end of the month.
I hear'ya. Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Toddoky, just realized there were vids posted. Sounds better to me than my borla y pipe set up!

Quick question however, does that car have the whole setup or just the catback?

If its the whole setup, do you think the tone and volume will be more aggressive with some longtubes as opposed to the blackheart mids?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR
Hey Toddoky, just realized there were vids posted. Sounds better to me than my borla y pipe set up!

Quick question however, does that car have the whole setup or just the catback?

If its the whole setup, do you think the tone and volume will be more aggressive with some longtubes as opposed to the blackheart mids?
The car has the full set-up. A set of long tubes will have an affect on the sound, but I don't see it making a night and day difference.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car has the full set-up. A set of long tubes will have an affect on the sound, but I don't see it making a night and day difference.
How loud comparably to... say a loudmouth or borla with stock manifolds is this?

I'd imagine its a bit quieter with much smoother sound?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR
How loud comparably to... say a loudmouth or borla with stock manifolds is this?

I'd imagine its a bit quieter with much smoother sound?
I have never heard either of those systems in person, so I cannot provide an objective comparison to them...the system is noticeably smoother with less drone than the current Hooker long tubes, Y-pipe and single pipe cat-back with the Aerochamber muffler.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You keep talking about how smooth it is and how much drone it doesn't have. I think a lot of us really just want to know how loud it is. I've seen several people hint around about that in this thread, asking for comparisons to other systems so they have a frame of reference. Many of us like our cars to be heard as much as seen, and not just at wot. I know that's really my only hang up right now. The price is right. The quality seems good. I just need to know that if I have that exhaust on my car it will be heard, both at idle and cruise. Just search the forum for reviews on the magnaflow catback. One of the leading responses everyone gives is that it's too quiet. Yes loudness is subjective, but that shows volume is high up there on people's list of reasons to buy a certain exhaust system.

I think you would do well bring in some other cars or find other systems and compare them. There can't be a shortage of long tube, ypipe, catback cars around you to fire up next to your midlengths and duals. You could use a db meter or just your own perception and relay it to us. If I knew it was going to be louder than my Magnaflow catback I'd buy it tomorrow and make it fit. Until I know I'm not side-steping or going backwards I'm not buying. I have friends with fbody cars wondering and thinking the same thing. There are probably even people wondering the opposite, wanting to know how quiet it is because they want duals but don't want to tick off their neighbors.

And just to be clear, you don't have to compare it to a Magnaflow in particular, but get a few different systems to compare it to and we can piece together where your system fits since most of us have pretty good ideas of how all the existing catbacks and configurations compare to eachother.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
You keep talking about how smooth it is and how much drone it doesn't have. I think a lot of us really just want to know how loud it is. I've seen several people hint around about that in this thread, asking for comparisons to other systems so they have a frame of reference. Many of us like our cars to be heard as much as seen, and not just at wot. I know that's really my only hang up right now. The price is right. The quality seems good. I just need to know that if I have that exhaust on my car it will be heard, both at idle and cruise. Just search the forum for reviews on the magnaflow catback. One of the leading responses everyone gives is that it's too quiet. Yes loudness is subjective, but that shows volume is high up there on people's list of reasons to buy a certain exhaust system.

I think you would do well bring in some other cars or find other systems and compare them. There can't be a shortage of long tube, ypipe, catback cars around you to fire up next to your midlengths and duals. You could use a db meter or just your own perception and relay it to us. If I knew it was going to be louder than my Magnaflow catback I'd buy it tomorrow and make it fit. Until I know I'm not side-steping or going backwards I'm not buying. I have friends with fbody cars wondering and thinking the same thing. There are probably even people wondering the opposite, wanting to know how quiet it is because they want duals but don't want to tick off their neighbors.

And just to be clear, you don't have to compare it to a Magnaflow in particular, but get a few different systems to compare it to and we can piece together where your system fits since most of us have pretty good ideas of how all the existing catbacks and configurations compare to eachother.
I can certainly understand your hesitance to change to another set-up if you are so highly concerned with the difference in volume you might experience. Forums such as these are the best place to obtain unbiased opinions such as you are requesting and once these systems start shipping out and getting installed I'm sure there will be plenty of sources of comparisons for you to base your "buy" or "do not buy" decision. As far as I'm aware, there is no exhaust manufacturer in existence that captures comparative exhaust sound measurements of their competitor's systems. I see some value in your suggestion, but I don't have the influence or authority within Holley to have such an resource expenditure increase added to any project I work on here. Per the schedule dictated to me by management, my work with 4th-gen product development is done for time being and I'm finishing up a 3rd-gen F-body swap system of parts and getting ready to begin another.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Toddoky, a suggestion that runs similar to what Rebel is saying. Do you guys still have the drsign and test vehicle there? If you do, Im sure a forum member on here probably wouldnt mind volunteering their time to come by and hear a comparison. It would just take a location and a time windows that would work. I would just figure something like that would add no expense to your project and such.

