Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumb question - ls6 intake bolts, individual removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question - ls6 intake bolts, individual removal?

im just trying to simply install nitrous brackets. Not wanting to remove the entire intake for this task obviously...

I loosened the two bolts i need to remove all the way, they still didn't want to come off. Wrestled one out, but the other won't give at all. It's loose threadwise, but i can't remove it from the intake....

what is the trick?

or is it because i have no movement on the intake since im just loosening two and its resting against something i can't see??

i feel like a retard.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason913
im just trying to simply install nitrous brackets. Not wanting to remove the entire intake for this task obviously...

I loosened the two bolts i need to remove all the way, they still didn't want to come off. Wrestled one out, but the other won't give at all. It's loose threadwise, but i can't remove it from the intake....

what is the trick?

or is it because i have no movement on the intake since im just loosening two and its resting against something i can't see??

i feel like a retard.
They should just come straight up. I did an intake swap a few weeks ago and remember the bolts being fairly long but there was nothing keeping them from coming out when loose. The back 3-4 bolts are blocked on the F-body cowl and cant come all the way out while the intake is on though.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Teching In

nope, no dice. i wonder if its because it was powder coated, and they didnt tape off those holes... so the stem of the bolt won't come through? idk its really annoying and my fingers are raw. LOL
Old 05-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Teching In

I'm out of ideas. It's even difficult to get the one that I got out, back in. Has to be a trick without taking the whole intake out! Lol it's the bolt teeth pattern / combined with powdercoat I think....
Old 05-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Teching In

it is 100% the slots on the intake. what is the trick for alignment ?

im getting ******* pissed lol. Three people have tried.... bolt is completely loose but stuck in the intake housing
Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed my LS6 intake yesterday and all 10 bolts dropped right in. They also came right out of my old LS1 intake. The intake has 2 or 4 bosses that line up with counterbores in the heads to align it. I'm not understanding if you are having trough re installing the intake or still having trouble with a bolt or two.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I guess I'll provide the results. It was powdercoating .... Very lazy powdercoater the previous owner used. Had to rip off the finish to get the bolt out
Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason913
I guess I'll provide the results. It was powdercoating .... Very lazy powdercoater the previous owner used. Had to rip off the finish to get the bolt out
Sucks, but glad you figured it out.

Quick Reply: dumb question - ls6 intake bolts, individual removal?