Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea foaming an lq4 how ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sea foaming an lq4 how ??

Hey guys I know it seems a bit noobish to ask and search didn't return much. Anyways my truck has the hydra boost( I think it's called) so there is no line running to the back of my intake and brake booster. What's another way to let it suck into the intake fellas? Thanks for any help
Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I recommend the below procedure:

1. Don't do it
Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing it in all my vehicles to no ill effects lol. Did you have a bad experience?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm with Darth V8R, partly because Sea Foam inhaled with air screws with your AFR uncontrollably and partly because his avatar is fantastic and I love seeing him post because of it...

But why Sea Foam? If you must do something like this to clean inside of your intake and the intake runners of your heads, try Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner instead. There's a write-up somewhere on here about it, which does not recommend using the brake booster line to do so.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is another way. If you're going to do seafoam you should do it this way anyways. Buy the Seafoam that is in a spray can. It's got a tube on it so you can stick it in the intake tract right in front of the throttle body, then you spray it while running the engine, shut the engine off, let it sit 5 minutes while you remove the bottle, then restart it and drive. I think it is similar to the Mopar stuff mentioned above.

It seems the only thing it did for me was give me an exhaust leak. I'm sure there must have been something wrong with the exhaust to begin with, but still it pissed me off lol.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
I've been doing it in all my vehicles to no ill effects lol. Did you have a bad experience?
I've had OK results using it as a fuel additive like fuel injector cleaner, but doing the vacuum port thing, the motor ran like stir-fried crap for a while after it, and I thought I did damage. Then the intake was just as gnarly as before, so I literally got no benefit for the troubles.

I'm with Darth V8R, partly because Sea Foam inhaled with air screws with your AFR uncontrollably and partly because his avatar is fantastic and I love seeing him post because of it...
The real fun was MAKING the avatar
Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I've had OK results using it as a fuel additive like fuel injector cleaner, but doing the vacuum port thing, the motor ran like stir-fried crap for a while after it, and I thought I did damage. Then the intake was just as gnarly as before, so I literally got no benefit for the troubles.

The real fun was MAKING the avatar
I have had pretty good results using the Mopar combustion chamber cleaner.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I recommend the below procedure:

1. Don't do it
I also question the efficacy of even doing it. I've poured that stuff on carbon deposits and let it sit overnight. It did exactly nothing. I've yet to see results that actually show it works and not just "feel" like it's doing something.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Honestly I really think the only way you're getting the majority of the carbon build up out of your engine is disassembly, I haven't tried the mopar stuff, but I've heard good things about it.

I'd only ever use seafoam to clean my crankcase, and even then I'd only run the engine for like ten minutes before dumping the oil.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mopar stuff is great! I have nothing but great things to say about it!

Quick Reply: Sea foaming an lq4 how ??