Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 intake on cathedral heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 intake on cathedral heads?

Keep in mind I'm an LS beginner.

I just picked up a set of CNC ported cathedral port heads from my local machine shop. I know the owner of the shop and trust him. He was selling these heads for a customer that was running them on a 6.0 and he has seen the heads on the engine. Owner did an LS3 head swap.

He says the guy also has an LS6 manifold so I tell him to let him know I'm interested. Manifold shows up at the shop and turns out it's an LS3 rect. port intake. The original owner of the engine claims this is the manifold that he was running. I checked the gasket imprints on the heads and they do appear to match the LS3 gaskets.

I didn't buy the intake. This sounds like a very bad idea to me. The lower part of the CNC ports closely match the LS3 profile, but it looks like there will be a lot of turbulence when the air hits the square shoulder of the upper part of the cathedral port which I would assume would kill a lot of flow.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I didn't know they would even bolt up.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:15 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

No....
Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Just what I thought. It didn't make any sense that it would work right and I 've never seen anything in print or on the forums about it.

Word has it that the car the engine was in was fast and won a lot of races. I can't say for sure, but if that's true, it probably would have been a lot faster with the right intake.

Looks like I'm still looking for an LS6 manifold. Might have to go with a Dorman.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

subscribe to the LSx parts Facebook page. LS6 intakes come and go on the daily there.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Adapter Plate LS-3/LS-1

I spoke to the supplier of a "plate adapter" to go from LS-3 intake to LS-1 port.

My reason was to go from LS-1 to LS-3 port, not found.

Would you like more information ?

Lance, BTW this is a great idea. (LS-3/LS-1)
Old 11-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
I spoke to the supplier of a "plate adapter" to go from LS-3 intake to LS-1 port.

My reason was to go from LS-1 to LS-3 port, not found.

Would you like more information ?

Lance, BTW this is a great idea. (LS-3/LS-1)
Sure, tell me all about it. I looked at some adapters, but thought they were mainly for blower conversions. Looking at the LS3 manifold, I can see that it would probably flow more due to port size. The transition from rect. to cathedral would be tricky.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Get BBK LS1 intake or Fast LS1 intake
Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Just bought an LS6 manifold. I looked at the BBK, but was concerned about the aluminum retaining heat on a street engine. The FAST's are out of my budget for now. Even the older ones. Also, I thought about a TBSS, but they were too tall to fit under the hood of the sports car I'm working on.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrod46
Keep in mind I'm an LS beginner.

I just picked up a set of CNC ported cathedral port heads from my local machine shop. I know the owner of the shop and trust him. He was selling these heads for a customer that was running them on a 6.0 and he has seen the heads on the engine. Owner did an LS3 head swap.

He says the guy also has an LS6 manifold so I tell him to let him know I'm interested. Manifold shows up at the shop and turns out it's an LS3 rect. port intake. The original owner of the engine claims this is the manifold that he was running. I checked the gasket imprints on the heads and they do appear to match the LS3 gaskets.

I didn't buy the intake. This sounds like a very bad idea to me. The lower part of the CNC ports closely match the LS3 profile, but it looks like there will be a lot of turbulence when the air hits the square shoulder of the upper part of the cathedral port which I would assume would kill a lot of flow.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I didn't know they would even bolt up.
Hotrod could you post pictures of the gasket imprint on the ports . I see no problem with the LS3 covering the roof and sides but ... the floor of the LS3 is about 5/8" higher that a Cathedral port that's where the problem lays.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Here's the pic. Like I say, I'm an LS newb. This just didn't look right.

Name:  IMG_1004_zpsdxl5yqez.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  110.2 KB
Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hotrod46
Here's the pic. Like I say, I'm an LS newb. This just didn't look right.

Thanks for posting that pic it reveals quite a bit , surprising it appears to cover and be below the floor ! Do you have any pics of the LS3 intake and or part # . The part # location is drivers side between 3rd and 5th ports. Also those heads you have, I'm guessing they are 243 cnc ...... could you tell us what the port width is I'm guessing its around 1.10" to 1.12"
Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I don't remember the intake part number and I didn't take any pictures, but it came up as an LS3 part number when I googled it. The manifold did not appear to have been modified.

The ports are approx. 1 1/8" wide. I did a rough comparison to a stock LS port and it appears that they are about 1/8" wider. The height is about the same as stock.

The CNC heads are 806 castings. I was looking for a set of 243's when I found these. My engine has the very early 337K castings. The CNC heads have titanium retainers, double springs and can take up to about .640 lift. I don't have much info on them as to who did the porting, but they have to better than what I had. I would have preferred a center bolt valve cover, though. I still need to CC the chambers to make sure I'm not cutting my CR.

My engine is a 5.7. As unbelievable as it sounds, this engine is practically new. I bought it out of an old unfinished project. Supposedly has only been test fired. I'm planning cam, PCV, and oiling upgrades as well as the heads.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ok 806 those are perimeter bolt , those clean up just as good as 853 , 241 after a cnc program . Sounds like you got good heads there. As for the LS3 part # , does 12602477 sound familiar to you as being the part # .
Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

That does sound like the number.

Quick Reply: LS3 intake on cathedral heads?