Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by samerickson89
Just wondering, does this mean both are stainless or only the headers?
Yes, both are stainless steel and the headers will eventually be available in mild steel versions also.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nsm92LS1
Definitely interested in this. I was on the fence about the kooks system. But my camaro is never going to be close to the 1200hp that said system is supposed to be capable of supporting. Thread subscribed.
Your interest is appreciated. You're looking at it from the same logical point of view we used to develop the system; it's not intended to compete head-to-head with a true dual 3", but rather offer better performance, ground clearance and sound than any of the Y-pipe systems can.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Your interest is appreciated. You're looking at it from the same logical point of view we used to develop the system; it's not intended to compete head-to-head with a true dual 3", but rather offer better performance, ground clearance and sound than any of the Y-pipe systems can.
Now is the 50 state legal system a real possibility, if so would you be able to upgrade to the mid lengths down road.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nsm92LS1
Now is the 50 state legal system a real possibility, if so would you be able to upgrade to the mid lengths down road.
The 50-state cat back is an absolute at this point, but it's going to take a few months for it to become available due to me having another swap project in process that needs to get done before I can work the details of that system out. I can't say at this point whether an upgrade to the mid-length headers would be possible from the 50-state system...those decisions are made by Product Managers and not not by us on the engineering staff.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Yes, both are stainless steel...
Outstanding. I'm ever more sold than I was before.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:50 AM
TECH Resident

I'm interested... But curious as to why this is in the Gen IV motor section?

Anyways, I have a couple of questions as well: it's hard for me to tell if there's an x-pipe in the system. It appears there may be,but it's not nearly as pronounced as many other x pipes out there... So I'm curious how that will affect power/sound.

Also, I'm curious about your included mufflers: are they just a packed, flow thru design?

And I'm sorry: is the whole system 304? Or just the tips?

I have a Corsa setup now attached to my ARH long tubes. I'm interested in improving the sound without having to switch back to stock springs. I can't wait to see how these sound, and how the perform vs a 3" catback (y-pipe) design.

Last edited by wayland1985; 06-19-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I'm interested... But curious as to why this is in the Gen IV motor section?

Anyways, I have a couple of questions as well: it's hard for me to tell if there's an x-pipe in the system. It appears there may be,but it's not nearly as pronounced as many other x pipes out there... So I'm curious how that will affect power/sound.

Also, I'm curious about your included mufflers: are they just a packed, flow thru design?

And I'm sorry: is the whole system 304? Or just the tips?

I have a Corsa setup now attached to my ARH long tubes. I'm interested in improving the sound without having to switch back to stock springs. I can't wait to see how these sound, and how the perform vs a 3" catback (y-pipe) design.
Hey wayland. Yeah, putting the thread here was an accidental move on my part, but since it's resided here for so long I'm hesitant to request that it be moved to a more appropriate section.

To answer your questions...Yes there is a merged X included in the exhaust system, which is very efficient at balancing the two separate branches of the system and smoothing the tone of the exhaust note.

The mufflers are a straight-through packed, absorption style design but their large 6" diameter provides excellent muffling qualities and makes the sound of the system awesome both in and out of the car.

The system will be available in two versions, one is like the one you see in this thread with 409ss tubing and 304ss mufflers and tips and the other one is 304ss throughout.

The development car used had Eibach lowering springs all the way around it and can be driven anywhere without issue, so if you your car is lowered in the same manner I wouldn't be concerned with ground clearance.

Todd
Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Hey wayland. Yeah, putting the thread here was an accidental move on my part, but since it's resided here for so long I'm hesitant to request that it be moved to a more appropriate section.

To answer your questions...Yes there is a merged X included in the exhaust system, which is very efficient at balancing the two separate branches of the system and smoothing the tone of the exhaust note.

The mufflers are a straight-through packed, absorption style design but their large 6" diameter provides excellent muffling qualities and makes the sound of the system awesome both in and out of the car.

The system will be available in two versions, one is like the one you see in this thread with 409ss tubing and 304ss mufflers and tips and the other one is 304ss throughout.

The development car used had Eibach lowering springs all the way around it and can be driven anywhere without issue, so if you your car is lowered in the same manner I wouldn't be concerned with ground clearance.

Todd
Is there a rough estimate of what the 304 and 409 difference will be cost-wise?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Is there a rough estimate of what the 304 and 409 difference will be cost-wise?
The 304 systems were loaded into the system at the beginning of this week, so I can check into that for you on Monday and report back what I find.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

The 304 systems were loaded into the system at the beginning of this week, so I can check into that for you on Monday and report back what I find.
Any updates?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The only part of the 4th gen camaro I have disliked so far has been the y-pipe exhaust (the sound of them). Am think very seriously about buying one of these systems and adapting to my LT's. BUT... what about torque arms, I have a mid mount Spohn torque arm. Will this exhaust system work with it?
Old 06-24-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Any updates?
The price difference in the suggested retail price between the 409ss and 304ss versions of the system is $200; that will give you a general idea of what you're looking at, but you may end up paying less depending on where you purchase the kit from.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by farmington
The only part of the 4th gen camaro I have disliked so far has been the y-pipe exhaust (the sound of them). Am think very seriously about buying one of these systems and adapting to my LT's. BUT... what about torque arms, I have a mid mount Spohn torque arm. Will this exhaust system work with it?
I could probably make a judgment of compatibility with your Spohn torque arm if you posted up some undercar photos of it.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im interested in the 50-State Legal system. Smog laws to deal with here in Cali, so I need to retain stock manifolds or short tubes. Couple of questions, do we have a soud clip yet? Im curious about the increase in volume from the system, I want it to sound good, but dont want to get too far from stock DB levels. And will there be a price difference between the 50 State and Off-road versions?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -Op-
Im interested in the 50-State Legal system. Smog laws to deal with here in Cali, so I need to retain stock manifolds or short tubes. Couple of questions, do we have a soud clip yet? Im curious about the increase in volume from the system, I want it to sound good, but dont want to get too far from stock DB levels. And will there be a price difference between the 50 State and Off-road versions?
The 50-state cat back will take a few months to create as it will not be addressed until I wrap up another project I'm working on. As far as pricing concerned, I don't see it varying much from this system.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

I would assume the difference in connecting to the mid length versus the factory cats would just be a few inches of piping and a flange more or less. Been looking at the pictures, you guys really did some work on this system. Any description of volune with these mufflers and all?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -Op-
I would assume the difference in connecting to the mid length versus the factory cats would just be a few inches of piping and a flange more or less. Been looking at the pictures, you guys really did some work on this system. Any description of volune with these mufflers and all?
Yes, the differences are expected to be minimal. There was a lot of effort expended on the fitment and sound details of the system and it really shows through on the end result. Driving the development car is quite enjoyable and the volume level is very surprising for a straight through system without cats. I'm going to try and get a Go Pro camera mounted to the car this week and capture some sound clips.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Excellent. Very excited to see that video when you get a chance. Thank you for answering my questions.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Toddoky, I like the idea of a 2.5" exhaust system.. for those who don't care about optimal performance. Either way, we need more true dual options for F Bodies (everyone hates the rasp a Y pipe creates).

Looking forward to sound clips and please make sure the car used is cammed
Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Toddoky, I like the idea of a 2.5" exhaust system.. for those who don't care about optimal performance. Either way, we need more true dual options for F Bodies (everyone hates the rasp a Y pipe creates).

Looking forward to sound clips and please make sure the car used is cammed
I will do my best to capture something useful, the car used for development is equipped with a stock cam however, so we'll have to start there.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust