Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust restrictions ... please comment

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Exhaust restrictions ... please comment

Scenario:

I'm changing from RT highflow cat sections to Mufflex Offoad cat bypass pipes. There are three major restrictions to my current cat sections:

1. the cats themselves

2. the cat 2 1/4" inlets (Y-pipe is 2 1/2") ... flowing into 3" Borla intermediate pipe from the 2 1/2" cat outlet. The cat inlets are smaller than the outlets.

3. passenger-side cat was replaced a few months ago and needed an elbow fabricated which was 2 1/2 pipe, however, it was bent/stretched and now is only 2" in diamater not madrel bent ... leaving the left and right engine banks unbalanced from a back-pressure stand-point

Two questions:

1. Is it worth paying $240.00 for Mufflex offroad pipes to do this.
2. How much RWHP/RWTQ do you think the change will net me ... seeing as there are three major restrictions in my current cats/pipe sections?

LT's and larger Y-pipe are not an option for me right now ... saving for a stall converter.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Default no-one????

... shucks

Old 08-31-2004, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, I wouldn't waste any more money on your current exhaust. I do believe you will eventually do it right with LT's...I would just fix it all at that point. As for the cats, they may not be the biggest but RT makes good cats I trust they aren't a huge restriction anyway.

Saving your money for a converter at this point will be a VERY good use of money. Converter, shift kit, and transmission cooler. Really a nice kick in the ***.

What do you have in mind to that end?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cats arnt "a lot" of hp, so if thats what your doing it for then NO, and plus you get the rasp and all the other stuff, but if you WANT the extra maybe 5-6 hp, then why not, it just all depends on you. Good luck
Old 08-31-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Check out speed inc. Top of exhaust page, off-road pipes manufactured by us it says. Also they include 02 sims for 159.99 hell of a deal compared to mufflex at 239.00 with out simms. If you have stock manifolds I would get these and splice a sweet thunder chambered pipe in the I-pipe and leave out of that and go over the axle then split in to two out the back or get a slp loud mouth and splice this in place of there resonator.
Now do you have a complete Borla cat back because I noticed you said you had a borla I-pipe. Borla sounds great without cats because if you don't like the rasp you can adjust the sound with the plates. Wish I still had the clips of both of these set ups they sound great and the clip with the borla had no rasp at all because he used one of the plates. Sweet thunder in the I-pipe didn't seem to be raspy either
Old 09-01-2004, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Check out speed inc. Top of exhaust page, off-road pipes manufactured by us it says. Also they include 02 sims for 159.99 hell of a deal compared to mufflex at 239.00 with out simms.
I see that but it's listed under the SLP headers, I wonder if those are true alternatives to the Mufflex off road cat replacement pipes to be used on a stock manifold car or are they strictly for use with the SLPs long tubes only?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
IMO, I wouldn't waste any more money on your current exhaust. I do believe you will eventually do it right with LT's...I would just fix it all at that point. As for the cats, they may not be the biggest but RT makes good cats I trust they aren't a huge restriction anyway.

Saving your money for a converter at this point will be a VERY good use of money. Converter, shift kit, and transmission cooler. Really a nice kick in the ***.

What do you have in mind to that end?
I am going to agree with him, I would just save the money for the better torque converter and then for LT's. LT's are really cheap now adays, so I would just wait a little while. IMO, you will not gain a whole lot with those retrictions. If you were running LT's, a stroked engine with a big cam and a good set of heads, you might be losing some, but not with your current set-up.

-Todd
Old 09-01-2004, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Default Funny ...

Funny how my dyno-tuner would tell me these are the reasons for my shitty numbers. Maybe this be because he's not a good tuner and it was an easy-out to get me out of his shop because he knew I was disappointed with the numbers up top.

I HAVE TO get the Mufflex offroad pipes, now. Just to see the difference they make. I'll post here once I've installed them to let everybody know. Thanks for your comments.

Anyone else care to provide your knowledge here on this subject? It looks like this isn't going to net me much power ...
Old 09-01-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

your more than likely just gonna notice a change in sound(rasp) then in power. if anything not having long tubes is holding your power back. you also need an ls6 intake. im sure your tuner knows a lot but its probably money best spent elsewhere. what are your reasons for getting the cat bypass pipes? your in fl so you dont need to pass emmissions or swap cats back on, you can get a hole offroad ypipe for alot cheaper than that. imo.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-01-2004, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading other's posts, I realize somethig I overlooked. Are you ready for the rasp of a catless exhaust through the borla?