Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker catback people come in please..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooker catback people come in please..

I installed my hooker cat-back today and was wondering if it is installed correctly? My tips stick out about 2 or 3 inches past my bumper, it looks hideous. Is this the way it goes, or do I need to pull the I-pipe tighter to the y-pipe? My hooker connected about 1 or 2 inches farther back on the y-pipe than the stock exhaust did. Is this right? If not, how can I move the whole assembly back, the muffler and over axle pipe look like they are in correctly, in fact, if I move the axle pipe back it looks like it will rub the heat shield. The dent in the axle pipe is exactly over the panhard rod.

Also, is there a trick to getting the tips tight, I screwed the hell out of them and they still wobble.

thanx-William

Last edited by wbw2; 09-05-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wbw2
I installed my hooker cat-back today and was wondering if it is installed correctly? My tips stick out about 2 or 3 inches past my bumper, it looks hideous. Is this the way it goes, or do I need to pull the I-pipe tighter to the y-pipe? My hooker connected about 1 or 2 inches farther back on the y-pipe than the stock exhaust did. Is this right? If not, how can I move the whole assembly back, the muffler and over axle pipe look like they are in correctly, in fact, if I move the axle pipe back it looks like it will rub the heat shield. The dent in the axle pipe is exactly over the panhard rod.

Also, is there a trick to getting the tips tight, I screwed the hell out of them and they still wobble.

thanx-William
Hmm, I do not have the hooker on my LS1, but I did have it on my LT1, and they are basically the same. I did not install them myself, I went to Mufflex. They had to weld the tips on and screw and they cut a little off the tips (the part with only one pipe, not two) a little. It looked perfect! I can send you a pic of what it looked like if you like. It is not a good pic, or a happy one, it is a pic of my car after the lady hit my old LT1 to make it go R.I.P but it has the tips.

FYI, they sat in the same place as the old tips.

-Todd
Old 09-06-2004, 12:07 AM
10 Second Club

The tips on mine are adjustable with a screw to tighten them. They should be able to slide in or out.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Same prob. on the wifes car, just have the tail pipes cut 1 1/2" off the end and they will look perfect, The tips wont tighten good as it seems they should but we haven't lost one yet.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do/did not have that problem with mine? Who's y-pipe are you using? Mine's SLP.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

The length on mine was OK, however, I ended up tack welding the tips in place. I could not get them tight enough to stay in place.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Launching!

I'm still using the stock y for now, I have a MAC ORY to go on next.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Launching!

ok, so I got up under the car again today and reversed the clamp that holds the passenger side of the muffler up, and I got the I pipe fully seated on the y-pipe and it still sticks out way too far. One side more than the other too I think. I see a trip the exhaust shop in my forseeable future. Take an inch and a half off the passenger side pipe, maybe 2 or 1 3/4 off the drivers side and it will look sweet.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah just take some material off of them and safe yourself a headache. I had a similar problem once and I placed a block of wood on the tip and banged it back with a hammer. It slid back just enough to even up and no the tips didn't get damaged when I wacked the block of wood with the hammer