Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmmg exhaust considered a street legal cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default gmmg exhaust considered a street legal cat back?

Just popped in my head this morning that I had this exhaust for some time now and it has its moments when it can be loud. Since this exhaust is on their gmmg cars that are sold by dealers, it must have been certified. Anyone know?
Old 11-06-2004, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in VA, any exhaust other then stock is considered "illegal" I guess you would say, which you get a ticket for noise violation, but I don't know about NC. I've been riding around with my GMMG with LT's and ORY for about 4 months and have not had a problem yet. Mine is pretty loud, but I love the sound of it
Old 11-06-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

God bless Oklahoma.

I drove around for quite a while with nothing coming off of the Y pipe with no problems.

(I had to remove the gas tank, thats why it was all off, not because I'm a hillbilly.)
Old 11-06-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got my GMMG hooked up to Kook's LT with cats and rarely ever get any grief from cops about it. The only thing that I run into is at WOT it's above the decible level for noise poullution.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

As far as I am aware of there are three things two worry about:
1) Don't mess with the catalytic converters.
2) Make sure the exhaust exits past the passenger compartment.
3) Don't make it too loud, and if you do only drive it during the hours a day that it is accaptable during.
Other than that nobody should care, including the inspection station.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
in VA, any exhaust other then stock is considered "illegal" I guess you would say, which you get a ticket for noise violation, but I don't know about NC. I've been riding around with my GMMG with LT's and ORY for about 4 months and have not had a problem yet. Mine is pretty loud, but I love the sound of it
My chevelle has duals, and I have never been pulled over for noise. I guess if your just cruising and not messin around they leave you alone.

BTW are you ever in Fredericksburg? I would love to hear your set-up.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Most ANY exhaust that makes changes past trhe cats is legal for emissions purposes. That said, however, states and municipalities can have their own noise ordinances. You are lgal from a federal emissions standpoint (including CA if there is a CARB number), but noise is another deal.

It has been my experience that if you aren't agressive in your driving, most cops won't pay any attention to you.

HOWEVER, if you act like a JERK on the street, they WILL find multiple violations to hang on you including noise.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess my question is if you bought a 435 phase 2 Berger SS and the exhaust noise was in question by the police, would you HAVE to replace it since the car came with it?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
would you HAVE to replace it since the car came with it?
I am sure that car did not come with GMMG and the 400+ CI block from the factory