Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan (am I screwed)**UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I would give it a shot too honestly. And I wish you the very best of luck. I truly hope you are able to repair it without pulling the tyranny.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 685 Likes on 475 Posts

Never tried it; wouldn't "recommend" it; but you're in a whaddya got to lose kinda situation. Won't hurt to try it.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg725
Oh I'm going to be gooping some rtv for sure BUT I've stumbled upon this last night gonna try it out cant hurt if I end up having to replace the cover anyways and it says it makes threads that hold up to 128ftlb so it shouldn't have a problem with the 106inlbs if anyone here has not tried it I'm gonna be the test dummy on it.....I seen a video of the stuff and it seems like it should do the job
I hope it works out for you as well!.. not to come across as... "that guy" i think you're better off just replacing the part (rear cover) thats damaged.. A few times in my 46yr of existence I've tried things either against my better judgment or maybe to save a buck or time and it's bit me in the ***. Pulling the transmission in order to change the rear cover isn't bad.. i recently had to due to cheap rear seal i used.. that whole against my better judgment thing lol... and thats soon after I just reinstall the motor I built. just my .02 my friend
and btw that was just me doing all the work by myself.. with torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder... and old lol
Old 10-06-2020, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Well 98zeric I was in a what would it hurt situation sense it was stripped couldn't strip it any more but here's my update for those in on the thread

Ordered the stuff off amazon gotta love prime 2day shipping so I got the package and dug in

In the package
1) release agent
2) 2 tubes each one containing different parts of the compound
3) little spatula

So what I did was clean off the bolt threads really good and applied a generious amount of release agent on the bolt while that was sitting there I mixed up equal parts of each solution mixed them really good not just stirring but flipping it and pressing it in so I know for sure it fully mixed. Now I scooped up the mixed solution and gooped it all over the bolt threads and ran it up into the hole getting it to grab as much as possible wouldnt really go too tight. Here it say to let stand for 5 minutes so I started my stop watch and 5 minutes goes by and I backed the bolt out now the directions says after it cures for 30 more minutes you can torque the bolt down I said screw that and let it cure over night. Next day comes I go out to the garage and run the bolt it.......it grabbed firmly a lot better than before (Hope's are high at this moment) bust out my inch pound torque wrench and set it to 106................anddddd that **** actually worked it torqued down no problem this crap is magic! and claims to be able to handle 128 ftlb of torque
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg725:
biketopia (10-07-2020), G Atsma (10-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Right on!.. my bad, I was under the impression you was taking the k-member down and remove the oil pan to put the goo in the hole.... ya that could come across a different way... then it would seem like it would be better to just remove the transmission and fix it correctly. Either way that's
great that stuff worked out for you!

Last edited by 98Zeric; 10-09-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just happened to me

Except the bolt snapped and fell out the pan immediately after. Bolt has about 2 threads left.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by 07chevyhoe
Except the bolt snapped and fell out the pan immediately after. Bolt has about 2 threads left.
Aaaaand then what??
Who are you directing this to??
The following users liked this post:
Coy (04-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Oil pan (am I screwed)**UPDATE**