Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***NEW***Texas Speed F-Body cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncarpenter84
So no cam in this car at all just exhaust?? sounds great looking at picking this up for my 98
yes stock cam

Originally Posted by dsvtr
unioncarpenter84 ,

When you get this Exhaust setup put on your TA ..... can you please post sound clips
Thank you
why do you need more clips? theres plenty of clips in this thread already. Just buy the exhaust at this point lol.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm bumping this back up.

I see both the 3" and 3.5" on the site now... can you provide some details on the 3.5"? Does it need a custom Y-Pipe? Is it using the same muffler?

Also, what kind of gains have people been seeing on 450+rwhp cars with the exhaust vs a 3" cutout? Is the muffler flowing pretty well and people are seeing 5-10rwhp gain with the cutout? Or more?

I'm weighing hacking up my Kooks True Duals to put real mufflers on them to tame it a bit or just selling it off and grabbing a Y-Pipe and something like this. I'd love to be able to have that aggressive Kooks angry sound but then be able to turn it off. The downside is, I don't want to kill power as dual 3" can support a lot of power.

I guess the alternative is to go dual cutouts on a Y-Pipe, but packaging issues on a lowered car make that a bit more difficult.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake, I got your PM and decided to just reply to the thread so everyone can see. Mintws6 did a dyno on a basically bolt on car with the cut out open and closed and it was very minimal gains. On a fully built set up I would expect a 5-7rwhp at best gain with the cut out open.

If you do go with our new 3.5" system you will need a custom Y-pipe. If you have an existing y-pipe stashed away I would simply add a Flowmaster 3" to 3.5" Y-merge in place for it to connect.

The 3.5" system will support more power especially with the cutout open. I would estimate on big strokers or power adder applications to gain close to 10 rwhp +

The video of the white TA in the first post is of a 383 stroker TA and it worked very well. I'm putting the 3" set up on my own personal car with a stroker.

Originally Posted by mintws6
Well its loud with the cut-out open, I put her on the dyno yesterday and pulled 350hp/365tq, when I did an open cut out pull it put down 352hp/367tq which will give you an idea of how well this texas speed muffler actually flows, must say they did a great job. Ill post the video tonight..
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just wanted to chime in with my experience with this exhaust. I bought it due to TSP's excellent customer service in regards to an issue I had with an ORY that was on my car. Love the true bipolar nature of the exhaust. Don't have an e-cutout yet but I can have it louder than when my car was a dumped LM1 or quieter than when it was stock manifolds with the full LM1 catback. I've upgrade to locking nuts on most of the clamps due to the heavy tips wanting to sag the tailpipes, especially the passenger side. Put some blue loctite on, locking nuts, hammered the hell out of them, and they've been good for about two weeks now.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Lonnie, thanks for the input. I think the 3" would probably work well with the Kooks Y-Pipe. And for my car, getting every last HP is not really the goal anymore. But if I do move to a 383 or 416, I still think it'd be good. Really the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the exhaust is what I want nowadays. And the 4" tips are also a huge plus.

What kind of clamps? I always hit clamps with my impact to make sure they are snug...
Old 03-06-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

So an existing TSP y pipe would need the flowmaster merge welded on to connect with the 3.5" catback? I wondered about that this morning. I got an email back from Chris at TSP and he said it would fit a standard y but I couldn't figure out how lol. So at this point I think a 3" catback might be the better buy for a not so wild car.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 AM
Launching!

The clamps they provide are actually really good. I was just having trouble with keeping the tailpipes staying up. They give you 2.5" band clamps for the tailpipes and tips. I hate using u-bolt/guillotine/whatever clamps so I just put locking nuts on mine because I believe in overkill. If TSP ever creates a V2 of this i'd suggest looking into some sort of hangar setup for the passenger pipe. But fitment was excellent all the way y-pipe back. It took me 3 hours to put a new y-pipe and the exhaust on. Half of that time was trying to make sure the tips were level.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Super Hulk Smash

So wait, there's no exhaust hangers for the tips? The Kooks I have now came with them for both sides. Made aligning the tips easy and keeps them in place. I'd recommend adding that since those tips are heavy. Otherwise, looks great!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
So wait, there's no exhaust hangers for the tips? The Kooks I have now came with them for both sides. Made aligning the tips easy and keeps them in place. I'd recommend adding that since those tips are heavy. Otherwise, looks great!
Nope. No hangers. I've had to adjust mine several times. After a few heat cycles they seem to loosen.

I could go to an exhaust shop and have a hanger welded on but I'm too cheap.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Nope. No hangers. I've had to adjust mine several times. After a few heat cycles they seem to loosen.

I could go to an exhaust shop and have a hanger welded on but I'm too cheap.
The whole exhaust from the over the axle pipe-back is supported by the two factory hanger locations. The muffler itself it pretty heavy without including the tailpipes. The driver's side was falling victim to some sag so that's why I did what I did. Since then, like stated, no trouble. If it does start to sag again i'll have the whole thing professionally adjusted and have the tailpipes tacked where they exit the muffler.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We do not include a hanger on the driver's side tail pipe as it was not offered on the factory set up. We never had a problem on our test cars but I can see how some might have an issue with sag. We will look into offering a hanger for future runs on the driver's side. As of now I do not have an option for that.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine sagged as well, passenger side did it more than the driver. I will say that its nice to see TSP providing feedback and a possible fix to this, I saw in the SE thread SE basically telling customers deal with it about a known low clearance issue on their product.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Launching!

I incorrectly stated that it was my driver's said being more of a problem. It was late when I last replied. The passenger side sags far worse.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I would have figured it would have been the Driver's side as well. I appreciate the feedback guys! We are always looking for ways to improve.

Lonnie
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 03-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Those hangers help a ton with tip alignment.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Are there any plans for a bigger Y pipe?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone measure how long the tips are? I need the measurements on the tip only. Length.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Proto X
Can someone measure how long the tips are? I need the measurements on the tip only. Length.
Is it polite to ask a gentleman?

I can check when I get home tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Launching!

I got bored since my car is out of commission until tomorrow. I accidentally melted my o2 extension harness to my driver's side header. I was wondering why it was misfiring in closed loop. Threw 4 new plugs in the driver's side just waiting on a replacement extension.

Anyway they're 13 1/4" from the center of the tips to the end of the slip-over(?) flange. Taken from the bottom of the tip. They're massive. Make my single slash-cut tips from my old LM1 exhaust look like toys.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Just got my 3" catback in today. Only pulled out one tip until this weekend but these things are HUGE. I laugh at their size every time I see it. If it sounds half as good as the tips look it will be the best catback.

Quick Reply: ***NEW***Texas Speed F-Body cat-back