Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Haha!!
Old 08-05-2021, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Bspeck82:
Bob570 (10-21-2021), spent21 (08-06-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 z28 heads Lts cam at 4 se true duals

So I have this exhaust and it sounds so sweet at WoT but I absolutely hate it under 3k rpm. If anyone know how I can keep this flow and shut this exhaust up please let me know before I start cutting it up very unhappy with the cabin drone and just annoying tone while cruising and climbing grades.

I'm not sure if the automatic makes it worse but I'm open to any fix at this point adding mufflers x pipes replacing the tips bullets ect. Please post anything you have done to fix the systems drone and terrible cruising sound.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigy28
So I have this exhaust and it sounds so sweet at WoT but I absolutely hate it under 3k rpm. If anyone know how I can keep this flow and shut this exhaust up please let me know before I start cutting it up very unhappy with the cabin drone and just annoying tone while cruising and climbing grades.

I'm not sure if the automatic makes it worse but I'm open to any fix at this point adding mufflers x pipes replacing the tips bullets ect. Please post anything you have done to fix the systems drone and terrible cruising sound.
Check with @HioSSilver on the patriot spirals part #H3844. He said it quieted it down.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Check with @HioSSilver on the patriot spirals part #H3844. He said it quieted it down.
I'm thinking of putting a magnaflow tru x resonated muffler or even 2 in series where the str8 xpipe section is. I would think those spirals would restrict air flow enough to affect my tune.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

you bought race car you get race car. not much you can do,, if this is the Ota kit then you could see if you can fit magnaflow 4x9s at the tips.. catalytic converters, resonators before the mid pipes. Sweet thunder or spiral flows. All of it will still be loud.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-19-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
you bought race car you get race car. not much you can do,, if this is the Ota kit then you could see if you can fit magnaflow 4x9s at the tips.. catalytic converters, resonators before the mid pipes. Sweet thunder or spiral flows. All of it will still be loud.
to be fair I built it but I'm going to shut it up below 3k some way some how lol
Old 10-20-2021, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

to be fair I built it but I'm going to shut it up below 3k some way some how lol
I installed some QTP Screamer dual mode mufflers on a big block Stingray. They are straight through when the valve is open and relatively quiet when the valve is closed. The muffler is available in a long or short version. Take a look at what they offer to see if the mufflers will fit on our 4th gens.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

let's see some pics to help out more.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
They are the OEM 2.5 inch tips. I had the shop expand out the inlet on the tips as much as possible to weld up to 3 inch pipe. It's not pretty by any means but it's under the car and I don't care.
For the clearance between the pan hard and gas tank I wrapped that pipe in exhaust insulation and im rolling with that. Seems to work fine, don't notice any interaction with the gas tank and don't hear banging on the pan hard

What brand of lower springs are you using? They look like BMR but wasn’t for sure.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Default Haven't found a solution to the God awful drone yet

So I tried to have a shop weld up a j pipe for this system but I don't think they did it right it silenced the drone in to small of a frequency and they were hitting the ground occasionally so had to cut the j pipes off and patch the holes to protect the headers ect. Gotta say I really am starting to hate this system. I tried calling SE to see what other have done to eliminate the drone but they told me never had a drone issue on any systems they've put on. I added dynomat to the interior of the car to try and eliminate some resonance but it didn't help. Currently waiting for my tax return and then it's going to a exhaust shop to fix it cost be damned cruising drone is God awful. Also spirals don't do anything except choke the car tried em bad result.

If you are looking for a exhaust system that sounds good ask for a audio clip going up a hill at about 25 to 45 mph. Or at cruising speed 60 to 75 mph. Because this system is so drone intensive you won't want to drive that car anymore!
The following users liked this post:
JohnR (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I am wanting to install this system and connect it to my Madhammer GMMG CME setup. Has anyone done this before and do you have pics? Thank you
Old 05-02-2022, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I tried to have a shop weld up a j pipe for this system but I don't think they did it right it silenced the drone in to small of a frequency and they were hitting the ground occasionally so had to cut the j pipes off and patch the holes to protect the headers ect. Gotta say I really am starting to hate this system. I tried calling SE to see what other have done to eliminate the drone but they told me never had a drone issue on any systems they've put on. I added dynomat to the interior of the car to try and eliminate some resonance but it didn't help. Currently waiting for my tax return and then it's going to a exhaust shop to fix it cost be damned cruising drone is God awful. Also spirals don't do anything except choke the car tried em bad result.

