Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^Good golly.

Big shout out to GM for putting a single exhaust on a muscle car. Whoever thought that and cross blow muffler was acceptable should be chemically castrated. But I digress......

Can't wait to buy this and give it my own special touches.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True dual rear exit

Has anyone done true dual rear exit but using cme tips instead?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Any update on when the true duals will be back in stock i still see 6/1 but wanna make sure that it hasn't changed. I would like to order a complete setup
Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Default Done! Kinda...

Well it's all bolted up. It looks good until I drive it and then it loosens up and hangs super low. I can't seem to get the clamps tight enough, even with grade 8 bolts and an impact wrench. Might just have it welded up. Thoughts?

Last edited by firefighter34; 05-29-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your business. Yes, we should have the kits back in stock by the end of the week. The custom exhaust hanger should also be available as well.

Thanks
Sean
Old 05-29-2017, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Default better this exhaust

+1 on the clamps being garbage. I say garbage because as you clamp these clamps down they tend to change the way the exhaust is situated and ruins the fitment. This had me splitting hairs. Let me say first that I am no exhaust expert however I am mechanically inclined. I believe the only way to get a great fit is to take this to a muffler shop and have them weld the pipes aimed in the correct direction. I personally prefer to be able to take my exhaust apart in my driveway so I would have them do a few sturdy tack welds and id put those thin form fitting band clamps with some copper silicone (oxygen sensor safe) and let it set before starting the car. If I need to take the exhaust out I can grind these tack welds off. I do this on all my exhaust without issue. Mind you this would mostly just be needed on the x pipe connections and the driver side between the header and the x pipe.. This is for you speed engineering... id recommend adding another hanger under the car near the x pipe. Maybe coming off the tunnel brace. The ground clearance would be a deal breaker if there was no such thing as a muffler shop to tweak it. Finding a good shop is the hardest part here. All in all a good exhaust for the price. I see people complaining about the fitment and then complain about other kits being too expensive.... That's all I have to say about that. One last piece of information and probably the most informative of this post... this kit fit under the Midwest chassis tunnel mounted torque arm set up for the tsp true dual exhaust. Founders panhard bar relocation kit is a must. I hope this was helpful.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by youguessit
+1 on the clamps being garbage. I say garbage because as you clamp these clamps down they tend to change the way the exhaust is situated and ruins the fitment. This had me splitting hairs. Let me say first that I am no exhaust expert however I am mechanically inclined. I believe the only way to get a great fit is to take this to a muffler shop and have them weld the pipes aimed in the correct direction. I personally prefer to be able to take my exhaust apart in my driveway so I would have them do a few sturdy tack welds and id put those thin form fitting band clamps with some copper silicone (oxygen sensor safe) and let it set before starting the car. If I need to take the exhaust out I can grind these tack welds off. I do this on all my exhaust without issue. Mind you this would mostly just be needed on the x pipe connections and the driver side between the header and the x pipe.. This is for you speed engineering... id recommend adding another hanger under the car near the x pipe. Maybe coming off the tunnel brace. The ground clearance would be a deal breaker if there was no such thing as a muffler shop to tweak it. Finding a good shop is the hardest part here. All in all a good exhaust for the price. I see people complaining about the fitment and then complain about other kits being too expensive.... That's all I have to say about that. One last piece of information and probably the most informative of this post... this kit fit under the Midwest chassis tunnel mounted torque arm set up for the tsp true dual exhaust. Founders panhard bar relocation kit is a must. I hope this was helpful.
Speed Eng has never said that the clamps are any good. Now I don't know much about how the sourcing and packaging of this stuff works, but SE and others have given recommendations on the clamps. Whether it be outright replacement or better bolt/hardware as some have done.

I have tinkered with the replacement of parts of my exhaust systems on several of my vehicles recently. I have no bias towards any brand but I can say this - I've used the house brand that Summit sells with good results. A good band clamp makes welding of the system unnecessary. I've had 8 dollar clamps holding up the better part of the weight of 30" steel bullets without issue. When this style of clamps work ---- they WORK. I'd shy away from welding. I believe that 40 bucks worth of good clamps are all that is needed to give the system the strength and needed adjust-ability that it needs.

We all S ourselves when we saw what SE was and is offering. Because we all know that the price is amazing, and I can vouch for the quality of materials. What we don't all seem to realize is that there is a very good reason why no one has tackled a true dual system on this car AT A REASONABLE PRICE in the TWENTY FOUR years these cars have been around.

