Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine storage block off plates?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Engine storage block off plates?!?

Need decent block off plates for the intake runners and exhaust ports for engine storage. I don't have a garage so my spare engine needs to be stored outside on a stand and under a tarp. I removed the The intake and exhaust to clean it up etc. I have tape on the 5.3 intake ports and exhaust ports for now but I know the tape is going to be a PiTA to remove in a few months or even a year.

I've only seen exhaust block off plates for like $30-40 on eBay but nothing for the intake ports. Anyone know of a decent block off kit?
Old 09-20-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

All I've ever seen is duct tape which actually seals things quite well. Acetone or lacquer thinner will clean it up when the time comes
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

For really long term storage pull the rockers.. it will reduce the fatigue on the valve springs and lifters..

I bought a couple NOS ford motors years ago and thats how they came out of the box rockers were in cosmoline in a bag. , also the engine was full of oil. IE FULL clear to the valve cover and including the cylinders. Had to drain the engine, pull plugs turn by hand , let sit for a day over a bucket. once we finished putting the accessories on started right up.. It had been stored for like 25 years.. YMMV just a interesting story...
Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tape seems like such a hack. Like it wouldn't be hard to waterjet for laser cut some block off plates for the LS engine. They would be great for assembly as well. I just see a market for them. I've only found water pump blockoffs and exhaust.

Interesting story of the engine full of oil. How did they get it into the cylinders? Just pour it into the intake or exhaust ports with the valves open?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

+1 on the engine full of oil. Can't think of a better long term preservative! lol On startup likely smoked a bit, BUT it was OILED! Smoking quits, fresh plugs.... good to go!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

For the intake ports would a spare intake manifold work ok?
The snout would have to be taped of course. Taping the exhaust works too. Had to store my 383 LS1 for six years this way. Runs great no issues.
​​​​​

To help with moisture control on the inside these might be useful. Saw them on Reher-Morrison's page a while back.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by customblackbird
The tape seems like such a hack. Like it wouldn't be hard to waterjet for laser cut some block off plates for the LS engine. They would be great for assembly as well. I just see a market for them. I've only found water pump blockoffs and exhaust.

Interesting story of the engine full of oil. How did they get it into the cylinders? Just pour it into the intake or exhaust ports with the valves open?
I assume they used the spark plug holes, because the rockers were in a box in wax paper in cosmoline.. (Nasty nasty stuff) , the history was completely lacking, the guy sold off a warehouse full of old engines that all looked like they were mil-spec packed bare long blocks, at the time he had GM 350's, Ford straight 6's, some international Straight 6's and some other weird stuff..
All the packaging was plain brown with black and white part info.. Unfortunately I came in like the last day and he had sold some stuff that woulda been really cool, supposedly had some BBC ford and Chevy long blocks, that went for about 250 each.. This was about 1990, it all came out of Seattle..
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea but you have to bolt it down and it adds a good bit of height to the motor. I think a set of heavy plastic or aluminum would be super easy to cut out and be sold for people who don't want to store a fully assembled motor on a stand.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Heavy duty shrink wrap.. ??
I wonder if you need block off plates if you used a commercial engine shipping box? I mean they are air tight at least the ones I've received, had to open a leader valve to get the lid off..
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you have it on a box if it's on a stand? Reason is for ease of moving it out and working on it. Basically I tore the engine apart down to the long block. Need to still put a car pan on it, and swap the stock LM7 cam for the LQ9. So I need access to the whole engine which is why it needs to stay on a stand. I also get a good bit of snow in the winter so keeping it high off the ground is a plus since it will only be covered by a tarp.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Before you throw a tarp over it, pull a HD black trash bag over it and tape the opening around the engine stand frame
Old 09-22-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Doh whoops I forgot your trying to work on it.. I was missile locked on storing the motor..

Hmm.. what about using a engine box, cut it so it fits over the motor on the stand ,, then use expanding foam to make a seal around the support shaft of the engine stand? that way you just pull the latches and drop the box off? The boxes are really sealed, so if you could seal to the engine stand pivot you'd be gold. I know its not the original question,, but just thinking out loud...
Old 09-22-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well with the intake on I can't fit a standard black 40-50 gallon contractor bag. Without the intake I can put the contractor bag on it. But still that leaves tape on the ports which becomes annoying to remove after some time as it just falls apart.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had some exhaust port covers a while back. I may have a few extra. I'll look for them (moved since I made them).

Engine storage block off plates?!?-abqbtko.jpg

Quick Reply: Engine storage block off plates?!?