Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything to DISLIKE about GMMG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything to DISLIKE about GMMG?

Besides the price, is there anyone out there that has anything bad to say about the GMMG exhaust system? Was it too loud for everyday driving, or talking on your cell phone? Rasp, Drone, anything?

What about those of you that have LT headers and ORY, or cats and LT's....too loud? OK for daily driving?

The reason I'm asking is everyone has such good things to say about the GMMG, that I can't help but have that system on the top of my list. But I don't know anyone around the Denver area that has one so I can listen to it in person, and ls1sound.com is only good at hearing tone but not volume levels.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Well, I have it and I live in Kansas. I absolutely love it. It is only slightly annoying at highway speed, like on interstate at 75 mph. I heard it has drone at 2000-2500 rpm's but just turn up the radio loud enough and it is fine. You will ignore it after a while. Other than that, I love the sound. Just revving it makes me smile. You can't go wrong with GMMG. I have a 99 Firehawk by the way so they should sound the same. It is loud, but not an obnoxious loud. The way people described it was the muscle car of the 60s and they are right. Go to the sponsor's section and search for the GMMG group purchase and read what a lot of people said. Some people don't like GMMG and prefer the loudmouth or something. But you won't have rasp with GMMG unless you alter the cats and stuff like that. IMO, stock cats with GMMG is good enough and mean enough for me. Headers I heard can make this sound like the best exhaust ever. Just my .02.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I saw the GP for GMMG, but it was going on right as I bought the car. I wasn't ready to start changing parts and stuff at that point, nor did I have permission....if you know what I mean.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

It is a deep, ballsy sound all the way to the redline. It's probably the second or third loudest cat back (loudmouth, w/o Borla being louder). With LT's and Cats the sound is unbeatable, I would take it over most true dual systems. The only exhaust I have heard that was better was true duals with 10 series flowmasters. IMO, its a great mod for the money, even though the price is a bit up there. Its worth it.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only down point, its not true duals.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
It is a deep, ballsy sound all the way to the redline..... With LT's and Cats the sound is unbeatable, I would take it over most true dual systems..... Its worth it.
I couldn't agree more, I love mine. Alot of guys talk about it being loud, at idle I could barely tell the difference between the stock manifolds w/cats and my QTP's w/cats. Now once you get above 3-4k rpms it's a whole different story. I also have zero rasp and zero drone at any rpm. With an ORY it might be a whole different story, I've never personally heard it.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

The only negative I can think of is the fact that the entire rear section is welded, so it's difficult (if not impossible) to "fine tune" the tailpipes into perfect alignment...it's a minor issue, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else I dislike about this system. It's a definite must-buy!
Old 08-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

16nrollininaws6, you stated that it's the second or third loudest system out there. So is there anyone who has thought the GMMG to be too loud????? And let me be a little more specific. When I'm talking about noice, I'm mostly concerned with cabin/internal noise.

I'm sorry to post about the gmmg, as I'm sure a million people have done so in the past. I'm just curious if there is anyone out there that has NOT liked the gmmg. So far it doesn't sound like gmmg has any enemies.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Launching!

I dont think its too lound my buddy has it on his and it is NICEsounding
Old 08-21-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

I have a harder time getting people to play with on the street. The SS has a bark to go with its bite now. I will be installing QTP longtubes when they get here with the cats. I will try and post some clips of it.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Launching!

I agree with the reply earlier about the tips. They are hard to align when the car is in the air but when it is flat, they will still look a little uneven but you won't be able to notice. That would be my only complaint about the exhaust system. But the oval tips are very nice looking though.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who in here has had both true duals and gmmg exaust?...Which one did you like better?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1BAD-SS, you're going to love that set-up, trust me
Old 08-22-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

GMMG is as close to perfect as you can get. The only thing I can find even close to negative is the cell phone test. If I'm on the gas I can't really hear the person on the phone. But I shouldn't be on the gas and talking at the same time anyways. BTW I have GMMG hooked up to Kook's with cats. I wouldn't even ditch this set up for true duals. It's the best out there IMO.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by monyhunter
16nrollininaws6, you stated that it's the second or third loudest system out there. So is there anyone who has thought the GMMG to be too loud????? And let me be a little more specific. When I'm talking about noice, I'm mostly concerned with cabin/internal noise.

