Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad Machine
So if I wanted to use the mid length headers but keep cats, the exhaust system would have to be modified to accept cats? I know that technically wouldn't be 50-state legal, but as long as the inspectors here see cats they're happy. Of course then it wouldn't be a bolt on system. Sigh, I suppose leaving the stock manifolds on would keep things simple.
If you need cats for a visual, consider having hollow shells welded on with a bung for a fake O2. Just route the wire up like its actually connected. Tune out SES and when they roll their mirrors under just .
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSS
Would it make any difference in delivery time if the exhaust was ordered from one of the site vendors instead of ordering directly from the Holley site?
No, the order date is the only thing that will determine in what order the systems will ship out.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something I was pondering while at work today. Several parts to this so bear with me.

To Toddoky:The upcoming 50 state legal version will connect to the factory cats. This means the collectors for the front pipes will be in the same position as the factory y pipe would be, correct?

To anyone with long tubes: I've noticed that many LTs come with y pipes. They also have the option of either catted or ORY. I assume the catted version is because there is no room for cats before the y pipe when using LTs. Of course the factory y pipe does not have cats, as they are mounted to the manifolds before the y pipe. My question is, will LTs mount to the factory y pipe, or are the y pipes for LTs different?

I've noticed a lot of people are interested in a TD system that can be used with LTs. IF the front pipes for the 50 state version are in the same position as the factory y pipe, and IF LTs will connect to the factory y pipe, couldn't LTs be used with 50 state version? If any of my points are wrong please correct me.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CoolAid
If you need cats for a visual, consider having hollow shells welded on with a bung for a fake O2. Just route the wire up like its actually connected. Tune out SES and when they roll their mirrors under just .
That might work for a visual inspection, but the smell would still give it away. Two of my coworkers have Mustangs without cats and it's very obvious from the exhaust smell. Some of the inspectors are apparently idiots though, as one of them just passed inspection with his '96 GT. They showed him the exhaust manifold (with catless down pipes) and asked "Is this the cat?". He replied "Yes sir" and was given a sticker.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might work for a visual inspection, but the smell would still give it away. Two of my coworkers have Mustangs without cats and it's very obvious from the exhaust smell. Some of the inspectors are apparently idiots though, as one of them just passed inspection with his '96 GT. They showed him the exhaust manifold (with catless down pipes) and asked "Is this the cat?". He replied "Yes sir" and was given a sticker.
Is it your only car? Your state might have an exemption for "collector insurance policy" vehicles. My 2006 GTO was exempt in 2007 Pretty sure they deleted it out of the smog system entirely. I used to get 5 year tag options and the current owner probably doesn't even get asked about smog (although its probably been long destroyed/parted).
Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Is it your only car? Your state might have an exemption for "collector insurance policy" vehicles. My 2006 GTO was exempt in 2007 Pretty sure they deleted it out of the smog system entirely. I used to get 5 year tag options and the current owner probably doesn't even get asked about smog (although its probably been long destroyed/parted).
I also have a '91 Caprice. Next year that car will be old enough (25 years) for historic plates which makes it exempt from state inspection. I think there is an exemption for collector insurance policy cars, but I don't know the details on it. I'm not looking to get too crazy with my T/A right now, so having to stick with stock manifolds and cats isn't a big deal. I can always add headers later when the car is old enough to be emission exempt or I move to a state without inspections. Besides, the smell of a car without cats is obvious enough for the cops to notice. I don't really want to give them an excuse to pull me over.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered last night thru one of the site vendors.
I am hooking them up to my Speed Engineering LTs
Cant wait for Hooker to start shipping out.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to hear this with long tubes and a cam.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RGSS
Ordered last night thru one of the site vendors.
I am hooking them up to my Speed Engineering LTs
Cant wait for Hooker to start shipping out.
Post up pictures and video when you get them on.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

