Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want loud exhaust.. VERY loud..

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True duals with a x-pipe and 1 chamber Flowmasters. Hear it and you won't want anything else.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ohmyneck
Here's the 2 decisions I've brought it down to...

I'll go with either Jet Hot coated LT's or the Hooker coated LT's..
with no cats

and either true duals with an X-pipe and flowmaster 1 chambers

OR

and X-pipe and Borla XR-1 mufflers.. which do you think would sound better or louder? For now It will be on a stock car, but hopefully by christmas it will be breathing a little louder with a nice cam
Flowmasters would probably give me that old school muscle sound too
Old 06-08-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run SLP LT's, ORY and a Magnaflow catback - Sounds great, deep tone, quiet in car and SCREAMS at WOT. You are going to find that the XR-1s are HUGE especially if you have a lowered car (10" diameter?). You are also going to find that if you put any sort of muffler/resonator under the car, it is going to get loud inside the car as well - especially inside a coupe. I know, I know, you don't care... neither did I at the time... I do now! Save the money and do it right. I had 3 different cat backs on my car before I went with the Magnaflow.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Open headers are too loud to consider, trust me. The best exhaust would be true duals with cutouts right off the collector. I will get electric cutouts on mine eventually. If you must know......open header sounds, well, too good to put into words It sounds that good. I LOVED it, ran it for weeks, but it sucked when I had anyone in the car because we could NOT hear each other talk even at very low RPM and my neighbors were MAJORLY annoyed by it, let me tell you.
Are you sure its tooooo loud? Im 18 and LOVE loud cars. I can barely hear anyone in 6th on the interstate anyway with my current setup. If its about as loud as a cutout then i can def deal with it. A friend of mine has one on his ws6 and its barely louder than me.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
I run SLP LT's, ORY and a Magnaflow catback - Sounds great, deep tone, quiet in car and SCREAMS at WOT. You are going to find that the XR-1s are HUGE especially if you have a lowered car (10" diameter?). You are also going to find that if you put any sort of muffler/resonator under the car, it is going to get loud inside the car as well - especially inside a coupe. I know, I know, you don't care... neither did I at the time... I do now! Save the money and do it right. I had 3 different cat backs on my car before I went with the Magnaflow.
I wont get another cat-back. They just arent for me.. My car wont be a daily driver so it will only see some road time on the weekends. Maybe 1-2 times a week it will see some road time. True Duals are better flowing, louder, and will sound better than any cat-back i could buy on the market IMHO. Sure cat-backs will have a nice growl to them.. but when your cruising down the road and see a Mustang with true duals, it will sound like a ***** cat meow.. The only way I can get it to sound mean, and make people take a double take everytime i drive by is with true duals. No offense to the guys with cat-backs.. They just arent for me.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m_donze
Are you sure its tooooo loud? Im 18 and LOVE loud cars. I can barely hear anyone in 6th on the interstate anyway with my current setup. If its about as loud as a cutout then i can def deal with it. A friend of mine has one on his ws6 and its barely louder than me.
Where is the cutout? Open heades are LOUD . Seriously. I am only 20, was only 19 at the time it was open header, and love noise/loud cars/etc. It is not too loud to enjoy, but you do NOT want it full time. Period. True Duals with cutouts to open header would be best. You can cap/uncap at will. (man, I need to do that!)
Old 06-08-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me, I hate having that 3rd gen looking set up on my car, but people do look twice and even jump on the sidewalk when I give her a good whack. I wanted the true dual set up, but small town law enforcement would have had my a$$ and the interior drone is definately something I can't deal with. Alot of people recommended the Magnaflow to me, and I have to admit, now that it is broken in, it sounds lovely!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Where is the cutout? Open heades are LOUD . Seriously. I am only 20, was only 19 at the time it was open header, and love noise/loud cars/etc. It is not too loud to enjoy, but you do NOT want it full time. Period. True Duals with cutouts to open header would be best. You can cap/uncap at will. (man, I need to do that!)
well the way the shop did it was they put it at the beginning of the I-pipe and ran a pipe off the cutout to right about the axle and dumped it. And to give me some comprehension of the noise level, is open headers louder than the loudest harley you've heard?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah... don't even bring the horsepowerly challenged Mustangs into the picture. A guy has to throw thousands of dollars at his GT to make close to the HP of our cat-back cars! Except the '03 and up Cobra's. You can build a Rustang until you are blue in face - it is still a Mustang...
Old 06-08-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran my car with open headers once... Makes a NASCAR sound like Civic... STOCK!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

I wont get another cat-back. They just arent for me.. My car wont be a daily driver so it will only see some road time on the weekends. Maybe 1-2 times a week it will see some road time. True Duals are better flowing, louder, and will sound better than any cat-back i could buy on the market IMHO. Sure cat-backs will have a nice growl to them.. but when your cruising down the road and see a Mustang with true duals, it will sound like a ***** cat meow.. The only way I can get it to sound mean, and make people take a double take everytime i drive by is with true duals. No offense to the guys with cat-backs.. They just arent for me.
My catback exhaust will have you grabbing your ears in pain if you were behind it when i revved it. There are def loud catbacks out there you just have to make sure you get the right one. And as far as mustangs i have heard ONE that was louder but he was loping like crazy and put down 575

'02 SLP#686 did u think open headers was too loud?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Launching!

