Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads and Intake or Procharger???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads and Intake or Procharger???

Okay guys so I am at a turning point here. I am stuck. I got a quote for heads and intake and after seeing the bottom line, I am seriously contemplating saying screw it, and going with a blower.

$5200 for:
  • Assembled 227cc C&C Heads
  • FAST 102
  • TB
  • Injectors
  • Lifters and Trays
  • Fuel rails

Crazy!!!! and a bit discouraging. If I am dropping that much dough, that puts me within an earshot of a supercharger. I would love a turbo but no way in hell am i deleting my AC. Just No. Houston= AC always. They also seem to cost more, and I am not running exhaust out of my front bumper, hood, or fender.

What seems to be the best bang for the buck? I know the LS6 has a 10.5:1 compression but I feel like it would make more power on PSI.

Ideas?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe there are vendors on here that sell Prochargers. Have you looked into that?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I believe there are vendors on here that sell Prochargers. Have you looked into that?
Not in detail. I just know that the price for heads and intake is quickly approaching that of a procharger. wanted to get some input on the situation.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What are you starting with and what's the goal?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the price you're paying for the heads and all I'd just do the Procharger without question
Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

well if you decide to go procharger i wasted a lot of money and now i can tell you what to do right from the start .

v6 radiator , thick like lt1 but no holes to plug , direct fit for ls1 rad
aster bracket
cbm 8.65 crank pulley
ati balancer
sd tune from the start
make your own fmic kit
get procharger big red bov
2 bar map sensor
second fan on procharger shroud 9" fan
water meth is optional but decide from the start bc that will be another tune cost
60lb injectors
dual fuel pumps
Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get quotes from other vendors as well. Are you doing all the work or paying some place? If paying, are you comfortable with them being responsible for all the work, either route you take? I probably have more questions than suggestions, but I tend to look at things differently.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Spend smarter, not harder.

Retains A/C, routes downpipe back to factory cat-back. No A/C delete, no fender exit.
http://www.on3performance.com/shop/1...em-retains-ac/

Add BMR tubular K-member, 78mm turbo, 60 lb injectors, 320 lph fuel pump, turbo blanket, billet oil feed block, scavenge pump, radiator shield, and throw in vacuum distribution block.

You're at $3,597 and it'll top out around 650whp.
Cancel the pump and injectors, use a Walbro 450 pump and deka 80 injectors, you're good for 800whp for an extra $40.

Brute speed has an F-body procharger kit:
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ21...-02-F-Body.htm

$6,600. Comes with 38 lb injectors (wtf?), fuel pump, and a tuner that will reflash your stock ECU for a bone stock engine + the procharger kit.

Rated at 500+ HP.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova

Retains A/C, routes downpipe back to factory cat-back. No A/C delete, no fender exit.

Add BMR tubular K-member, 78mm turbo, 60 lb injectors, 320 lph fuel pump, turbo blanket, billet oil feed block, scavenge pump, radiator shield, and throw in vacuum distribution block.

Cancel the pump and injectors, use a Walbro 450 pump and deka 80 injectors, you're good for 800whp for an extra $40.

$6,600. Comes with 38 lb injectors (wtf?), fuel pump, and a tuner that will reflash your stock ECU for a bone stock engine + the procharger kit.

Rated at 500+ HP.

Thanks! That price comes down quite a bit if a person calls for a price. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not to steal your thread OP, but I'm curious which is more expensive for our cars....a totally complete turbo with everything you'd need or a complete Procharger?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to steal your thread OP, but I'm curious which is more expensive for our cars....a totally complete turbo with everything you'd need or a complete Procharger?
The answer to that question really depends on if you buy a complete turbo "kit" from a place like Huron Speed or if you fab up your own kit. I would venture to say that the Procharged setup will end up being more, kit for kit.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
well if you decide to go procharger i wasted a lot of money and now i can tell you what to do right from the start .

v6 radiator , thick like lt1 but no holes to plug , direct fit for ls1 rad
aster bracket
cbm 8.65 crank pulley
ati balancer
sd tune from the start
make your own fmic kit
get procharger big red bov
2 bar map sensor
second fan on procharger shroud 9" fan
water meth is optional but decide from the start bc that will be another tune cost
60lb injectors
dual fuel pumps
Good info to have and if you haven't already, I would post a thread about it letting others know that had aspirations of doing one!

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
I would get quotes from other vendors as well. Are you doing all the work or paying some place? If paying, are you comfortable with them being responsible for all the work, either route you take? I probably have more questions than suggestions, but I tend to look at things differently.
Not sure yet on how the work would get done. I was weighing it on both sides. I would have to be comfortable before I gave them my key.

