Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause msd wire to explode...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would cause msd wire to explode...

Engine was shaking like crazy..Been a while since i changed plugs...Put in some new tr55 plugs and found one of my wires looks like it just split in half..Didnt burn on the header, just ripped almost in half...
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Defective. If you replace the wires, go back to OEM. MSD has not been proven to be any better.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Defective. If you replace the wires, go back to OEM. MSD has not been proven to be any better.
i know they are a bitch to get on and off...if you dont hear the "click" its hard to tell if they are snug enough on the plugs..
Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

I had a few plug wires in an MSD set fail in similar fashion and they weren't touching the headers either. I think the heat and elements get to them, it's simply a shitty wire. I went back to OEM plug wires and have had no problems for years.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Teching In

I would bet the edge of the sparkplug connector is right at that location. spark plug wires that are hard to get to click on the spark plug willl bend right there and the connector will gouge into the silicone and that is where they split either immediately or a while down the road with heat.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HighAltitude
I would bet the edge of the sparkplug connector is right at that location. spark plug wires that are hard to get to click on the spark plug willl bend right there and the connector will gouge into the silicone and that is where they split either immediately or a while down the road with heat.
i think you are on to something...these are a bitch to get on and you dont really hear a click..look at where its all bent to hell just after where the plug goes in...

Old 03-05-2019, 12:06 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I decided to change my old set of MSD's that had about 100k on them when I was doing plugs. They had always performed perfectly. Replaced them with a new set and ended up with misfires. It took me a while to chase the cause down because of my faith in their product due to previous experience. No more.

We replaced them with an el cheapo set for testing purposes and I've left them on because the engine has run perfectly ever since.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

That happened because it's rubber. Rubber ages and comes apart easily. Looks like it just cracked open from age.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
That happened because it's rubber. Rubber ages and comes apart easily. Looks like it just cracked open from age.
they are about 10 years old lol...probably gonna get a new ac delco or denso set...they are the same damn thing but way easier to get on and off...
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i thought they were silicone
Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
they are about 10 years old lol...probably gonna get a new ac delco or denso set...they are the same damn thing but way easier to get on and off...

Well then you got your moneys worth out of them for sure. 10 years is great.

I'm a tech by trade. I take plug wires on and off all day. There's no brand that's easier than others. The boot either seizes to the porcelain or doesn't. Which is the hardest part to get to break free. That's why it's important to twist them on the plug and get things freed up before pulling on them. A LARGE percentage of the time, if I just grab and yank.. either the rubber end breaks off with the metal clip, or just the clip rips off like in your picture. It's extremely common.