Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C Install checklist with a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H/C Install checklist with a few ?'s

So I'm slowly but surely compiling everything I want to add to my 2001 Camaro Z28 to make it a streetable but cammed car, hoping for around 400WHP. Also my car is an auto, just fyi.

CURRENT MODS

- Speed Engineering 1 3/4 Longtubes
- SLP LM1 catback
- P&P Throttlebody
- SLP Lid
- Mail in Frost Tune
- Upgraded to 3.23 gears from 2.73

CURRENTLY HAVE PARTS LIST

- Stage II 4l60e racing transmission ($1,500)
- 3200 TCI Stall
- 243 heads
- Poly Motor&Transmission Mounts

LOOKING AT PURCHASING

- Torquer V2 Cam
- LS6 Oil Pump (is this recommended?)
- LS2 Timing Chain (recommended or required?)
- Transmission Cooler
- Gasket Kit
- 36 lb fuel injectors (I assume I'll need bigger injectors for this cam?)
- New catback, haven't decided, but LM1 with a V2 Cam will probably sound like ****, I'm open to suggestions really. I would like to add an electric cut out to the catback as well.
- 160* T-stat (I'm in Indiana, but the car will only be driven in the spring, summer, and fall. Recommended?)
- Full engine rebuild. (My rear main seal is leaking, and for $1,500 I know a guy who will completely rebuild the engine and add the cam and all the other goodies at no additional cost. So it's not just a cam and heads install, but an engine rebuild as well.)
- Good Dyno tune.

I have a set of Brian Tooley springs lined up, haven't purchased them yet. I also need to find a set of hardened Pushrods.

So this is my list and how far along I am so far. Anything else you guys would recommend? Do all of these mods and adds sound worthwhile? Should I also add a larger/stronger fuel pump? I've found some cheap fuel injectors on Ebay, Bosch 36lb injectors all 8 for $99, they're refurbished. Not sure if I should take a chance on those or not.

I've heard I also may as well replace the spark plugs while in there. Am I missing anything and does this combo sound good? Just shooting for a brand new tranny and motor for a car that will spend 98% of its life on the streets, with maybe 3-6 track runs a year, that's it.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any feedback guys? I see my post has over 180 views. Looking for some advice and answers.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Give it some time....
Old 04-01-2017, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Give it some time....
Good idea, thanks!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget trunnion upgrade.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your y pipe catted or offroad? Either way if your keeping the lm1 a flowmaster merge in the y pipe will improve the sound tremendously if thats not enough change out the slp resonator for a magnaflow or borla.
I would get the ported ls6 oil pump
LS2 timing chain is an upgrade from what you have now.
The 36 lb injectors will be sufficient for a cam only car.
I dont think the 160° t stat is necessary. I run a 180 in my car.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zach-R
Is your y pipe catted or offroad? Either way if your keeping the lm1 a flowmaster merge in the y pipe will improve the sound tremendously if thats not enough change out the slp resonator for a magnaflow or borla.
I would get the ported ls6 oil pump
LS2 timing chain is an upgrade from what you have now.
The 36 lb injectors will be sufficient for a cam only car.
I dont think the 160° t stat is necessary. I run a 180 in my car.

My y-pipe is offroad.
I am seriously looking at the TSP cat-back with built in cut out and then adding the electric cut out to it at the same time. The TSP catback moves the muffler to the rear of the car I believe, so cabin noise won't be so terrible.

Would just a stock LS6 oil pump suffice? Ported might be harder to come by for me.

Going to get the LS2 timing chain, seems it's a gimme, and they're pretty cheap.

Are 36 lb injectors the min you'd recommend? I'll get 42lb if that's going to be better for the car, I just know the stock ones will not be enough.

Thanks for answering and helping with my questions!
Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

36# injectors will be plenty but I wouldn't trust e-bay refurbished ones. Texas Speed sells a ported ls6 oil pump and also has injectors. I also use a 180 stat like Zach. I like the oil to get hot enough to cook out the moisture that invariably gets in the crankcase.

Quick Reply: H/C Install checklist with a few ?'s