Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen LS2 Dorman 90mm intake w/ Holley 90mm Sniper TB

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th Gen LS2 Dorman 90mm intake w/ Holley 90mm Sniper TB

Anyone else try this with a LS6 block?

I ground through the top of my Auto Zone water pump trying to fit this together, so I picked up a new Holley 22-100 water pump. Still had to grind off a piece of the pump turbine assy "ear" to fit the intake.

It looks like I have to grind about 0.210 inches off the bottom of the TB to clear the Holley water pump.

I'm spending an inordinate amount of time grinding.
This has become a major PITA.

Not sure if I would have tried this if I knew how poorly these parts fit together.

Helicoil works fine for using better hardware to secure the EGR block off plate.
Very tight fit for inlet duct...stock bellows barely able to make it fit. Had to grind off plastic fan housing ear at the center of the radiator. Had to grind down the water pump impeller housing ear to clear the intake. More grinding to clear the water pump. More grinding... I left 0.410 on the bottom flange. Next time I will trim to 0.375. Obviously, no one at Holley has actually tried to install one of these TBs. It started out with 0.600+!!?! Not even close...

Regards,

Darden
​​​​

Last edited by Senator; 01-04-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Update & pics
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

The nick williams tbs have extra clearance there for those issues.
We normally clearance the bottom of the dls2 intake at the tb throat also to make sure there arent any issues.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The nick williams tbs have extra clearance there for those issues.
We normally clearance the bottom of the dls2 intake at the tb throat also to make sure there arent any issues.
Thanks for the input.

This install looks like I need to open the top half of the inside of the dls2 throat about 1/8 inch since the intake bolts don't quite line up with the TB leaving a step.

The intake runners needed to be ported, and that job only took a couple hours - I went slowly since I never ported an intake before. Came out nicely, I think. A lot like throating a 1911, but bigger.

There is plenty of meat to grind down the TB...I just hate to since it's so purty.

Maybe Holley will take a hint from NW and save me half a day on the next one!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Holley wont. Gtos have a larger issue. That's the main reason why the nw has the clearance.
The intake does need work. I port one to two a week.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Holley wont. Gtos have a larger issue. That's the main reason why the nw has the clearance.
The intake does need work. I port one to two a week.
The Dorman LS2 intake must be getting pretty popular. I guess that's why the price seems to be going up. Folks were finding them for $300 to $350 early in 2017, but I feel I got really lucky to find one new on eBay for $366 shipped.
The runners in mine needed some work, but I just picked up some sandpaper twists and an angle air die grinder and did the job in a half a day, taking my time. Probably do it in a couple hours or less, if I had as much practice as you get.
I didn't touch the main cavity.

I want to replace the EGR cover bolt with something nicer than the one that Dorman supplies. Thinking about a Rivnut thread insert. What is the best glue to use on these intakes?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Dorman is actually enforcing map pricing on them now and the places that use to literally ***** them out got a dose of reality so to speak. They didnt like it. That is why rockauto doesnt have them any more and a few other dorman parts.

We have the only billet blockoff plate that works to completely seal that spot.
Here is the link to it
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4790
Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

I take it that you get them directly from Dorman, now. That makes sense. Too bad I didn't start paying attention to that before Dorman started to get upset...

Thanks for the link. I have a block off plate already, so I will do a leak check and pick up one of yours if there is a problem.

Even if I use one of yours, I'm still stuck with the hardware store looking hold down bolt provided by Dorman, unless I can put in a Rivnut or glue in a nut to take the M6 threaded bolt provided (with the flush head), that looks far better. I tried a helicoil, but for some reason it ended up being way too tight. Not sure why.

What kind of glue do you use with these plastic intakes? PVC black glue?
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Actually all you need is a slightly longer m6 socket head screw and it will work. I use the dorman screws for their ease but a longer screw will work.

We use panel bond. Marine Bond works also.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Senator
Anyone else try this with a LS6 block?

I ground through the top of my Auto Zone water pump trying to fit this together, so I picked up a new Holley 22-100 water pump. Still had to grind off a piece of the pump turbine assy "ear" to fit the intake.

It looks like I have to grind about 0.210 inches off the bottom of the TB to clear the Holley water pump.

I'm spending an inordinate amount of time grinding.
This has become a major PITA.

Not sure if I would have tried this if I knew how poorly these parts fit together.

I will post pics when I finish and final measurements.

Regards,

Darden
​​​​
Which sniper do you have , the 92 mm for $169
Old 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omc8
Which sniper do you have , the 92 mm for $169
Yes. I got it during the recent Holley Days sale for $148 from Summit. Lots of room to trim as needed off the bottom. Started at about 0.62 from the bottom of the throat. Trimmed 0.210 off the bottom...
Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I ran into the same issue with the Holley Sniper 92. I wish I had seen this thread prior to purchase. Holley needs kicked in the *** for releasing such a poor fitting product.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen LS2 Dorman 90mm intake w/ Holley 90mm Sniper TB