SE bit the bullet, took a plunge and has launched a product that I have no doubt that they will continue to improve, just like their stainless headers. You want something more proven? We all know that Kooks system exists and has for awhile. Go pay for it if you're able and willing. But for those of us not willing to pop for the astronomical price and for those of us that don't want a local shop fabbing something up on the cheap that may or may not be a disaster and could possibly cost a lot.... Well now we have an option that at the very least gets us 90% of the way there. An option that we can do ourselves like most of us do.

Obv not attacking you youguessit.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 05-29-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Speed Eng has never said that the clamps are any good. Now I don't know much about how the sourcing and packaging of this stuff works, but SE and others have given recommendations on the clamps. Whether it be outright replacement or better bolt/hardware as some have done.

I have tinkered with the replacement of parts of my exhaust systems on several of my vehicles recently. I have no bias towards any brand but I can say this - I've used the house brand that Summit sells with good results. A good band clamp makes welding of the system unnecessary. I've had 8 dollar clamps holding up the better part of the weight of 30" steel bullets without issue. When this style of clamps work ---- they WORK. I'd shy away from welding. I believe that 40 bucks worth of good clamps are all that is needed to give the system the strength and needed adjust-ability that it needs.

We all S ourselves when we saw what SE was and is offering. Because we all know that the price is amazing, and I can vouch for the quality of materials. What we don't all seem to realize is that there is a very good reason why no one has tackled a true dual system on this car AT A REASONABLE PRICE in the TWENTY FOUR years these cars have been around.

SE bit the bullet, took a plunge and has launched a product that I have no doubt that they will continue to improve, just like their stainless headers. You want something more proven? We all know that Kooks system exists and has for awhile. Go pay for it if you're able and willing. But for those of us not willing to pop for the astronomical price and for those of us that don't want a local shop fabbing something up on the cheap that may or may not be a disaster and could possibly cost a lot.... Well now we have an option that at the very least gets us 90% of the way there. An option that we can do ourselves like most of us do.

Obv not attacking you youguessit.
No offense taken another ws6. Those 8$ clamps are awesome aren't they. I have used them without welds to hold on exhaust before. They work great. Imho the tack is best in this instance. Upon reading my previous post it does seem like a harsh review. So let me re-assure everyone this exhaust kit is well worth the money. You can run this exhaust without welding and using the 8$ clamps. I have done this. My previously posted method worked best for me. Buy and enjoy guys.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you for your business. Yes, we should have the kits back in stock by the end of the week. The custom exhaust hanger should also be available as well.

Thanks
Sean
Will the restock be on the old or new design that can work well on lowered cars also?

thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Will the custom exhaust hanger be listed on your web site?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Custom Exhaust Hanger? Any pics or location of where it goes?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a lowered 2002 WS6 with SLP headers. Will your exhaust work on my setup?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

firefighter34, I used a ratchet wrench with a cheater pipe (jack handle) to get the clamps real tight. Basically tighten them down until there is no gap in the clamp.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Sponsor

AnotherWs6: Thank you..

bad_408_vert: We dont currently have any revisions planed on our exhaust. We did however make a custom hanger that bolts on to the rear seat belt bolt which should help the exhaust from sagging.

bbond105: Yes, we will have them available on our website as well probably later this week.

Thanks
Sean
Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

QUOTE=LaBLKv6Z;19635915]firefighter34, I used a ratchet wrench with a cheater pipe (jack handle) to get the clamps real tight. Basically tighten them down until there is no gap in the clamp.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for info! I may try that. I'm leaning towards tacking most of it.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Is the custom exhaust hanger extra or is it included?
You guys have a p/n for those clamps? I'm still waiting for my exhaust, I have time to order them before the exhaust arrives. My car is sitting with the exhaust out waiting for the new setup to arrive.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any ETA on the shipment?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Sponsor

True dual rear exit kits are finally in stock again. We are trying to finish up the new hanger as we speak. Yes, they will be included in all shipments going out. If we finish up in time all back orders should ship today or tomorrow at the latest. We will also have the hangers available for sale individually by tomorrow for those previous customers that feel they need one.

Thanks
Sean
Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for pics & review of new hanger and install.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

In for LT1 with LPP headers fitment.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!