Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Lid install, Didnt fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down MTI Lid install, Didnt fit

Well we were putting on a smooth bellow and the lid from MTI today, we werent real happy. The bellow needed trimmed about a 1" off, which was no big deal at all and we figured that would need done anyhow. The lid was the biggest problem, I guess no lid fits perfect but this would not line up at all, no matter what we tried. The problem was the tabs, with one side lined up great the other side was way off. We tried everything, the simplest install turned into disappointment.

I will call them Monday and most likely get a refund or maybe try another one. Just blowing some stem I guess
Old 08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I just installed a clear MTI lid a couple of weeks ago (along with tb bypass, K&N and my homemade FTRA) and it didn't fit like I thought it should either... after reading and searching I find that most people have this problem. It just doesn't fit as well as the stock lid...

but, on'ce I've had mine off an on a few times it seems to fit a lot better, the only real problem is getting the seal right when putting it on.

I felt like I was going to break the tabs off when installing it the first time... but I didn't... I just set the whole lid on and then push down with both hands on top of it while sliding it into place, if you have someone to help you have them try and push the tabs into the slots as you're pushing it into place...

I absolutely love mine, and with the other mods there's a pretty good seat of the pants difference

Old 08-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Launching!

I didnt have a problem when i installed my MTI lid...although about 1 year ago it started cracking at the tabs.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00Pontiac
I just installed a clear MTI lid a couple of weeks ago (along with tb bypass, K&N and my homemade FTRA) and it didn't fit like I thought it should either... after reading and searching I find that most people have this problem. It just doesn't fit as well as the stock lid...

but, on'ce I've had mine off an on a few times it seems to fit a lot better, the only real problem is getting the seal right when putting it on.

I felt like I was going to break the tabs off when installing it the first time... but I didn't... I just set the whole lid on and then push down with both hands on top of it while sliding it into place, if you have someone to help you have them try and push the tabs into the slots as you're pushing it into place...

I absolutely love mine, and with the other mods there's a pretty good seat of the pants difference

There was 4 of use that tried it make it fit , it just wasnt going no matter what. The tabs were just way to much, we gave up. I figured if it is off this bad they are getting it back, I will see how there customer service handles this and keep you updated.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Launching!

had my MTI lid for 3 years now and am having no cracking problems. Yet it is not exactly flush on the driver side. Also, the tabs will pop off sometimes if not on perfectly.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucian
had my MTI lid for 3 years now and am having no cracking problems. Yet it is not exactly flush on the driver side. Also, the tabs will pop off sometimes if not on perfectly.
Same here.......I dont think there is an aftermarket lid out there that fits like the stocker.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Launching!

GMHTP says that the SLP lid fits really well, but i dont think they have a clear one though. That is the first time ive seen a clear lid and it really looks cool, I would get one but this thread doesnt exactly sell it for me....
Old 08-07-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My TSP Smoked clear lid fits perfectly and has never came off.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

I installed my MTI Carbon Fiber Lid about a year ago Havent had problems with it or during installation
Old 08-08-2004, 03:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say.. but I don't care if you had 10 people "try" to install the lid. If none of you got it to work it's 99.9% installer error.

BTW.. what "bellows" are you trying to use?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my MTI lid for two years now with no problems and I'm using an Airflow Systems bellows.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:30 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Hate to say.. but I don't care if you had 10 people "try" to install the lid. If none of you got it to work it's 99.9% installer error.

The neck that holds the MAF was way too low. It was hitting the top of the plastic radiator shroud before we could even get the tabs to slide in. Even the epoxy job looked sub-par as there were pretty big gaps. It definitly would have cracked in no time with the amount of pressure from the severe angle of the MAF neck.

I've had 2 TSP lids, and they've both fit excellent. With this particular MTI, there was absolutely no way we were going to be able to install it. We should have got a picture...

The bellows that was bought was MTI's (also like LS1 Motorsports style).

And explain to me how if "even 10 people" attempted to install the lid, it would be all of the installers who were the problem, rather than just the lid?

As many lids that they've pumped out, i'm sure there are some that slip away that just aren't going to fit.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We all tried at the shop and had no luck with it, it just wasnt going to fit with out craking it.

Last edited by UMI Performance; 08-09-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by m1key99WS6
My TSP Smoked clear lid fits perfectly and has never came off.
Does the TSP lid look like the MTI clear lid? If i buy a clear lid i want it clear not with shop logos and all that stuff....
Old 08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the TSP lid is a very nice piece...it is clear just like the MTI lid, without logos. Excellent fit, and craftsmanship.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen it WAY too many times. They can and will be installed wrong.

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
And explain to me how if "even 10 people" attempted to install the lid, it would be all of the installers who were the problem, rather than just the lid?
LOL.. that's easy to explain if you were all doing it wrong! It's not uncommon.

Out of the dozen or so lids that I have sold, I've had to either help install or provide phone install advise to half of them. It's bad enough that I install them for people that are local!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:30 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen it WAY too many times. They can and will be installed wrong.

LOL.. that's easy to explain if you were all doing it wrong! It's not uncommon.

Out of the dozen or so lids that I have sold, I've had to either help install or provide phone install advise to half of them. It's bad enough that I install them for people that are local!
I hardly doubt my installation abilities. I've had my lid(s) off several times, as well as others. This is the only one I've had a problem with.

Nonetheless, I took your comment personally and I shouldn't have - we're only on the internet. Trust me though, the lid will not fit.

Originally Posted by jdp244
Does the TSP lid look like the MTI clear lid? If i buy a clear lid i want it clear not with shop logos and all that stuff....
The TSP lid is a different design than the MTI lid. The MTI lid is more boxy in the rear (like the SLP), whereas the TSP is more smooth in the rear (like the LS1 Motorsports). I guess you're asking about logo's, so in that case, TSP sends you a big sticker to throw on it if you so desire. My sticker is just laying in a pile of papers.