Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is Better?
Ram Air Hood
12.20%
Cold Air Induction Kit
56.10%
Both together
21.95%
What is induction?
9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

SSRA or Induction Kit(FIPK)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSRA or Induction Kit(FIPK)?

Which is better

Ram Air hood or induction kit(front of radiator)?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ram air hood is not going to gain you any HP. You need to be traveling at some seriously high speeds to use the "ram air" - it does however give you some colder air. If you use the "Ultra-Z" hood with an open element, you might see some "ram-air" gains.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:47 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I got the SSRA and love it, a little overpriced for a few pieces of plastic, but it works great, just be careful parking it and going down curbs, I have ripped mine off twice now. The SS ram air hood is for appearance only, I dont know about the Ultra Z hood I guess it will give you a little gain but not alot.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the ftra. it is proven to be better, and is cheaper. they are on sale for $155 at Fast Toys right now.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suppose you have a camaro so i wouldn't go with ram air hood since they aren't really functional on camaro's unless you get the ultra z..
Old 02-07-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=9camaross8]The SS ram air hood is for appearance only,[QUOTE]

It does bring air around to the front of the lid - more than a Z28, but like I said, probably more cold air than ram air.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE='02 SLP#686][QUOTE=9camaross8]The SS ram air hood is for appearance only,

It does bring air around to the front of the lid - more than a Z28, but like I said, probably more cold air than ram air.
With some intake modifications you could make the route more direct. It should be plenty sufficient for "ram" air effect.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

I dont mean to hi-jack your post but has anyone modified the ssra in a way that it does not block off the radiator as much. My car ran 10-20' warmer with it. I did the FRA and i am kicking myself that i did....warm air into engine not good. i have come up with a few ideas putting to use those 2 giant holes that we have in our noses (camaro's) but it require a hell of alot of cutting to do it....but seems to be the most direct and able to bring in the same amount of air as say the ssra with out having a scoop under the car that i dont think looks all that great. Just shootin out some ideas.

Paul
Old 02-08-2005, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The SSRA fits awesome and my car ran at 194° before and after, checked with a Predator. Plus it nearly looks like a factory piece under there...

Also people, if you manage to hit a curb with it, then your driving skills suck. That's my $.02.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
Also people, if you manage to hit a curb with it, then your driving skills suck. That's my $.02.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PG45
I dont mean to hi-jack your post but has anyone modified the ssra in a way that it does not block off the radiator as much. My car ran 10-20' warmer with it. I did the FRA and i am kicking myself that i did....warm air into engine not good. i have come up with a few ideas putting to use those 2 giant holes that we have in our noses (camaro's) but it require a hell of alot of cutting to do it....but seems to be the most direct and able to bring in the same amount of air as say the ssra with out having a scoop under the car that i dont think looks all that great. Just shootin out some ideas.

Paul
The SSRA does not block the radiator as much as the FTRA. I run the upper half FTRA with the SSRA extension. It's welded aluminum, so it's pretty sturdy for those inclined to hit curbs. It's also much easier to install than the FTRA and noticed the car would cool faster because it does not sit directly on the radiator like the FTRA.

The FRA just allows all of that nice warm heat from the radiator to travel upward into your engine and increase the intake temp. The dual snorkel intake you mention has been done before and IMO looks cheesy with giant heater or AC metal ducting under the hood. Also keep in mind the area directly under the nose by the air dam is high pressure and will force more air into the engine compared to the front grille area. I personally like the look the SSRA which is reminiscent of the Olds 442 dual snorkels from the 60's muscle car.

I would save your time on something better spent and just get the SSRA, it drops right in. My 02.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

I can tell you the Ultra Z Hood does nothing. For example, here's a test I did at the drag strip. I made two passes with the stock lower air box cut for FRA. Then I swapped on a WS6 lower air box uncut and made four passes. The incoming air came from the opening in the Ultra Z hood. Then I put the stock lower air box back on and made two more passes. The results? The WS6 lower air box and Ultra Z set up resulted in .03~.04 faster sixty-foot times but .05~.15 slower ET's and trap speeds were down about 1.5 mph.
My theory is that the FRA works better than the Ultra Z ram air at moving speeds. But while sitting at the starting line the Ultra Z ram air works a little better the first sixty feet or so because it isn't breathing in warm air from the engine. My guess is that a SSRA kit would give you the best of both worlds. I am going to buy one and test my theory. I will let you know how it goes. Until then, I'll keep using my FRA set up.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Get the SSRA and make the lower piece removable with some screws for the track. I also added about 6 to 8 inch extension made out of sheet metal to really suck air.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

what is induction...

get the SSRA, highly praised piece... and eliminates heak soak if you believe in that contraversal issue
Old 08-06-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting the SSRA2.

Plastic, doesn't block the radiator as much as FTRA, and you don't have to worry about speed bumps.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

isnt the ssra2 the same thing as the ssra, just made of plastic insteal of sheet metal? if so, why wouldn't you have to worry about scraping it on curbs....unless its positioned differently or something.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ripper415
isnt the ssra2 the same thing as the ssra, just made of plastic insteal of sheet metal? if so, why wouldn't you have to worry about scraping it on curbs....unless its positioned differently or something.
It's the top half of SSRA (so it's much cheaper). The SSRA has always been plastic, the FTRA is stainless steal.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

where can you pick up a ssra?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

since the ssra2 is only the first half of the ssra, does it make less hp? also where can i get the ssra2? ive only seen the ssra on websites. hey sponsors, feel free to reply with sales on the ssra2 if you have it
Old 08-12-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

I have the FTA style but it was made by a different company, then I have the austin scoop extension.
1. I painted it black and it blends in withe the airdam, most people don't even see it from the front.
2. It's all sheet metal, and does not even get warm, at all. Always feels like cold metal even when idling for 30min.
3. My car ran the same temp beore and after install.
4. Picked up 2mph at track.
When I put this on I setup a 70MPH leaf blower aimed directly at the airdam about 10 feet infront of the car. first I tried the free mod and turned on the blower and about 15-20% of the air from the blower was coming up to where the filter would be.
Then I used the FTRA "style" and about 45% was coming through.
Then the whole SSRA "style" and about 90-95% was coming up to the filter area.

About the SS hood. My friend has an SS with the lid sealed to the hood and you can put a receipt or small paper on the hood infront of the scoop openeing and when you rev it, it sucks it up onto the grill. So it is functional. Yes the air is traveling through the warm hood and all, but it's cooler than the air under the hood. It may not have much of a ramming affect, but cooler air yes.