Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke at wot and back firing at 3k Rpms and no power please help me

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke at wot and back firing at 3k Rpms and no power please help me

Hey guys so my car ( 2000 camaro) is blowing white smoke at wot and then back firing when I let off at around 3-4k Rpms it will still back fire when in park and reved up to 3-4k Rpms and the car feels like it has no power at all. It took 7 seconds to go from 0-60 that's really bad. The car was sitting since 2008 and I bought it from the original owner he did some mods to it like a cold air induction a lid headers 3200 stall tune de screened maf and cutted the cats off and free mods I changed all the fluids and plugs and wires fuel filter etc. Cleaned the maf to try to get back some power but still nothing it felt a little better but can tell it's still holding back the car back fired so back that it actually poped a whole in the stock rusty muffler but at least it's louder now lol anyway guys. Can someone please help me out on what can this be car also has a 150 k on it
Old 07-20-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Have you put fresh gas in it? Ran seafoam or anything through the tank? If it sat for that long the injectors might be clogged.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you verified the maf is working? Try resetting the pcm and disconnect the sensor and go for a drive. The maf could have gone bad from sitting and is now giving bad readings....Had that happen with a few cars that sat.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Have you put fresh gas in it? Ran seafoam or anything through the tank? If it sat for that long the injectors might be clogged.
Yeah it had a quarter when I bought it. So I put some fuel treatment in it ran it untill the light came on filled it up and put more fuel treatment in it. I did use seafoam in the gas tank the first time and then I put some Lucas injector cleaner. Before I filled it And I also sea foamed the car like the thread said to and changed the oil after. I put a totally of 250 miles on the car since I had it with a trip to the track once and I did about 10 runs plus and a few roll races with it on the way there and then all my buddies was like your car is blowing white smoke. I didn't think about it that much figured it sat for a while maybe it will just go away or I thought there was some more seafoam in the crank case. But it still smokes Before I went to the track I had fresh oil in it Mobil 1 a brand new set of ngk tr-55 gapped at 0.55 brand new mad wires and a brand new fuel filter. And good 93 octane gas. But it still smoked. And it has no power now and idk what's wrong with it if I had a pc I would post up a video for you guys to show u how slow it is. Mid you guys want Pm me and I can send you the video
Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redbird555
Have you verified the maf is working? Try resetting the pcm and disconnect the sensor and go for a drive. The maf could have gone bad from sitting and is now giving bad readings....Had that happen with a few cars that sat.
How would I do that I tried today. Something similar to that. I couldn't drive it thou do to a thunder storm. But this morning I un plugged the maf sensor and started it ran like it normally does idle was at around 1k then when it got warmed dropped down a little around 700-800 I reved it up to see if it will do anything and same thing revs went up on there back down at around 3k back fire. Then I plugged the maf back in and same thing
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would check for codes and make sure fuel pressure is good. Id also check compression. A friend of mine broke a pushrod missing a gear the car smoked white. We thought it had a blown head gasket but I think since the intake valve wasn't opening the fuel was puddling in the runner and vacuum sucked it into the other cylinders causing the smoke. Just some things to look at.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Dirty injs...

Sounds like w/ the exh backfire, you have an inj[s] dumping fuel, and it's igniting in the exh system.
Seafoam, and all that in tank cleaner stuff, won't clean injs that have had nasty fuel in them, for 7 yrs.
Have them cleaned like they should be..Off the car.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Hey guys a little update. So I was messing around with it today and I think I have a bigger problem then a Maf I just changed the oil 400 miles ago and I checked the dip stick and its low lower then the crosshatch on the dip stick I think I am getting blow by is that cause by the cylinder head value seats or something else..???
Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the coolant level. Might have blown a head gasket. Pull some easy to get at plugs and post the pics of what the tips look like.

Consumed coolant will come out as white smoke. Usually without a heavy smokey smell. Its mostly steam.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Hey guys a little update about my car I was out racing the other night and all my friends told me that it's throwing black smoke not white or bluefish they said no it's for sure black so what can be the problem that means un burnt fuel right..?? Which will explain the back fire and it's running super rich you can't stand by it while it's running without your eyes watering... And also I found out why it didn't have power turns out the throttle cable wasn't opening the throttle body all the way.. I know I should of check that and I was stupid but not it has power lol

Quick Reply: White smoke at wot and back firing at 3k Rpms and no power please help me