Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y Pipe A Banging

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y Pipe A Banging

Installed Kook's headers and catted y-pipe and can't stop the y-pipe from banging. I have tryed bending the y-pipe down. It helped. I bought the mufflex part didn't work. jammed a peice of wood in there it fell out. I read about a peice of raditor hose but the car is too nice for that. Any help?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

yeah try that...

mine bangs because im waiting for my band clamps... ... hehe leaks a little
Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont want to go the rubber hose route you can put in poly motor mounts. This will keep it from twisting and stop the banging. I went a simple route and just screwed a piece of rubber to the floorboard. Has worked great for almost a year.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

I bought the poly mounts and this http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&sid=528#P3780
Old 02-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Poly mounts I have read that it makes more noise. I dont care for the extra noise the PRO 5.0 and headers make. The rubber to the floorboard could work. But there has to be somthing better. $1200 buck headers and y-pipe I expected better.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow ride
Poly mounts I have read that it makes more noise. I dont care for the extra noise the PRO 5.0 and headers make. The rubber to the floorboard could work. But there has to be somthing better. $1200 buck headers and y-pipe I expected better.
Ya there is something better. Its called custom exhaust. And the vibes I have now with poly mounts vs stock rubber mounts is a better trade off than getting false knock retard. And I wouldnt trade my 5.0 shifter for any other. I had the stock hurst and a B&M. Just my .02
Old 02-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Ya there is something better. Its called custom exhaust. And the vibes I have now with poly mounts vs stock rubber mounts is a better trade off than getting false knock retard. And I wouldnt trade my 5.0 shifter for any other. I had the stock hurst and a B&M. Just my .02
Better than false knock retard. I dont get that according to my Diablo. I am supprised. Custom exhaust? maybe but I have alot in to what I have. And I do like the Pro 5.0 just not the extra noise. What didnt you like about the B&M
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 AM
9 Second Club

I am saying that is what I used to cure my Y pipe bang. And anyone with a custom true duals like Lane's will tell you that they have no banging issues. But ya I see your point you pay alot of cash for what you have and still have the same issues. Thats why I bought the pacesetters and didnt worry about it because the y pipe banging has been around so long everyone knows about it and every person has there own way to fix it. I didnt like the B&M because it was sloppy and not notchy. Some people dont like the notchy, I for one do
Old 02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Launching!

I am saying that is what I used to cure my Y pipe bang. And anyone with a custom true duals like Lane's will tell you that they have no banging issues. But ya I see your point you pay alot of cash for what you have and still have the same issues. Thats why I bought the pacesetters and didnt worry about it because the y pipe banging has been around so long everyone knows about it and every person has there own way to fix it. I didnt like the B&M because it was sloppy and not notchy. Some people dont like the notchy, I for one do
I guess that I did not know about the y-pipe banging issue. I have only had this car six months. Plus I am a fifty year old NEWB. thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mufflex bump-stop didnt work?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
That fixed it. I had a little banging left and that took care of it. I poly mounts took car of the drivers side header flex against the K member.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
It doesn't work on Kooks headers. It was made for Hookers that's what Mufflex told me.