Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the best performance radiator to replace stock with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What’s the best performance radiator to replace stock with?

I have a 01 z28 t56. It seems to run a little warm but cooling system is mostly new except radiator. What’s the best upgrade I can get to replace the factory one with to make sure it stays cool under all conditions. Should factory fans also be upgraded? Don’t want to have to modify anything significantly.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best radiator upgrade for 01 z28?

I have a 01 z28 t56. It seems to run a little warm but cooling system is mostly new except radiator. What’s the best upgrade I can get to replace the factory one with to make sure it stays cool under all conditions. Should factory fans also be upgraded? Don’t want to have to modify anything significantly.
Old 07-17-2024, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

LT1 Fbody Radiator and the tune adjusted to make the Fans come on earlier.
Old 07-18-2024, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I put a 2-row ebay all aluminum radiator in recently when my new engine went in, really just to hold me over until the bigger Griffin vertical mount goes into my frame rail spot to accommodate the single turbo Huron T6 kit.

This thing is ridiculous how good it cools even with my 390ci iron block. I have to do a cold start one day, go for a drive, videoing the whole time for anyone to belive it. As long as I'm moving, at all, any speed and not just stuck in stop and go traffic with the A/C on.......it will not go above 187 on the scanner. If I do get caught in traffic on a very hot day with the A/C on.....it'll go as high as 210* but no more. My temps could never do that on a hot day stuck in stop and go traffic with my LT1 or LS1 radiators and my stroker engines over the years. When stock before any mods.....well yea. I use a 180* t-stat.....the 160* t-stat would always over heat my engine because it would never get a chance to close to allow the coolant in the radiator enough sit time to cool down before opening agian. So it would just stay open and the temp needle would just move right across into the red if I let it. Put the 180* t-stat in and bam, problem solved.

Not saying 187 is so great, but this all aluminum radiator is built excellent, fits just like stock and looks nice. I did have a wierd issue with the coolant level sensor leaking. maybe they screwed up the inner diamter of the port. But a simple o-ring change on the sensor solved that issue.
Old 07-19-2024, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked your coolant mixture? wrong ratio can cause temp issues?

Quick Reply: What’s the best performance radiator to replace stock with?