Originally Posted by JoeNova

Rated at 500+ HP.

Well if the turbo is cheaper, then that is a no brainer! However, how much can I realistically expect to make, reliably, with a LS6 (243's and stock short block)?

I have no plans of ever putting an iron engine in my car so does this still make sense based on those things?

procharger has a lot of hidden costs too sounds like.

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Thanks! That price comes down quite a bit if a person calls for a price. Bob

Thanks! and I may take you up on that. Just have to figure out what I want before I go calling people.

Yeah no kidding man. With how much hidden costs there are in all of this, it is difficult to budget or tell how much anything will be. It's annoying and really nerve racking to plan! Good question though, as I would be interested in a bottom line price myself so I can compare. Although it looks like heads and intake would be the cheapest way to go. May not be the best value though, which is two different things.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
The answer to that question really depends on if you buy a complete turbo "kit" from a place like Huron Speed or if you fab up your own kit. I would venture to say that the Procharged setup will end up being more, kit for kit.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not fabbing up anything and to pay someone to is like $10k (I asked lol). If I had the skills, time, and patience I'd do it in a heart beat lol
Old 08-12-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

nwilson44, here's a thought in case you haven't already considered it. Bottom line, with the the stock internals and your cam specs, you are pretty much limited as to how much boost you can run. With that said for about a grand you could have a nice nitrous system with all the basic accessories and still make the same power as the blower or turbo. Have you considered this route? It would save you a ton of money, you'd be just as fast, and it would open the door for other opportunities for the car if you wanted that as well
Old 08-12-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Back to your original question, I would opt to go the Procharger route. What I would do is throw a cam in that's spec'd for a Procharged setup. Leave the stock heads, but obviously upgrade the valve-train. You can piece together a D1SC Procharged setup for fairly cheap if you shop around.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

nwilson44, here's a thought in case you haven't already considered it. Bottom line, with the the stock internals and your cam specs, you are pretty much limited as to how much boost you can run. With that said for about a grand you could have a nice nitrous system with all the basic accessories and still make the same power as the blower or turbo. Have you considered this route? It would save you a ton of money, you'd be just as fast, and it would open the door for other opportunities for the car if you wanted that as well
I have considered it man but honestly, I don't like the idea of only being able to do it in bursts. Yeah I know I'll be limited on my boost level, but that's why I am also considering the heads and intake. I was hoping I could top 500rwhp on boost. I'd want ATLEAST 550 rwhp if I went boost.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Back to your original question, I would opt to go the Procharger route. What I would do is throw a cam in that's spec'd for a Procharged setup. Leave the stock heads, but obviously upgrade the valve-train. You can piece together a D1SC Procharged setup for fairly cheap if you shop around.
So new cam, valvesprings, lifters, keep TI retainers, and bolt it up?

So with the new cam, and valvetrain added to the ticket, we are probably hovering in the $7k+ range. Why do you feel like there is added value going this route? Not being critical just trying to understand what you are suggesting. Sounds bad ***, but why not do the Heads and intake and keep 2k in the pocket? Just curious.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can respect what youre saying on the nitrous route. Maybe your best bet is to get a good used kit, or piece one together like Phoenix suggested.

Personally, I'd just keep your cam and current valve train since you're limited to the stock internals anyways. Now if you change that down the road, and run more boost, then a better speced cam and valve train would be wise investment. Right or wrong, that's just my personal opinion
Old 08-12-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Procharger... You wont regret it.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

No man its good, I asked for your opinion. I know I am staying aluminum so Im not sure how much that limits me FI wise.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nwilson44
I have considered it man but honestly, I don't like the idea of only being able to do it in bursts. Yeah I know I'll be limited on my boost level, but that's why I am also considering the heads and intake. I was hoping I could top 500rwhp on boost. I'd want ATLEAST 550 rwhp if I went boost.

So new cam, valvesprings, lifters, keep TI retainers, and bolt it up?

So with the new cam, and valvetrain added to the ticket, we are probably hovering in the $7k+ range. Why do you feel like there is added value going this route? Not being critical just trying to understand what you are suggesting. Sounds bad ***, but why not do the Heads and intake and keep 2k in the pocket? Just curious.

Because the added power you're going to get will be well worth the 2k. Or, you could keep the stock cam and heads and just bolt on a Procharger. Doing that will get you to your goal of 550 rwhp. There's just so much more room to grow with a Procharged setup. With a heads/cam/intake setup, you're going to be maxed out unless you go bigger cubic inches or add a power-adder.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...tercooler.html

Here is a used D-1SC kit with the SDCE bracket. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Heads and Intake or Procharger???