Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00-SS12
i tried different bolts after the exhaust didn't seem to stay tight and still nothin.. not sure what the deal is but hoping to get it back on a lift tonight
Impact?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Impact?
yep used a 3/8ths electric impact.. they didn't seem to clamp the pipe very well. Started from front to back with the clamps made sure the pipes were all pushed in and aligned.. seemed fine until I started it then drove it a few feet and looked underneath and it was 1/2 from the ground and loose...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I would not say that...But this is a very good deal no doubt.
I will!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00-SS12
i tried different bolts after the exhaust didn't seem to stay tight and still nothin.. not sure what the deal is but hoping to get it back on a lift tonight
This stainless tubing is way harder than the aluminized steel tubing. You're gonna have to tighten the hell out of the clamps so they really put the squeeze on the flared pipe. As another guy on here has already stated, it would be wise to put some grade 8 bolts in the clamps and put the mojo on them!

Depending on how much money it cost to replace the hardware in the clamps I might would just consider getting genuine torca accuseal clamps.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Please forgive me but I don't feel like reading through thirteen pages of posts. Does this system require the pan hard bar relocation bracket or can it be used with stock set up?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I had 3-4 dollars in the hardware. I also finished tightening the clamps by hand,two wrenches.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Please forgive me but I don't feel like reading through thirteen pages of posts. Does this system require the pan hard bar relocation bracket or can it be used with stock set up?
Yep it does
Old 02-23-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Get the relocation bracket from Founders, it's cheaper.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Ok, last night I was able to get both Speed Engineering long tube 1-7/8" headers on my 2002 WS6 M6. The driver's side was a little bit of a pain, but it went on with a little persuasion. The passenger side slid right in; I didn't even remove the spark plugs. Just to note, I also put on BMR lowering springs at the same time, and I had to remove the brake master cylinder, in order to get the 2 torxs head bolts for the driver's side strut, which were RIGHT under the master cylinder. I figured this would give me an opportunity to change the brake fluid and install the SLP line lock as well.

In my haste to get started on the install, I did not go through the Speed Engineering box of parts thoroughly (This box was ripped up, and taped back up a few times). I ended up not being sent the bag of hangers/mounts/etc. So, I can not finish the install until Speed Engineering sends me these parts. Hoping to have them by early next week. I had already purchased the grade 8 bolts, washers, and lock washers, as others had mentioned.

One thing I have noticed, is that during the removal of my factory exhaust, I had removed the rear crossmember/drive shaft safety loop (not the transmission crossmember). Now that I have the headers, pipes prior to the x-pipe and the x-pipe installed, there is NO way for me to put this rear crossmember back on the car. Has anyone installed this exhaust on an M6 car, with the factory rear crossmember???

Overall, I am happy with the exhaust. Just wish I could have finished it last night.....
Attached Thumbnails Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!-box-parts.jpg   Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!-passenger-side.jpg   Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!-drivers-side.jpg   Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!-under-car-front.jpg   Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!-under-car-rear.jpg  

Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penaltybox
Overall, I am happy with the exhaust. Just wish I could have finished it last night.....
Looks like you dented one of the pipes by hand? For clearance?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JonS
Looks like you dented one of the pipes by hand? For clearance?
No, the driver's side is flattened slightly, for extra clearance.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

No, the driver's side is flattened slightly, for extra clearance.
Take a picture of the crossmember/ds safety loop you are talking about. I have had 2 M6 cars and am completely unaware of any such crossmember with a ds safety loop that came on these cars from the factory.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zachm89
Take a picture of the crossmember/ds safety loop you are talking about. I have had 2 M6 cars and am completely unaware of any such crossmember with a ds safety loop that came on these cars from the factory.

The vehicle is at a buddies house, on his lift. I am going back over there on Sunday. I will send a picture of it. This is my 4th WS6, M6. They have all had this crossmember. Calling it a drive shaft safety loop may be incorrect, but I don't see where it serves any other purpose. If need be, I won't even try to put it back on.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Well IIRC which Im at work and its been about a month since I've been under my car so I could be wrong. It seems like I remember there being some sort of crossmember farther back than the trans crossmember, but it doesnt have any sort of drive shaft safety loop on it, its more for just chassis stiffening I believe. Its the point where a bolt in sub frame connector would go if you were to install one or a tunnel mount torque arm as well. If thats the same crossmember you're referring to, it should go back on no problem with this exhaust as I believe they designed the whole kit around factory chassis components. It might be best to contact Speed Engineering and ask them about it.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Now Im second guessing what I said in that last post, because after looking at the stock photos of under the car on their website, it appears that the crossmember (at least the one I am thinking of) was removed and left off. Still might be best to shoot them an email or call and ask about it to be on the safe side. If you were to get a tunnel mount torque arm from MWC, they sell different variants of that crossmember to accommodate different exhaust setups.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zachm89
Now Im second guessing what I said in that last post, because after looking at the stock photos of under the car on their website, it appears that the crossmember (at least the one I am thinking of) was removed and left off. Still might be best to shoot them an email or call and ask about it to be on the safe side. If you were to get a tunnel mount torque arm from MWC, they sell different variants of that crossmember to accommodate different exhaust setups.
I have sent Sean, at Speed Engineering, an email asking for his opinion. With as tight as this exhaust is, I can't imagine that the exhaust will fit with this crossmember installed. Again, there is NOT an actual drive shaft safety loop, but the driveshaft does sit in the tunnel directly above this crossmember. The torque arm also goes above this crossmember.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Sean from Speed Engineering just got back to me. The factory braket/crossmember will not be used. Now, just waiting on brakets/hangers to finish the job.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Good deal, Im glad they were able to get it cleared up for you. Tell them to light a fire under those hangers so you can enjoy your new exhaust!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell no that little cross member won't fit with those big *** pipes. I went back to a Y pipe and the CM still won't fit.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, last night I was able to get both Speed Engineering long tube 1-7/8" headers on my 2002 WS6 M6. The driver's side was a little bit of a pain, but it went on with a little persuasion. The passenger side slid right in; I didn't even remove the spark plugs. Just to note, I also put on BMR lowering springs at the same time, and I had to remove the brake master cylinder, in order to get the 2 torxs head bolts for the driver's side strut, which were RIGHT under the master cylinder. I figured this would give me an opportunity to change the brake fluid and install the SLP line lock as well.

In my haste to get started on the install, I did not go through the Speed Engineering box of parts thoroughly (This box was ripped up, and taped back up a few times). I ended up not being sent the bag of hangers/mounts/etc. So, I can not finish the install until Speed Engineering sends me these parts. Hoping to have them by early next week. I had already purchased the grade 8 bolts, washers, and lock washers, as others had mentioned.

One thing I have noticed, is that during the removal of my factory exhaust, I had removed the rear crossmember/drive shaft safety loop (not the transmission crossmember). Now that I have the headers, pipes prior to the x-pipe and the x-pipe installed, there is NO way for me to put this rear crossmember back on the car. Has anyone installed this exhaust on an M6 car, with the factory rear crossmember???

Finishing my install this weekend hopefully, the past 2 times ive done headers were the bbk headers which slide in like they were factory, the car is up on jacks right now and I tried test fitting before I do the mounts tonight or tomorrow and it seemed like the steering shaft is the only thing stopping the driver header from going in was this the case for you as well? Im also having an issue not getting the height needed to get the passenger side in.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!