If not, were just waiting until some people here put up comparisons and opinions. Eithrr way works, just affects when some people will buy. I know I would personally like a system thats a tad bit louder than stock at idle, a bit louder when just cruising, and lets itself be known at WOT.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -Op-
Toddoky, a suggestion that runs similar to what Rebel is saying. Do you guys still have the drsign and test vehicle there? If you do, Im sure a forum member on here probably wouldnt mind volunteering their time to come by and hear a comparison. It would just take a location and a time windows that would work. I would just figure something like that would add no expense to your project and such.

If not, were just waiting until some people here put up comparisons and opinions. Eithrr way works, just affects when some people will buy. I know I would personally like a system thats a tad bit louder than stock at idle, a bit louder when just cruising, and lets itself be known at WOT.
Yes, I have access to the car if I were requested by management to bring it in for some reason, but I would have to ask the owner if he would have the willingness or time to meet with an unknown person to do as you suggest. It just dawned on me that the car will be at the Holley trailer for both the Camaro Fest event next weekend and LS Fest next month (both here in Bowling Green), so that would provide the absolute best opportunity for someone to to obtain a comparitive listen and report back here to others.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

In the midst of all the pages of "why don't you make it exactly how I want it!!!!", I missed if this stuff is out for sale yet. Any part numbers? What constitutes "soon"?

NM, I found it at TS.

Back to your regularly scheduled "make a custom one for me and make sure it sounds how I want! " program.

Last edited by CoolAid; 08-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CoolAid
In the midst of all the pages of "why don't you make it exactly how I want it!!!!", I missed if this stuff is out for sale yet. Any part numbers? What constitutes "soon"?

NM, I found it at TS.

Back to your regularly scheduled "make a custom one for me and make sure it sounds how I want! " program.
It'll still be a couple more weeks until they are available due to a back log in our production schedule here in our Bowling Green facility...I've been looking at all the various components waiting for their turn through the production cells, so I know it's close at this point.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, for those that have become interested in this thread based on the 50-state legal version of the exhaust system I mentioned, I would like to report that the adaptation I performed to the system today to work out the connections was a complete success. It was so simple in fact that I don't believe those wanting to connect the exhaust system to a set of long-tubes with have much trouble in doing so. The 50-state legal dual exhaust should be available for purchase within 45 days.
Originally Posted by -Op-
Sweet! Will it be coming with an EO# or is it 50 State based on not changing the manifolds and cats?
Correct, since it will attach behind the stock cats no EO exemption is required for it to be used legally on any car.
Does this mean the headers designed for this exhaust system will not include cats? My state does not require an EO# as far as I know, but they do visually check for cats.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mad Machine
Does this mean the headers designed for this exhaust system will not include cats? My state does not require an EO# as far as I know, but they do visually check for cats.
The first version of the exhaust system that will be released will be the off-road version that connects to the mid-length headers with no provisions for cats. The release of the 50-state legal version that will connect to the outlets of the stock cats will follow behind that system.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

The first version of the exhaust system that will be released will be the off-road version that connects to the mid-length headers with no provisions for cats. The release of the 50-state legal version that will connect to the outlets of the stock cats will follow behind that system.
So if I wanted to use the mid length headers but keep cats, the exhaust system would have to be modified to accept cats? I know that technically wouldn't be 50-state legal, but as long as the inspectors here see cats they're happy. Of course then it wouldn't be a bolt on system. Sigh, I suppose leaving the stock manifolds on would keep things simple.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mad Machine
So if I wanted to use the mid length headers but keep cats, the exhaust system would have to be modified to accept cats? I know that technically wouldn't be 50-state legal, but as long as the inspectors here see cats they're happy. Of course then it wouldn't be a bolt on system. Sigh, I suppose leaving the stock manifolds on would keep things simple.
That's correct, modifying the system to accept cats would still not make it street legal as there are no A.I.R. or EGR provisions on the headers either.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Yes, I have access to the car if I were requested by management to bring it in for some reason, but I would have to ask the owner if he would have the willingness or time to meet with an unknown person to do as you suggest. It just dawned on me that the car will be at the Holley trailer for both the Camaro Fest event next weekend and LS Fest next month (both here in Bowling Green), so that would provide the absolute best opportunity for someone to to obtain a comparitive listen and report back here to others.

Gotcha. Like I said, it was just a thought. Thats all. Just trying to be helpful with it. I get that youd still have logistical constraints. No biggie, hopefully the LS Fest can give us some good insight. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would it make any difference in delivery time if the exhaust was ordered from one of the site vendors instead of ordering directly from the Holley site?

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust