Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i epoxy this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can i epoxy this?

I think this is the culprit to all of my high idle issues and problems. I can twist it back and forth about an 1/8 of a turn or so. Ive read where you can take a long dowel or pipe and knock it out from the inside but once i get it out im not sure i can make it any better than it is. Why cant i just epoxy it to the back of the intake so it is permanently sealed in?

Thanks for any help.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Can i epoxy this?-2015-08-20_19.17.12-1-.jpg  
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its supposed to twist because it is removable. i highly doubt its leaking. you could try twisting it, removing it and then seal the oring up with a new one or use a little rtv
Old 08-20-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Umm, it's not really removable. Sure you can knock it out, but the tangs that secure it will likely be broken off. When running, engine vacuum will suck the "plug" against the manifold while compressing the o-ring. You could easily test for a leak by waving an unlit propane torch around the joint, if RPM's pick up, then it's leaking...
Old 08-20-2015, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Umm, it's not really removable. Sure you can knock it out, but the tangs that secure it will likely be broken off. When running, engine vacuum will suck the "plug" against the manifold while compressing the o-ring. You could easily test for a leak by waving an unlit propane torch around the joint, if RPM's pick up, then it's leaking...

That was my thought as well. Everything ive read says you can remove it but "good luck" because you will probably break it or your manifold. lol. I just cant help but think its leaking because of how loose it feels.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I also say it's highly doubtful that is your vacuum leak. I would put it back together and spray something back there and listen for a idle change. Vacuum leaks can be such a ***** to track down.
There is a vacuum line that runs along side the passenger side by the valve cover. It is wrapped in foam and is a two piece line that sometimes separates when removing the intake but is hard to hear and won't surge when sprayed because it's wrapped in foam. Something to look into, let me know if you need a picture
Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wish to seal it use Rapid Fix epoxy. That stuff works great on the nylon intakes.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-22-2015, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Can i epoxy this?

That plug should be quite snug due to the o-ring causing it to be a tight fit in the intake... so it sounds like the o-ring has failed...

as was said, there are 3 tangs keeping it from un-twisting, this is what makes it difficult to remove without damaging it and/or the intake;

if you epoxy it to the intake, you are not losing anything because it is not supposed to be removed, and you have everything to gain if it was leaking.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

highly unlikely. but if you are certain then just seal it with epoxy. no harm in doing so anyway.

Last edited by omarrakeen; 08-28-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Run a bead of high temp silly cone around it......no need to remove it.

Quick Reply: Can i epoxy this?