Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What MAF to run with FAST 102/NW 102?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Just say no to CARB!!!!😂
Got THAT right! ONE cool thing here, if you're building a kit car and it's a replica of an older car, you have the option of titling it as the year of the OLDER car you are replicating! NO smog on ANY engine used in such a situation, except for PCV valve (VERY minor!). But that's about the only plus...
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Got THAT right! ONE cool thing here, if you're building a kit car and it's a replica of an older car, you have the option of titling it as the year of the OLDER car you are replicating! NO smog on ANY engine used in such a situation, except for PCV valve (VERY minor!). But that's about the only plus...
That just shows how *** backwards CARB. Can have a mountain motor that dumps fuel and NOX and only needs pcv, but the guy with a stock fbody that wants to put a turbo on that increases efficiency can't do it unless it's an STS.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
That just shows how *** backwards CARB. Can have a mountain motor that dumps fuel and NOX and only needs pcv, but the guy with a stock fbody that wants to put a turbo on that increases efficiency can't do it unless it's an STS.
Yep! To me, if a car has to be smogged, stick a sniffer up the pipe and go for it, no matter WHAT has been done to it!. Long tubes with cats, as long as the cats are doing their job, should never be a problem! But here, it has to be OEM configuration unless it has a CARB exemption. Things COULD be so much easier....
Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
basically, its all hogwash. If you don't tune, STFU with your opinion (not you specifically). To validate a proper response, you need to have tuned both. Not just speculate, you need first hand knowledge. For all you pro-Mafers, go wideband a stock tune, you might be surprised what you find out about your wonderful MAF. And VE isn't harder to tune either.....not even sure where yall come up with this crap.
tuning VE is straightforward and well documented, i think most t00ners don't want to take the time to get it right. "Hard" in the context that it takes more work, perhaps. You should have your VE dialed in regardless if you run MAF or SD, though, so i don't get what the arguement is here.

as far as MAFs, just from the handful i've dealt with, they are not all the same, even sharing the same PN. Just getting a replacement MAF can throw your stuff off. Dialed in and sticking with a particular unit, though, i've had nary an issue.

but i've only had experience on a handful of cars.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

If enough airflow is happening to exceed the g/sec limit in the PCM, then sure, SD all the way with the right OS and MAP.

otherwise, if you're just a bolt-on or h/c/i guy it's a matter of preference as far as i think. Just do it right either way. I can see some trepidation about VE cells that are only reached at wot in the higher RPM ranges, but a little forethought and estimation can prevent you from going lean when you hit them for the first time.

i don't see why people ever get bent out of shape about running one or the other. Maybe 10+ years ago.