Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ebay 3 bolt TB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default ebay 3 bolt TB?

Anyone rock the ebay 3 bolt 85mm TBs? I was looking at the Jegs and summit versions and then ran across these. I dont need a 90mm or a 102mm as my ported stocker is fine really. I just ordered a new NNBS truck intake which as the 4 bolt 90mm TB opening I believe and also ordered a 4 bolt intake to 3 bolt TB adapter. I would like to keep the 3 bolt TB if possible and didn't want to mess with the shitty ebay 4 bolt TBs that everyone has issues with. Basically I dont want to run a larger TB with the $400 price tag as i'm boosted so its not really neccesary. The stocker is prob fine... but always looking at small upgrades lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85MM-ALUMINU...25.m3641.l6368

Think the ebay 3 bolts would have the same issues as the 4 bolts? the Jegs/summit/professional products all look to be exactly the same as the ebay ones.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe one of these? https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...-ws6store.html I believe they've been selling quite a few without problems and the price seems fair. To bad you ordered the adapter already
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eh... Holley has been selling cheap Chinese stuff lately, sniper Intake is for sure the same cheap Chinese eBay intake. I wouldn't be surprised if these are the same ebay TBs that go for $70-100 less.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

PM sent
Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That eBay one doesn't look much different than a stock throttle body.

Here's a pic of my shaner s3 stock ported tb. Notice how thin the edge is compared to that eBay unit.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

The holley sniper tb use a diff iac motor that holley has. its $50 so basically $230 for a nice quality budget 4 bolt.
If you dont think a 90mm tb vs a 3 bolt plate amd 3 bolt tb on a tbss manifold wont make a diff just because you are boosted, you are mistaken. the transition alone behind the tb can cause all sorts of issues. why even do that?
The nick williams is $369 shipped as well. the holley adj cable bracket is $32 so still right at that price. you can use the stock 99-02 truck cable bracket with minimal mods also but using a high quality tb will gain you more than just hp. idle tuning and transitions would be vastly improved.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
That eBay one doesn't look much different than a stock throttle body.

Here's a pic of my shaner s3 stock ported tb. Notice how thin the edge is compared to that eBay unit.

Looks has nothing to do with it. Your TB pic is ported and filled big time lol. The blade opening is all that matters. You can only do so much with the stock TB bc then you run into the shaft openings and you can't really machine out bore and then you need to get a larger TB blade etc. most of the time it wouldn't matter as all the LS1, truck and LS6 intakes the TB opening is really only 75MM, the stock TB is labeled as 78mm but it's really a 75MM or opening the TB any larger or upgrading isn't worth anything as you run it into the smaller intake opening.

My new intake will and should have the larger 90mm 4 bolt opening which is why I was thinking about a 85mm TB. I wouldn't want to go higher than a 90mm as the intake will only accommodate up to 90.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The holley sniper tb use a diff iac motor that holley has. its $50 so basically $230 for a nice quality budget 4 bolt.
If you dont think a 90mm tb vs a 3 bolt plate amd 3 bolt tb on a tbss manifold wont make a diff just because you are boosted, you are mistaken. the transition alone behind the tb can cause all sorts of issues. why even do that?
The nick williams is $369 shipped as well. the holley adj cable bracket is $32 so still right at that price. you can use the stock 99-02 truck cable bracket with minimal mods also but using a high quality tb will gain you more than just hp. idle tuning and transitions would be vastly improved.
So Holley TB will require a Holley IAC... great so when they stop making the IaC I'm screwed. This is why I like to stay OEM as you can get parts a lot easier and for a lot longer time.

So that $170 TB goes to $230 plus $32 bracket so we're at $262.

Well here's my reasoning. 1st the stock TB is reliabable and people with boosted motors have been pushing the stock TB to well over 800hp. You can't get an NA motor to 500hp with a stock TB. 2nd convience, I have 2 stock TBs, one ported and one not ported so it only cost me $22 for the adapter to run my current TB. 3rd and the main reason is that the stock TB has all the data in the stock PCM so the flow rates are accurate. If you step up to a larger TB there are a bunch of tables that change now and I have to tune them out which I'm no master tuner. But idle, startup, throttle transitions etc are all different bc at any given time the TB blade is letting in more air. The stock TB isn't really restricting me that much I feel but maybe as you said with the new intake the step behind could cause some turbulence. The only reason for the TB adapter purchase is so I could run my stock TB for cheap and get it running again without tuning for a larger TB.

I also forgot to mention that I run a 2004R so I have welded a tab on the stocks tB to hook up my trans TV cable. All the aftermarket TBs have aluminum cable cams so that's not going to work plus I can weld one I would have to fab a new bracket and prob drill and bolt some type of bracket down.

Last edited by customblackbird; 07-08-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I also only paid $37 for a brand new NBSS intake and the adapter so really it didn't cost me a damn thing lol.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Holley doesnt make the iac. They will have it for a very long time they use it on their efi kits also.
We are looking for an aftermarket option for that also (bwd, smp, etc).
Your math is correct, and you can make well over 500 na with a stock tb...78mm or 85mm or 90mm cable or dbw.

Quick Reply: ebay 3 bolt TB?