Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 90/92 which maf and what size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast 90/92 which maf and what size?

Im sure this has been asked a million times but I still haven't found a clear answer so hoping some one can chime in.

Forged ls1, ported 243's, ported fast 90mm/92 nick Williams, speartech standalone harness for gen 3 engines. Couple classified ads right now for 85mm ls6 screenless/screened mafs, truck 90mm maf, 90mm granatelli maf, and stock ls1/ls6 maf. Which would be the best choice and is it as simple as buying the adapter harness to go from a 3 pin to 5 pin for the truck and granatelli maf?

intake will be a 90 degree elbow off the throttle body to a straight pipe (opinion on tube size recommended ?) To a cone style filter.

The efi deal is all new to me so learning all of this stuff from the forum and internet, any info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No maf, go speed density
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
No maf, go speed density
This and then throw a 92mm Nick Williams TB or PTI TB on it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
No maf, go speed density
This......
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This......
Lol. What's a MAF? I'm confused by all these fancy acronyms.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the OP question goes, if you really want to run the MAF, then it will depend on your computer and harness. If you have a separate IAT sensor, then three wire MAF. If not, then go for the built in IAT, 5 wire MAF. There are adapters out there to convert 5 to three. I don't think it goes the other way though, unless you like repining things.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

For that combo the truck MAF is a nice match and easy to get tuning data for it
Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't rely on factory data, you've changed a lot of airflow values with your setup. Get it tuned.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Lol. What's a MAF? I'm confused by all these fancy acronyms.
Mass Air Flow meter. Yeah some acronyms get me too. Especially military ones; SOCOM, SOPMOD, ACOG, etc.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Mass Air Flow meter. Yeah some acronyms get me too. Especially military ones; SOCOM, SOPMOD, ACOG, etc.
I know what it means brother. It was my attempt at "tuner" humor.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can help you with those though... Special operations command, special operations peculiar mod, advanced combat optical gunsight.

I'm sure you know what they mean. And the most confusing military acronyms are the ones that have multiple meanings. Like IDF.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Yeah, wasn't sure you were pulling our collective chain! lol I fell for it! Gullible me... Yeah I knew most of the military ones too(not all...) but it all gets to be alphabet soup after a while... And when I DO learn a new one, I'm like, WTF....
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Teching In

This whole swap is still being put together so I'm open to changing stuff up if possible. I already have a nick Williams 92mm so I'm good there. As far as speed density how does it work and what do I need to purchase to do it?

My speartech harness is for gen3 ls1/6/5.3 etc so it has the 3 pin plug style maf and I would assume it has the iat but the harness is still bring shipped to me do can't verify yet.

I don't have any kind of a tune yet so that will be starting from a clean slate for the tuner, everything I've read speed density is more for boosted cars rather than street daily driven cars and is harder to tune but the guys running can you tell me wether that's true or not ?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, wasn't sure you were pulling our collective chain! lol I fell for it! Gullible me... Yeah I knew most of the military ones too(not all...) but it all gets to be alphabet soup after a while... And when I DO learn a new one, I'm like, WTF....
Same here brother. I was yanking chains. I see SS on here a lot, and have talked tuning with him a few times on here. He's a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I've been tuning for a good while, but I still learn new things. That's kind of the point, to learn.

My favorite military acronym is probably LPC's... leather personnel carriers.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 65mustang408
This whole swap is still being put together so I'm open to changing stuff up if possible. I already have a nick Williams 92mm so I'm good there. As far as speed density how does it work and what do I need to purchase to do it?

My speartech harness is for gen3 ls1/6/5.3 etc so it has the 3 pin plug style maf and I would assume it has the iat but the harness is still bring shipped to me do can't verify yet.

I don't have any kind of a tune yet so that will be starting from a clean slate for the tuner, everything I've read speed density is more for boosted cars rather than street daily driven cars and is harder to tune but the guys running can you tell me wether that's true or not ?
You don't need anything extra for speed density. It is harder to tune, but a good tuner will tune it anyway, then tune the MAF.

The difference is SD is based on a theoretical fuel value that uses MAP and rpm, and some other things. Climate and altitude can affect it. Street cars are best off using MAF IMO. I'm sure some die hard SD guys will probably chime in and say it's the best thing ever, but in reality, MAF is just a more effective way to measure air, and not a theoretical table to calculate fuel.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You don't need anything extra for speed density. It is harder to tune, but a good tuner will tune it anyway, then tune the MAF.

The difference is SD is based on a theoretical fuel value that uses MAP and rpm, and some other things. Climate and altitude can affect it. Street cars are best off using MAF IMO. AGREED I'm sure some die hard SD guys will probably chime in and say it's the best thing ever, YES THEY WILL but in reality, MAF is just a more effective way to measure air, and not a theoretical table to calculate fuel.THATS WHAT IM STICKING WITH
I've seen a guy with a max effort build on a SBE get tuned by a very reputable tuner and only pick up like 3hp by going to SD. If it were crazy power maybe, but a MAFmeasuring the volume and essentially temp of the air coming into the enigine. Seems like a pretty good idea to me.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

The difference is SD is based on a theoretical fuel value that uses MAP and rpm, and some other things. Climate and altitude can affect it. Street cars are best off using MAF IMO. I'm sure some die hard SD guys will probably chime in and say it's the best thing ever, but in reality, MAF is just a more effective way to measure air, and not a theoretical table to calculate fuel.
This is true, but he will need a longer TB to lid intake hose, as he might as well remove the MAF from the system if going with a SD tune.

I recommend the 4" 22 deg intake hose part number 22B-400X4
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only real "problem" people usually end up having with a MAF, is when you put a big cam in there with a lot of overlap. This will cause fresh air to enter the exhaust and fool your O2 sensors into a false lean condition, causing your Short Term Fuel Trims (STFTs) to chase themselves around at idle. It causes surging and bucking.

Easy fix for this is to do an open loop (OL) idle using Power Enrichment (PE). PE disables fuel trims, so all that needs to be done is enable it through 1200 or 1600 rpm and set the Equivalence Ratio (EQ) to 1.0 in those rpms. Obviously you'll want to leave PE alone in the higher rpms and shoot for your 12.5 air fuel ratio (AFR) in PE (N/A cars).

Then you have a hybrid tune that uses both SD and MAF.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Teching In

The only real "problem" people usually end up having with a MAF, is when you put a big cam in there with a lot of overlap. This will cause fresh air to enter the exhaust and fool your O2 sensors into a false lean condition, causing your Short Term Fuel Trims (STFTs) to chase themselves around at idle. It causes surging and bucking.

Easy fix for this is to do an open loop (OL) idle using Power Enrichment (PE). PE disables fuel trims, so all that needs to be done is enable it through 1200 or 1600 rpm and set the Equivalence Ratio (EQ) to 1.0 in those rpms. Obviously you'll want to leave PE alone in the higher rpms and shoot for your 12.5 air fuel ratio (AFR) in PE (N/A cars).

Then you have a hybrid tune that uses both SD and MAF.
this sounds like science to me lol. I appreciate the feedback guys I'll get with the tuner and see what he suggests I do and go from there.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

All the SD cars Ive done have no drivability differences then MAP cars Ive done. Its undetectable to you behind the wheel, and they seem to be fine in the long term as far as hitting the target AFR. I dont change climates/altitudes when driving though.

Quick Reply: Fast 90/92 which maf and what size?