Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back to Y pipe set up

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back to Y pipe set up

I've been comtemplating this for about a week now, and i have to decide this weekend which way im going to go. If I am to go back to a catback set up over true duals dumped, I have only one choice. Hooker catback. I originally had a 2.5 inch y pipe on it, and the catback was great sounding. If i put a 3 inch y pipe on it this time, is the sound going to change much? someone told me it should make it a considerable amount louder than it was. but i can't really see how...perhaps a little.

My parents have decided to hang on (and pay for ) my car while im away at school rather than me working full time, going to school full time, and playing ice hockey full time. So i gotta make the car a little more "legal" i guess.

opinions/comments/suggestions

Thanks
Travis
Old 07-03-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the middle of doing the same thing, ditching the duals.... I would get the 3" Y because of the better flow anyways. The 2.5 is just too small. Nice choice on the catback too, I just ordered one If you want it LOUD and extremely freeflowing again, just get dual cutouts on the Y
Old 07-03-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

ehh thats the thing when i had the 2.5 inch y pipe to the hooker catback, it sounded great. It did have al ittle raspiness to it but nothing worth complaining about.

Didn't you have the true duals with the flowmaster 10series dumped? just too loud im guessing? I think it was your car i heard a sound clip of, cargasmic. but i could see if you had to drive it every day how that could get annoying.

already ordered 1 cut out for the I pipe. I gotta make sure i have enough room to lower this time.

thanks for the post.
Travis
Old 07-03-2004, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I have the Flowmaster 10 series dumped right now, its just waaaaaay too loud. No cop problems and MANY compliments, but its deafening inside the car between 2200-2800 RPMs from the drone. The radio is practically useless when driving it. Its great for a race car, but not a street car IMO. I also hit on everything in the road. I want to lower my car, but no way with the duals I also miss the tips in the rear, it boring back there with nothing Im also getting tired of being yelled at to slow down in my neighborhood when Im only going 30 (the speed limit) because it sounds like Im doing 100 since you can hear my car anywhere in the place.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha i get the same thing. doing 25 while soccer mom in her SUV is passing me on a neighborhood street yet im still the one that gets yelled at to slow down. easily remedied with a m-80 in a mail box. or just letting my dog **** in their yard. anyhow..rant aside...

I still love the sound of my car, just with all the fabrication it has taken and shops STILL can't get it right im tired of dealing with it. i got a new set of pacesetter headers cause they fucked up the collectors just welding **** to it. They paid for them, so i wanna buy a new y pipe and new catback and start from scratch.

by any chance do u know where i can buy another exhaust mounting hanger that is in the rear section of the car. Passenger side , rear of the axle? the same shop must have taken that off with the old original exhaust, dumb *****.
Travis
Old 07-03-2004, 10:10 AM

Look in the For sale sections here, I think I remember a few threads about people parting out cars, they should have them. The only other place is a junk yard or dealer ($$$$).

What you said is true about the sound of the duals, I LOVE it. Its the sound that you feel in your chest, but not worth it anymore.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slik98z
If i put a 3 inch y pipe on it this time, is the sound going to change much? someone told me it should make it a considerable amount louder than it was. but i can't really see how...perhaps a little.
Larger pipe slows exhaust velocity.
Slower exhaust gas = quieter
(in the sense of deeper tone, less rasp, and peak volume)
Old 07-03-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ratio411
Larger pipe slows exhaust velocity.
Slower exhaust gas = quieter
(in the sense of deeper tone, less rasp, and peak volume)
oh sweet so it would probably have a lower pitch than with the 2.5 inch pipe, but have more growl and even louder at WOT just clarifying what you are saying?
Travis
Old 07-03-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

ahh now im considering not getting duels.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you can live with the sound, go for it. I know i can. but i drive WAAY to much i think. I love how it sounds, just the catback is more practical for me now. I will defiantely miss the tone. thats a given. but im logging around 70 miles a day now. and my parents will be taking the car instead of me putting it in storage while im at school. so i gotta tone it down mostly for them.

if you can handle the noise go for it dude. i will still recommend true duals over anything else. just make sure you know what you are doing or go to a shop that has experience unlike i did.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zchgla
ahh now im considering not getting duels.
Hey.. don't let these guys get to ya.. They both have really good reasons for wanting to switch back to Catbacks...

CountryBoy's setup was awesome, but he is running like the second loudest mufflers you can get. Flowmaster 10 series are about as loud as bullets.

Go with 2.5" tubing and a set of Magnaflow or Borla mufflers, and trust me, you will be happy.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I did just this about 4 weeks ago. The duals on my car was too loud for "MY" taste anymore. It sounded awsome, but like mentioned above, the radio is about useless. I am now running the Hooker catback and really love it. Perfect combo IMO.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really like my ypipe setup

heres a couple pics

3", dual cutouts, flowmaster collector, 3.5" dual chamber 40 series flowstopper race muffler (this thing sound fuggen AMAZING, but flows like complete ****)
Old 07-03-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Damn.. that has to be loud setup..

How much $ ?
Old 07-03-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i find it ironic that flowmaster calls that muffler the "flowstopper"lol

looks tight. z28venom you still got your pacesetter y pipe with the cut outs by any chance?
Old 07-03-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slik98z
i find it ironic that flowmaster calls that muffler the "flowstopper"lol

looks tight. z28venom you still got your pacesetter y pipe with the cut outs by any chance?

Yea.. still have it. Tried selling it, but shipping from Hawaii was a pain in the ***.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they dont call it the flowstopper, i do because i gain 14+ hp with the caps off

as for sound, not too loud, just perfect
Old 07-06-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

is the radio really useless in a car with true duels just driving around? how loud is it inside the car with true duels?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

dumped with a set of bullets, inside the car its pretty loud, tolerable, but it can get old quickly. if you use some kind of real muffler (not any of the "race" style mufflers of any brand) you would probably be ok. i would like to think if i used cats my system would have been quiet. Mostly im not changing it because of the noise. The muffler shop did such a horrible job to get it fixed elsewhere is going to run me mroe than a new catback and ypipe set up.

btw Countryboy i just picked up my hooker catback and a 3 inch flowtech cut out, together it came to 242 bucks with tax. gota love a local discount. so booyaaa bitch haha, now time to figure out if i can use a gosh damn hooker ory with my pacesetters.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

what about dumped with sweet-thunder mufflers? and btw slik how did you get the hooker for so cheap, i know local...but how?