I still disagree, I'll never get the old school DEEP muscle car sound out of a cat-back. I've heard the hooker catback and its a little to tame for me, My Dynomouth sounds failry loud.. but not near loud enough, and not near deep enough. I still think you cant beat a True Dual setup in any way, shape or form. For the money, you can have a True Dual setup that flows better, sounds deeper and louder than any catback for a rough 500 installed
Old 06-08-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Sure cat-backs will have a nice growl to them.. but when your cruising down the road and see a Mustang with true duals, it will sound like a ***** cat meow..
Hmmm... hard for me to hear a Mustang's true duals while I'm looking at them in my rear view mirror.

Personally, I think my exhaust is louder and 'meaner' than any newer GT I've heard...
Old 06-08-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

As soon as I get another T/A, true duals with 1 chamber flows will be going on it before I even drive it home for the first time.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by m_donze
well the way the shop did it was they put it at the beginning of the I-pipe and ran a pipe off the cutout to right about the axle and dumped it. And to give me some comprehension of the noise level, is open headers louder than the loudest harley you've heard?
Open header will blow that away. In comparison to a harley.......that is a good question.......I think it was louder than any harley i have heard.........it's seriously MF-ing loud. When I put it in N and revved it, it had a sort of "whump, whump" sound to it, if you know what I mean, that is just insane. I told a friend of mine how loud it was, and he was like okay come pick me up and show me, and when I got there he was like HOLY ****, he said he thought he'd have to humor me and be like "oh yaeh, that's nice" and crap but it just blew him away he couldn't believe it. It basically sounds like a race car. Idle shook all the dishes in my house, and rattled loose crap. I was scared to go WOT for a little while, it was slow (running god awful rich, etc) but holy **** did it sound nice. You will just have to hear it for yourself. It's insanely awsome.

Oh yeah, I once took it to a local tunnel (full tunnel, not just underpass) and went WOT in first gear and the shift into second gear HURT my ears.

Edit: Damn you all for bringing up the sound of open headers!! Now you have gone and made me email larry at LS1speed to request he also weld a couple of cutouts after my collectors when I drop it off tomorrow......that is the third or fourth time in the past month or so that I have done that and the cost is adding up fast, i'm over $1,600 now. And it is suppose to rain the next five days.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-08-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Open header will blow that away. In comparison to a harley.......that is a good question.......I think it was louder than any harley i have heard.........it's seriously MF-ing loud. When I put it in N and revved it, it had a sort of "whump, whump" sound to it, if you know what I mean, that is just insane. I told a friend of mine how loud it was, and he was like okay come pick me up and show me, and when I got there he was like HOLY ****, he said he thought he'd have to humor me and be like "oh yaeh, that's nice" and crap but it just blew him away he couldn't believe it. It basically sounds like a race car. Idle shook all the dishes in my house, and rattled loose crap. I was scared to go WOT for a little while, it was slow (running god awful rich, etc) but holy **** did it sound nice. You will just have to hear it for yourself. It's insanely awsome.

Oh yeah, I once took it to a local tunnel (full tunnel, not just underpass) and went WOT in first gear and the shift into second gear HURT my ears.
well good because that is EXACTLY what im looking for! Did u ever have a friend drive ur car by u in another car just to hear it at WOT? My friend and i trade cars and just floor it by eachother and when mine goes by its really loud and you can feel it in the car but when his goes by you can def feel the sound I LOVE IT! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

this is what i have and i love it! its the perfect thing almost open headers when open and all the way back to a loudmouth when closed. (when closed the exhaust goes thru THREE bullets.
BTW when open the two bullets make my car sound BAD *** with that low muscle car rumble and nascar sound when i go WOT.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want that loud, but DEEP sounding muscle car rumble, just get an LT1 and throw a Flowmaster cat-back on it (talk about bassy). True duals on an LT1 would be even better.

For an LS1, without a doubt true duals, no cats, 3" x-pipe, and FLOWMASTER 1-CHAMBER MUFFLERS!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

i was just thinking...wouldnt open headers choke me out of the car? and is there any way to angle the dumps so it wouldnt be that bad?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Launching!

check out the clip in my 3" xpipe no mufflers sound clip thread.

Quick Reply: I want loud exhaust.. VERY loud..