Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting Factory MAF - lose the divider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004 | 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Porting Factory MAF - lose the divider?

I am having my factory MAF ends powdercoated. I am going to be using a clear lid so I wanted the inside to look as good as the outside. First thing I noticed is I hate the divider in the MAF ends. Do they serve a purpose? Do they give the MAF a more acurate reading? I doubt it because none of the aftermarket ends have them but I thought they have to be there for a reason.

Well anyone that has seen the MAF ends off the car knows that the inside diameter is much, much smaller than the outside diameter. I'd say a good ten mm or so. I think I am going to cut out the dividers and grind down the inside to the outside diameter. This would cut out the O-ring and all. My question is will it still seal well? I could use gasketmaker couldn't I?

What is the size of the factory lid, outside diameter of the MAF ends, inside diameter of the MAF ends, the MAF itself, the factory tb and the LS6 intake opening? Thanks guys.

When you buy 85mm lids and MAF's, how do they attach to each other? Can you have an 85mm lid with a stock MAF end? How will it fit?

btw: I know some of you are thinking I'm dumb for just not buying aftermarket stuff but I'm having this powdercoated along with my TB and valve covers so I want it to match. Plus I dont have the extra money and don't mind the time.
Old 09-01-2004 | 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, anyone know how much power one would gain switching over to 85mm everything on a cammed car?

Can I buy a 85mm MAF that won't screw with the computer? I don't want anything recalibrated. I have seen the ZO6 MAF's for sale but they are recalibrated. How is that? They are the same engine. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2004 | 02:36 AM
Banned

Stock MAF is good to over 450 rwhp probaly closer to 500rwhp. Please don't mess with it ..

I did... but therefore I've learned the hard way. Using a stock maf now
Old 09-01-2004 | 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont jack with it! I ported my MAF ends, ONLY because I got a dyno tune the next day.
Old 09-02-2004 | 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Dont **** With It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!
Old 09-02-2004 | 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like its been said - Unless you plan on a custom tune, dont screw with the MAF.
Old 09-02-2004 | 02:03 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by racrx
Dont **** With It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!
you can mess up a lot of **** doing it...i went back to stock after porting mine b/c of problems

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2004 | 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Wink dont do it

I ported my stock MAF also cut the center divider out while i thought i was doing some good it ran great when i went to the track it ran a 13.01 spinning the tires through 2nd.once the traction problem was solved AKA "borrowed slicks" i was amazed that i still ran in the 13's went back to the pits put my SLP MAF back in the car after all it was an experiment and ran a 12.46 enough said.
Old 09-02-2004 | 10:50 PM
Banned

So the SLP maf didnt cause you any problems ?

CMC
Old 09-04-2004 | 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had GMAF for a year or so, with some idle and decelerating surges issues but nothing major, I lived with it. After more research I decided to put the stock one back on. The only thing is I descreened it because I shoot dry. Every issue went back to normal.