So I was wondering, if I buy this kit and hack it up to fit the LT's I currently have, will I just be able to buy the individual parts I need to connect it if/when Blackheart LT's come out? Obviously not looking for a definite answer since it's not even in the works yet, just wondering if that's the direction you guys would most likely go with that.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samerickson89
So I was wondering, if I buy this kit and hack it up to fit the LT's I currently have, will I just be able to buy the individual parts I need to connect it if/when Blackheart LT's come out? Obviously not looking for a definite answer since it's not even in the works yet, just wondering if that's the direction you guys would most likely go with that.
We've never offered individual pieces of exhaust systems in the past, so I suspect they won't be offered with this system either. Try to keep the adaptation work as close to the header collectors as possible so as to leave the exhaust as un-molested as possible to preserve any compatibility you might want it to have at a later date. If you don't cut the inlet tubes beyond the first 2.5" slip connector on each tube you should be fine.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
We've never offered individual pieces of exhaust systems in the past, so I suspect they won't be offered with this system either. Try to keep the adaptation work as close to the header collectors as possible so as to leave the exhaust as un-molested as possible to preserve any compatibility you might want it to have at a later date. If you don't cut the inlet tubes beyond the first 2.5" slip connector on each tube you should be fine.
Well that's kind of a bummer, but I'm glad I asked ahead of time! I might just have new inlet tubes made for the time being and just set aside the ones from the kit.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samerickson89
Well that's kind of a bummer, but I'm glad I asked ahead of time! I might just have new inlet tubes made for the time being and just set aside the ones from the kit.
I would call that a smart move.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

According to Holley's website the 50 state legal version of this exhaust is now available. I'm seriously considering the 409 stainless version. Are there any video clips with this version mounted to the stock manifolds and cats? Any photos of it mounted to the car? Is all necessary hardware (bolts, hangers, ect) included with the kit? I'm close to pulling the trigger, but at $800 I want to be sure this will be the right exhaust for me.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70501432-RHKR
Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

According to Holley's website the 50 state legal version of this exhaust is now available. I'm seriously considering the 409 stainless version. Are there any video clips with this version mounted to the stock manifolds and cats? Any photos of it mounted to the car? Is all necessary hardware (bolts, hangers, ect) included with the kit? I'm close to pulling the trigger, but at $800 I want to be sure this will be the right exhaust for me.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../70501432-RHKR
The 50-state legal cat/back has been entered into our system and loaded onto our website as you've noted, but it will take a couple of more weeks until there is product on the shelf that is able to be shipped. I do have photos of the connections to the stock cats under the car and will post them up tomorrow for you. In a related update, the off-road dual exhaust system first production run started moving through the welding cells today.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The 50-state legal cat/back has been entered into our system and loaded onto our website as you've noted, but it will take a couple of more weeks until there is product on the shelf that is able to be shipped. I do have photos of the connections to the stock cats under the car and will post them up tomorrow for you. In a related update, the off-road dual exhaust system first production run started moving through the welding cells today.
Sounds good. Thanks for the updates.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Default 50-state legal dual cat back connections

Per your request Mad Machine...here's a couple of photos that show the connection points of the 50-state legal dual cat back to the outlets of the stock converters; the orange painted tubing components are our master sample parts.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Teching In

any sound clips for the 50 state?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00TAHawk
any sound clips for the 50 state?
Not yet, but I will make a point to record some when I bring the B4C prototype car back in the shop to install a production system once the 1st production run gets completed. I'm also going to make a couple of before/after dyno pulls on it since it still equipped with the compete stock Y-pipe and muffler system.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I've missed a few pages of the conversation: has anybody installed it yet? Or is it still shipping?

I'm still on the fence myself: I'm a heads/cam/ long tube car, so I think I could still be okay with 2.5"... But there's also a group here who says that 3" is the sure fire way to go to prevent power loss.

My corsa is loud and raspy (barely passed inspection this year...), so I'm in the market.... And I'm still in need of a tune, so now is the time.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust