Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Another one bites the dust

Not sure what this alternator fiasco is i'm going through right now. Original alternator died a couple years ago. I put a reman oreilly unit on. Lasted almost two years including almost a year with the turbo (keep that in mind). It always made a whining sound and died on me about 1.5-2 months ago. I swap it out for another one. It lasts a week or two. So then I put an ac delco Reman on it. It lasted about a month. WTH. Am i just having bad luck? Battery is good. Wires are good. I was in a hurry last time and got a delco reman, This time I'm just gonna wait and I ordered a new delco one.

Maybe the turbo heat is eating them? But then the original oreilly alternator lasted quite a while. The turbo manifold is 3 to 4" from the alternator and the pipe is above the alternator. heat rises was my thought but it also radiates off it. Maybe I should go ahead and wrap the exhaust manifold with heat wrap?

Maybe the reman units are just bad. I have had things like this happen in the past....just kept changing till I got a good one. Maybe getting a new one will solve it. I'm still wrapping pipes. Ive been driving the car every day but I guess i need to park it for a while till I can pull the manifold and wrap it.

thoughts?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The turbo mani is 3-4" from the alternate with no wrap? Yes I would wrap it. I haven't heard good things about parts store reman's in general, but that heat must be brutal for it.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ddnspider
The turbo mani is 3-4" from the alternate with no wrap? Yes I would wrap it. I haven't heard good things about parts store reman's in general, but that heat must be brutal for it.
Well it was two oreilly ones that failed. Then a reman ac delco. So I have a New delco coming now. And i'm gonna wrap the manifold and make a heat shield.

something else I just thought about. I have an under drive crank pulley. Idles at 600-625 rpm. Voltage is 13.1-13.2 at idle and then comes up as i start moving/rpms go up. Maybe it does not like the load at that rpm (ac, cooling fans, stereo etc)? And i shift at 6800-7000rpm. i want to put an over drive pulley on it but I'm scared that kind of rpm will kil it too.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Well it was two oreilly ones that failed. Then a reman ac delco. So I have a New delco coming now. And i'm gonna wrap the manifold and make a heat shield.

something else I just thought about. I have an under drive crank pulley. Idles at 600-625 rpm. Voltage is 13.1-13.2 at idle and then comes up as i start moving/rpms go up. Maybe it does not like the load at that rpm (ac, cooling fans, stereo etc)? And i shift at 6800-7000rpm. i want to put an over drive pulley on it but I'm scared that kind of rpm will kil it too.
I doubt the underdrive is an issue. It's less work for the alternator.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Try a kg3 145 amp truck alternator from a junk yard for $60 ?

I have had mine for years now
Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Never have had good luck with aftermarket alternators in my car, going with an ac delco this time...
Old 06-24-2019, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

can the truck alt fit in your turbo setup ?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

Check out DB electrical alternators. I ran them and there starters and never had one fail. Ive been running the powermaster small case from an Fbody on my truck accessories for 2 years with turbo and no issues. Its there 160amp version but makes more than 170 according to there test sheet. This is with the Hot underhood temps and I charge at 14-14.5v at idle even with the fans on (i see the alt drop for a split sec on the fan spike). But you can get a truck LS 130amp large case Alt for less than $80 on DB electrical and its NEW with shipping, there starters for my 5.3 are also new and beasts I have 3 of them and all work great. plus no core charge.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Check out DB electrical alternators. I ran them and there starters and never had one fail. Ive been running the powermaster small case from an Fbody on my truck accessories for 2 years with turbo and no issues. Its there 160amp version but makes more than 170 according to there test sheet. This is with the Hot underhood temps and I charge at 14-14.5v at idle even with the fans on (i see the alt drop for a split sec on the fan spike). But you can get a truck LS 130amp large case Alt for less than $80 on DB electrical and its NEW with shipping, there starters for my 5.3 are also new and beasts I have 3 of them and all work great. plus no core charge.

Thx. They actually make a 180 amp version, it’s $300....,if this delco doesn’t last I’ll get my money back and order one of those. Wish I knew about these before I bought this one. It actually says it’s make to take the heat. Damn. It’s pretty tempting.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Thx. They actually make a 180 amp version, it’s $300....,if this delco doesn’t last I’ll get my money back and order one of those. Wish I knew about these before I bought this one. It actually says it’s make to take the heat. Damn. It’s pretty tempting.

Yours is an 04? You could prob get away with the $115 140amp. I can't say for sure but High Amp alternators ususally trade off idle/low rpm charging for high end charging mid/upper rpms. I would call DB and ask them what they put out at idle bc thats where you will need it most especially with your underdrive pulleys (yuck). U know on the LS truck motors the 105 vs 130amp alternators are a large difference in idle charging amps... only a 25amp rated difference but I think the large case makes 30+amps at idle more. The guys at DB will and can also make custom alternators, they know there stuff.