Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone smarter than I give me a hand....PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can someone smarter than I give me a hand....PCV question

I've used the search function on this, and multiple other sites and still cant decide what exactly I need in the way of a PCV system.

Im running a pretty basic 6.0L iron block with heads and cam. Ive got an Edelbrock performer RPM intake with the Holley Terminator Throttle Body EFI set up.

At the moment, all Im running is a line from both valve covers to a vented catch can. Im running the Edelbrock aluminum valley cover that does have a bung that can be drilled and tapped for a screw in style PCV valve. Is that something I should add and run to the vacuum intake ports on the Holley throttle body?

I understand the basics of the system....fresh air enters via the valve covers, goes down into the crank case, and the dirty air / crank case pressure is vented via vacuum through the PCV valve into the intake.

I just want to make sure this is something I need to be running on my relatively mild set up and that I've got a full understanding of all of the components involved.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

LS6 valley cover, these have a port towards the front that allows venting and a short travel from upper crankcase to intake source. Added feature built-in baffle and check valve for less clutter.

Vented catch cans have their own set of issues, typically you want a line running back to the intake manifold with a check valve somewhere in there. So if you have hoses coming from both valve covers, hook them to dirty side of catch can, clean hose from can to intake (PCV valve somewhere in there). AND LS6 valley port to intake.

How big are the Holley vac ports? Normal vac ports at the throttle body or carb aren't large enough to flow the volume needed. Intake manifold should have a large bung somewhere or you may need to add one (NPT tap if possible to prevent leaks). 1/2" ID hose should do the trick without too much clutter.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what would be the best way to block the holes in the LS6 cover for the knock sensors since im not running any?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

heres a post (and several that follow and prior) about PCV related
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1909285
I go over "shaking the crank case" in later post (next page)
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
heres a post (and several that follow and prior) about PCV related
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...=1#post1909285
I go over "shaking the crank case" in later post (next page)
WTF are you talking about over there?

Anyway, catch cans work just fine. They will condense oil vapor and trap it. That's why I have to empty mine every time I change the oil in my car. I just run a truck valve cover PCV on the driver's side, to catch can, to manifold. I also run a oil-fill breather. I used the passenger valve-cover to throttle-body connection for a while, but I found it to be inadequate. Do the LS6 valley cover route if you can. I would, but my intake won't allow it.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, this shouldn't be too painful.....LS6 Valley cover is a little over $100 on Summit....question is whats the best way to plug the knock sensor holes? I found a thread where one person welded them up....problem is Im not a welder, and nobody I know has any experience welding aluminum...sounds like an expensive proposition at a race shop. Im thinking the right size bolt with a large washer and some RTV should be adequate...any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Plug them with bad knock sensors. Got a junkyard nearby? Surely someone local to you can find free dead sensors.

Good side job welder should be able to plate weld them for about $60.... I would try to find free dead sensors first.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Ok, this shouldn't be too painful.....LS6 Valley cover is a little over $100 on Summit....question is whats the best way to plug the knock sensor holes? I found a thread where one person welded them up....problem is Im not a welder, and nobody I know has any experience welding aluminum...sounds like an expensive proposition at a race shop. Im thinking the right size bolt with a large washer and some RTV should be adequate...any thoughts?
Check GM Parts Direct, part #12577927. Should be a little under $80, save you a few bucks.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Even if you don't run knock sensors, just get the harness, use a dab of RTV around the plugs that go in the knock sensors holes, to make sure they seal up water tight, and your good to go.

Quick Reply: Can someone smarter than I give me a hand....PCV question