Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LS1 with Dorman 615-901 (90mm)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock LS1 with Dorman 615-901 (90mm)?

I know similar topics have been discussed 1 million times but I have a 98 SS, stock internally, basically: Lid, Headers, Exhaust, Plugs/Wires (in terms of engine mods).

I plan to in the future to get heads/cam, street able but aggressive.

My question is, will my stock injectors (28-32lbs I think), be able to handle the Dorman 615-901 90mm intake, or should I just stick with the LS6 intake? I really don't want to upgrade the injectors just yet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Your stock injectors will be just fine at that power level.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

May I suggest saving up for a Fast intake since you'll be doing heads and cam down the road anyways
Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just installed this intake along with heads and a cam, I will be doing a detailed build thread once I get it tuned. Bought 36lb Bosch injectors that should flow 42lbs at LS1 fuel pressure. Used the Holley sniper throttle body

I would stick with the ls6 intake until you get the heads and cam.

With the dorman unit you will need to do some pretty basic stuff to make it work, not it's easy if your good mechanically. You will have to add a nipple for the vacuum systems, grind the water pump some and the throttle body. The intake runners also need to be smoothed.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I just installed this intake along with heads and a cam, I will be doing a detailed build thread once I get it tuned. Bought 36lb Bosch injectors that should flow 42lbs at LS1 fuel pressure. Used the Holley sniper throttle body

With the dorman unit you will need to do some pretty basic stuff to make it work, not it's easy if your good mechanically. You will have to add a nipple for the vacuum systems, grind the water pump some and the throttle body. The intake runners also need to be smoothed.
I don't mind doing the work on it, the only thing I need to figure out is what people are doing for the intake bellow from throttle body to MAF to lid, I know it will sit lower and it causes some complications. I think the gains are worth the trouble.

I did see a flow comparison where the Dorman out flowed the LS6 but not by a crazy amount, and I assume the Dorman was worked a little. I think the LS6 with a little work would match the Dorman in the low/mid range.

I'm still on the fence but unless a used fast pops up for a good price I don't think I'd consider getting one. My friend has the Fast 78, I might consider that if he would sell it lol.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like most of the info I need is right here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s2-intake.html

If you have suggestions or reasons why I should go LS6, chime in, maybe you can change my mind but I've heard the Dorman is the best bang for buck.

Last edited by Mike96z; 02-14-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike96z
I don't mind doing the work on it, the only thing I need to figure out is what people are doing for the intake bellow from throttle body to MAF to lid, I know it will sit lower and it causes some complications. I think the gains are worth the trouble.

I did see a flow comparison where the Dorman out flowed the LS6 but not by a crazy amount, and I assume the Dorman was worked a little. I think the LS6 with a little work would match the Dorman in the low/mid range.

I'm still on the fence but unless a used fast pops up for a good price I don't think I'd consider getting one. My friend has the Fast 78, I might consider that if he would sell it lol.
My stock bellows fit around the holley throttle body. I also switch my lid to a 98mm FTP air lid and upgraded to the 85mm delphi MAF. If I used my OEM lid and MAF it still would have fit.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

how do u like those injectors? i got the 36 pound densos cause they were like 15 dollars cheaper at the time......car still apart
Old 02-15-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I haven't even fired up the car yet. I should get it going up pretty soon (like within the next two weeks). I want to get a pre-tune done before I attempt to fire it up since I've changed so much. Just have to work with my tuner on a time. It was pretty easy to get the injector data from Fuel Injector Connection even though I bought them from Texas Speed.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. What are the part number of those Bosch or Denso injectors?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

google searching, "#165-FIC36LS1B" will give you the texas speed link because I think they are overstock that have been discontinued and no other results will come up lol. I have the fuel data if you end up needing it, just PM me
Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

google searching, "#165-FIC36LS1B" will give you the texas speed link because I think they are overstock that have been discontinued and no other results will come up lol. I have the fuel data if you end up needing it, just PM me
Yea I seen them listed there, I wasn't sure if I could find them elsewhere lol. I found someone selling "Fuel Injector Clinic" 56lb injectors for the same price locally.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I seen them listed there, I wasn't sure if I could find them elsewhere lol. I found someone selling "Fuel Injector Clinic" 56lb injectors for the same price locally.
Honestly, from what I have read, I think 52 might be a bit to much for just an intake.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, from what I have read, I think 52 might be a bit to much for just an intake.
Yea I'm sure they would be. I probably won't get injectors now. I'm kind of leaning towards the LS6 intake now. I don't mind doing the work for the Dorman but I couldn't find enough proof that it would outperform it by that much other than in the higher end. I'm sure the more power you get the difference would become more noticeable.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I'm sure they would be. I probably won't get injectors now. I'm kind of leaning towards the LS6 intake now. I don't mind doing the work for the Dorman but I couldn't find enough proof that it would outperform it by that much other than in the higher end. I'm sure the more power you get the difference would become more noticeable.
Yea I wouldn't expect much on OEM heads. We'll see what the COMBO does for me. I have an LS6 intake just laying around right now but I dont want to get rid of it until I can confirm the reliability of the Dorman in the coming weeks.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I wouldn't expect much on OEM heads. We'll see what the COMBO does for me. I have an LS6 intake just laying around right now but I dont want to get rid of it until I can confirm the reliability of the Dorman in the coming weeks.
Yea I know the gains will be slight but it's a gain for sure, especially after I tune it somewhat. I know the LS6 intakes are hard to find but easy to sell. I might pick one up and if I decide to change down the line I'll surely do that.

If you get numbers of your ls6 vs dorman please share!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I know the gains will be slight but it's a gain for sure, especially after I tune it somewhat. I know the LS6 intakes are hard to find but easy to sell. I might pick one up and if I decide to change down the line I'll surely do that.

If you get numbers of your ls6 vs dorman please share!
The problem I'll have is I did everything at the same time. I am going directly from an OEM engine w/LS6 intake to a full bolt on H/C/I with all new components so I won't have an exact LS6 vs. DLS2 comparison. The car has been down since November as I do everything at the same time.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem I'll have is I did everything at the same time. I am going directly from an OEM engine w/LS6 intake to a full bolt on H/C/I with all new components so I won't have an exact LS6 vs. DLS2 comparison. The car has been down since November as I do everything at the same time.
Gotcha.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

mike, keep in mind that generally speaking, the larger you go injector wise, the tougher it is for the tuner to get it fine tuned, like idling and such. thats why i can't understand why these guys are putting 60+ pounders on HCI cars. they flow so much that i think its tough for the injectors to only put a small amount of fuel like when ur idling. i think the 36s that flow 42ish at 58 psi run roughly 80% duty around 450 rwhp or so.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Floorman279
mike, keep in mind that generally speaking, the larger you go injector wise, the tougher it is for the tuner to get it fine tuned, like idling and such. thats why i can't understand why these guys are putting 60+ pounders on HCI cars. they flow so much that i think its tough for the injectors to only put a small amount of fuel like when ur idling. i think the 36s that flow 42ish at 58 psi run roughly 80% duty around 450 rwhp or so.
Make's sense, I just wasn't sure if it was hard on the injectors to slow them down.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 with Dorman 615-901 (90mm)?