Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing A/C box in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default Removing A/C box in engine bay

When I did my motor swap I never put the compressor on and I've had the evaporator core capped off since the swap the plan was to some day do a vintage air kit and clean up the firewall. I already have my block off plate and I think im going to pull out the engine bay portion and be done with it. The question is can you do it with the engine in? Car has longtubes and the ecm has been relocated so with the exception of the head being relatively close It seems doable. I did some searchs on it and all I can find are people saying is a PITA to go through the bay, but not that anyone has actually done it that way.

So is it doable at all?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:33 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it out through the car. Takes time and some effort, but I felt it was much better and I took out other stuff. I used this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...removal-3.html
Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link to my adventure with this. I had my engine out but I did it all through the inside of the car. Probably the least favorite thing I ever did to the car, but the space it made is awesome. The passenger side plugs are easier than the driver side now.

Post #4
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html
Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah the box comes out through the inside. Taking the dash out looks bad but it really isnt......and once you do it you'll be glad you did
Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys, Ive actually pulled the dash out before, I removed the pass airbag and put the ECM where it was mounted and access it through the glovebox. Not really wanting to do it again to be honest haha.

When I was searching ive stumbled onto the threads linked above and found a few where people have just cut the box from inside the bay and pulled it out that way, but they always note they had the engine out at the very end. I guess im trying to do it the hardest way possible. I feel like if im gonan go through the trouble of pullit the hole unit to cut the AC end off I might as well do my Vintage Air install so I dont have to go through that part twice. I dont really care if i end up destroying since I was gonna end up cutting it anyway. Guess I can always try it and if I get stuck pull the dash. I got my Delete plate back during christmas or thanksgiving cant remember. Ive been planning it ever since just starting to get in the mood since I gotta do some other work in that area I figure why not do that too.

Conan- everytime I see your avatar I laugh a little bit

Last edited by blackbyrd; 06-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Conan- everytime I see your avatar I laugh a little bit
Lol I did too responding in your thread last night. Got to love the Gen 1 transformers.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

How come you're removing the factory AC and going with a Vintage air system?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

This would also allow me to make some changes on the interior as well. Depending on the kit you buy most of them offer bluetooth connectivity so if you were running a carputer setup/android based headunit you could control your A/c through their app. No **** controls so instead you could have a larger touchscreen in its place to help modernize the interior. all with the added bonus of a clean firewall

Conan- as you may have guessed im a big transformer fan haha.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Finally got started on this was easier than I thought it would be. Still gotta trim and cut the fan motor access.
Attached Thumbnails Removing A/C box in engine bay-img_20171029_213011655.jpg  

Quick Reply: Removing A/C box in engine bay