Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan (am I screwed)**UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil pan (am I screwed)**UPDATE**

Did h/c/I swap had my buddy under the car tightening the oil pan up while I buttoned things up on the top end and there is a leak now, I crawl under there to investigate and he stripped the damn bolt in the back of the pan I'm stressed and pissed off cause I got an appointment set with a tuner 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Anyone got some tricks to fix this issue in the car? Dont have a way to yank the motor at my house

Last edited by tberg725; 10-07-2020 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 09-19-2020, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 529 Likes on 409 Posts

You will have to remove the pan and install the correct size Heli-Coil into the block. Should be able to be done with engine in the car if you can get the oil pan out.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-19-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Those are one of the really long bolts that thread into the bottom of the rear cover. OP, when you say stripped, do you mean spinning or the head is rounded (I can't really see in the picture). A few years back I had one snap while torquing it down and thought it was stripped, turned out it broke right before the threads and the gasket had just enough purchase to keep the bolt retained (I was able to turn the threads out of the rear cover by hand once I got the pan off). If you can't get the motor lifted and drop the pan, can you get the trans moved back to give you some room to work?
Old 09-20-2020, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 337 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg725
Did h/c/I swap had my buddy under the car tightening the oil pan up
I assume you didn't have the pan off? He was just checking the pan bolt tightness..???

I see a drop of oil on the filter, is that oil from the leak?
Old 09-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you just pull the bolt and just tap it to the next size up, if its metric go to the next size sae
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bbond105
You will have to remove the pan and install the correct size Heli-Coil into the block. Should be able to be done with engine in the car if you can get the oil pan out.
This kinda kicked me right in the nuts after getting this motor all together but that's gonna have to be the route it seems

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Those are one of the really long bolts that thread into the bottom of the rear cover. OP, when you say stripped, do you mean spinning or the head is rounded (I can't really see in the picture). A few years back I had one snap while torquing it down and thought it was stripped, turned out it broke right before the threads and the gasket had just enough purchase to keep the bolt retained (I was able to turn the threads out of the rear cover by hand once I got the pan off). If you can't get the motor lifted and drop the pan, can you get the trans moved back to give you some room to work?
Best plan of attack I've decided so far is to grab an engine support from the top hook it up and then drop the k member down as far as I can and that should give me the space to lower the pan and get it out of there 😞

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I assume you didn't have the pan off? He was just checking the pan bolt tightness..???

I see a drop of oil on the filter, is that oil from the leak?
yes that is from the leak so my buddy who told me he did h/c/I swaps on these cars before said the pan would have to be dropped down in order to get the pickup tube unbolted so the oil pump can come off but I seen a couple write ups done where they did not drop the oil pan down so that was really annoying to see
he also said the gasket would be fine to reuse so it was never pulled off just lowered down then re torqued down after reinstallation of the oil pump and pickup tube
Old 09-28-2020, 02:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

This kinda kicked me right in the nuts after getting this motor all together but that's gonna have to be the route it seems

Best plan of attack I've decided so far is to grab an engine support from the top hook it up and then drop the k member down as far as I can and that should give me the space to lower the pan and get it out of there 😞

yes that is from the leak so my buddy who told me he did h/c/I swaps on these cars before said the pan would have to be dropped down in order to get the pickup tube unbolted so the oil pump can come off but I seen a couple write ups done where they did not drop the oil pan down so that was really annoying to see
he also said the gasket would be fine to reuse so it was never pulled off just lowered down then re torqued down after reinstallation of the oil pump and pickup tube

I’ve seen people say they have got it as well but I don’t see how. I’ve done I don’t know how many of them... Trust me. Dropping the pan down was the correct move. I’ve reused gaskets with success in the past. These engines are getting older now and prefer to change stuff when I can
Old 09-29-2020, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

You can get the pan out with out pulling the motor or the trans. I just did one on a t56 car, drop the k-member as low as you can, you'll need to disconnect the steering shaft,pull the motor mount bolts and jack the engine up as far as you can and you can slip the pan out. I pulled the oil pump on my VVT delete without pulling the pan, it's not hard, just gotta take your time.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

This ↑↑↑. I did the exact same procedure last spring. If you go this route, make sure to keep and eye on the steering shaft as you raise the K-member back into place. May as well replace the oil pan gasket if you didn't already. Also, now would be a great time to install a crank scraper. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2020, 08:32 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Am I missing something? That looks like the bolt that goes way up into the rear cover. If so, consider the possibility that you might need to replace the rear cover.

On the gasket, I will generally replace as the price of a new gasket is cheaper than my time plus pain in the add factor to have to go back.
The following 3 users liked this post by Darth_V8r:
98Zeric (09-29-2020), 99 Black Bird T/A (10-01-2020), biketopia (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That looks like the bolt that goes way up into the rear cover. If so, consider the possibility that you might need to replace the rear cover.
I totally missed this^^^^^^^^^. The rear cover is a much easier job than doing the way-above-described repair. Likely cheaper too.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Darth_V8r;20291958]Am I missing something? That looks like the bolt that goes way up into the rear cover. If so, consider the possibility that you might need to replace the rear cover.