If you are looking for a exhaust system that sounds good ask for a audio clip going up a hill at about 25 to 45 mph. Or at cruising speed 60 to 75 mph. Because this system is so drone intensive you won't want to drive that car anymore!
Dumped or over the axle?
Old 05-02-2022, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Dumped or over the axle?
over the axle
Old 05-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnR
I installed some QTP Screamer dual mode mufflers on a big block Stingray. They are straight through when the valve is open and relatively quiet when the valve is closed. The muffler is available in a long or short version. Take a look at what they offer to see if the mufflers will fit on our 4th gens.

this system is interesting all I'm looking to do is get rid of the drone otherwise its ok. I am going to look into this.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

over the axle
idk about welding in a helmhomtz resonance chamber here,, we have very little room to work with. Your biggest issue is the glass pack bullet mufflers. They are and will always be too loud. From my experience, chambered style mufflers seem to drone less. My true duals over the axle where pretty bad at 1700rpm. Right where I cruise on the freeway. I now have dumped duals and spintechs and it drones and has a unique resonance with the underside of the car at about 1500. So now I don't hear it when cruising. Now it's still loud, given the nature of the beast, but doesn't drone.

My advice would be this, If you drive the car a lot you have the wrong system. I would sell it and do something different. Me personally, if this was a daily get yourself a quality 3" y pipe and a hooker aerochamber catback. They sound amazing and dont drone. If you are concerned about power, a good middle ground is the mufflex 4" y pipe, into a 4" cutout exiting under the passenger seat, reduce down into 3 and into your catback of choice.

If you want to try and make the duals work, try welding resonators or glass packs where the cats should be. Then put bigger mufflers in the rear. Measure the oal of the bullets and get new mufflers of the same length and fit other space constraints.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I'm looking at possibly putting a flowmaster big block 50 series dual in dual out where the 2 sides run along each other welding on flanges to the headers and angles so I can do maintenance still ie remove exhaust if necessary and replace all the se clamps with welds or big wide band clamps. Along with hopefully stiffening up the system to eliminate vibration. And possibly replacing the over axle section back with 2.5 inch pipes with different tips. This really sucks but it looks like ditching this system is going to be my only option to get rid of the Droning
Old 05-02-2022, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I swapped my SE "mufflers" out for some Borla XR1s, the drone went away, partial throttle sounds way better and it toned the idle sound down quite a bit but still sounds good when WOT
Old 05-04-2022, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Default Welding se true duals?

Has anyone on this thread welded their Se true duals. I think maybe my clamps are just so bad that the drone and noise might be the shity 1" clamps. Thinking of welding flanges on the headers and the start of the Tru dual system so I can still drop the exhaust for maintenance and possibly flanges directly onto the over axel portion pre muffler. Then putting exhaust wrap around that section. Looking at a qtp cut out muffler and just having that for more civilized driving with the option to make noise and free flow. Anyone do anything like this?
Old 05-05-2022, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone on this thread welded their Se true duals. I think maybe my clamps are just so bad that the drone and noise might be the shity 1" clamps. Thinking of welding flanges on the headers and the start of the Tru dual system so I can still drop the exhaust for maintenance and possibly flanges directly onto the over axel portion pre muffler. Then putting exhaust wrap around that section. Looking at a qtp cut out muffler and just having that for more civilized driving with the option to make noise and free flow. Anyone do anything like this?
I think welding it will not help you at all. The clamps should be fine. If it's leaking you'll see it will start to turn black around the clamps. Then just tighten them more or get a band clamp on amazon. Your best bet is to do some research and take some measurements and fit the best muffler you can in there, along with either resonators or maybe high flow cats or glasspacks off the headers to tone it down.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!