I'm sorry to post about the gmmg, as I'm sure a million people have done so in the past. I'm just curious if there is anyone out there that has NOT liked the gmmg. So far it doesn't sound like gmmg has any enemies.
You enjoy the noise. You wanna romp the gas and make the noise, lol. I have said it in other GMMG posts, its sexy enough to where you dont listen to your radio. With a stock set-up its not too loud at all, I'd say its just right. Loud enough to where people are hearin you comin, but quiet enough to hear the radio (if its on)/sneak home and not wake the neighbors. With LT's its loud, I mean they are LT's. But you didnt ask about LT's. Hope this helps
Old 08-23-2004, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has it and I thought it was too quiet. Don't care for the appearance or price either.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Lightbulb

Ya' know, every time I read one of these threads, and it's pretty often between the three major LS1 boards, it's always the same thing..."Except for the price..." What price??? You PAY for quality and performance. That's what it takes to OWN a high powered performance car. Please take a moment and review the facts as shown below. These prices were all taken from SPONSORS of these boards, so they are legit. I believe as an owner of a GMMG chambered exhaust mated to a 2002 Firehawk Trans Am that it is the best bang for the buck, best looking, and most importantly of all BEST SOUNDING! system available for the LS1 engine. Really. If you missed out on the latest GP, which ran forever, you gave up $100 in savings. Even at full price, the GMMG is competitively priced and you will NOT see loads of complaints about it like many other well known brands. Check it out:

GMMG Exhaust $700
Oval Tips $150
Price INCLUDES Shipping
FOR THIS SEXY BEAST

Now lets compare...
Corsa with premium tips $789.99 + shipping
(And we all know about Corsa's internal self-destruction problems...)

B&B Triflow with premium tips $699.99 + shipping

Bassani Quiet Thunder $699.99 + shipping

Borla Adjustable $749.99 + shipping

SLP Quad Tip Center Mount Exhaust (requiring a special facia to be added to the rear of your car to make it fit which must then be painted at an additional cost) $749.00 + shipping
Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like Dawg One said. Why complain about price? I've said all along you pay for what you get, you get what you pay for. Everyone else on here admits to that truth as well.

Even with my headers on it I've never thought it was too loud. Not even once. Now parents and neighbors..........that's a different story. Hell not even parents, my dad loves it, my mom tollerates it.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

How would a trex, long tubes, no cats, along with more mods sound on the gmmg....how much rasp would i have?...obviously not near as much as my freinds open borla...lol
Old 08-23-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Ya' know, every time I read one of these threads, and it's pretty often between the three major LS1 boards, it's always the same thing..."Except for the price..." What price??? You PAY for quality and performance. That's what it takes to OWN a high powered performance car. Please take a moment and review the facts as shown below. These prices were all taken from SPONSORS of these boards, so they are legit. I believe as an owner of a GMMG chambered exhaust mated to a 2002 Firehawk Trans Am that it is the best bang for the buck, best looking, and most importantly of all BEST SOUNDING! system available for the LS1 engine. Really. If you missed out on the latest GP, which ran forever, you gave up $100 in savings. Even at full price, the GMMG is competitively priced and you will NOT see loads of complaints about it like many other well known brands. Check it out:

GMMG Exhaust $700
Oval Tips $150
Price INCLUDES Shipping
FOR THIS SEXY BEAST

Now lets compare...
Corsa with premium tips $789.99 + shipping
(And we all know about Corsa's internal self-destruction problems...)

B&B Triflow with premium tips $699.99 + shipping

Bassani Quiet Thunder $699.99 + shipping

Borla Adjustable $749.99 + shipping

SLP Quad Tip Center Mount Exhaust (requiring a special facia to be added to the rear of your car to make it fit which must then be painted at an additional cost) $749.00 + shipping

This sounded very familiar to a Visa commercial. All Dawg One had to add was, "Sound of GMMG exhaust...Priceless"