Same though I had, best way to fix this is removing the transmission. Then easy-peezy
G Atsma (09-29-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:35 AM

If you do end up replacing rear cover get the saccity alignment tools so you do not get RMS leak
G Atsma (10-01-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Am I missing something? That looks like the bolt that goes way up into the rear cover. If so, consider the possibility that you might need to replace the rear cover.

On the gasket, I will generally replace as the price of a new gasket is cheaper than my time plus pain in the add factor to have to go back.
Man after all the google searches i've done checking out different h/c/i builds, cylinder head information I have seen your name come up alot you have posted alot of good information in the past years I never get tired of reading good information so for starters thanks for all the good information you have put out over the years, but yeah that bolt is 1 of the 2 long bolts that go in now this maybe a dumb question but you're saying the rear cover would be leaking not the pan? or that because the thread is stripped out of the rear cover that I would have to replace it? I was figuring that because the pan was dropped than put back up there with the oem pan gasket it just did not seal right because it was not torqued down in the right sequence along with that bolt being now stripped I figure that the oil was seeping threw that corner

This whole situation has deflated my whole momentum lol I have not gone back into the garage to work on it sense I posted will probably go out there tomorrow i'm going to be really bummed out if I have to drop the transmission because of this crap sense I got ran over my right shoulder don't have the same strength it used to...wish people would stop texting and driving and I would have never been ran over smh...
Old 10-02-2020, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Man after all the google searches i've done checking out different h/c/i builds, cylinder head information I have seen your name come up alot you have posted alot of good information in the past years I never get tired of reading good information so for starters thanks for all the good information you have put out over the years, but yeah that bolt is 1 of the 2 long bolts that go in now this maybe a dumb question but you're saying the rear cover would be leaking not the pan? or that because the thread is stripped out of the rear cover that I would have to replace it? I was figuring that because the pan was dropped than put back up there with the oem pan gasket it just did not seal right because it was not torqued down in the right sequence along with that bolt being now stripped I figure that the oil was seeping threw that corner

This whole situation has deflated my whole momentum lol I have not gone back into the garage to work on it sense I posted will probably go out there tomorrow i'm going to be really bummed out if I have to drop the transmission because of this crap sense I got ran over my right shoulder don't have the same strength it used to...wish people would stop texting and driving and I would have never been ran over smh...
Unless someone else knows a better plan I'm pretty sure you will have to remove either the K- member to get the oil pan off and then have to fix the stripped hole in the rear cover on your back... assuming you don't have a lift.. or remove the transmission in order to get to the rear cover to either remove and replace or try and fix the stripped hole. Guess it depends up to you on what you feel is the easiest way and maybe more importantly best way to fix the issue. Remember the two long back bolts are torque to 106 inch pound.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

and I agree. Darth_V8r is very helpful on here.. i also notice he reply with a lot of useful information on here.. Btw I'd have your home boy that stripped it out do all the manual labor haha
Old 10-02-2020, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Zeric
and I agree. Darth_V8r is very helpful on here.. i also notice he reply with a lot of useful information on here.. Btw I'd have your home boy that stripped it out do all the manual labor haha
Yeah I do not have a lift, wish I did lol, also dude has claimed he did not strip it so I guess casper the ghost went under my car and did it
Old 10-02-2020, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Side note when I start on this tomorrow where is a safe place to put a Jack so I can raise the motor up after unbolting the motor mounts
Old 10-03-2020, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

I done exactly the same thing. Stripped that rear bolt. I then tried to tap it, etc, from the bottom, and it snugged up but still leaked. I ended up having to replace the cover. Your buddy probably does not realize he stripped it. It does not take a lot of Ugga-duggas to strip that bolt.

If you do want to try dropping the oil pan you can support the engine from the transmission. When you put the engine on a stand four of those bellhousing bolts support the weight. Usually I will split the load between the transmission and a cherry picker.

I just think after you do all that you will end up having to replace that rear cover just like I did. If you want to give it every chance of success, goop the gasket up with rtv. In my case, when I tried to tap the cover it cracked. I did not realize this until the cover came off.

Best of luck.

Btw, I do not know what I expected to read at the end of your post, but dang dude!
Old 10-03-2020, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Oh I'm going to be gooping some rtv for sure BUT I've stumbled upon this last night gonna try it out cant hurt if I end up having to replace the cover anyways and it says it makes threads that hold up to 128ftlb so it shouldn't have a problem with the 106inlbs if anyone here has not tried it I'm gonna be the test dummy on it.....I seen a video of the stuff and it seems like it should do the job

Quick Reply: Oil pan (am I screwed)**UPDATE**