Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you reach MM bolts w/lt headers? poly mount install looks near impossible

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you reach MM bolts w/lt headers? poly mount install looks near impossible

Any tips or tricks to take the drivers side MM bolts off and what about the heat shield bolts? This mod has me stumped and I am a pretty good problem solver when it comes to things like this.

I feel like just taking the headers off and dealing with it that way

I wish I had done this when my headers were off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just like I should have changed my injectors when my intake was off.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Header install on my car, it looks like there is not enough room to do it without dropping the header. I wish I had more room, but I'm not getting rid of the LT's just for that.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

i am lifting my motor to drop the oil pan and this is what ive found..

I had stock exhaust manifolds, but they were pushed out of the way (pulled heads) and i couldnt get to them. once i got the manifolds out of the way, it was a breeze. my solution, your not going to be able to get to them without pulling the headers.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is what i put in another thread;
I just did mine on Sat.I did it by myself.You dont need to drop the headers.You do need to pull the altenator,to get the long bolt all the way out.I dont know how most people do it,but i didnt take the bracket off the frame.With the altenator out of the way you can access everything pretty good.It took me about 2 hours taking breaks to remove and install the poly on the drivers.On the pass. side i unbolted the a/c compressor and pulled it forward leaving the lines hooked up,then i took off the bracket its attached to.You dont need to drop the starter or the header.With the a/c out of the way you have pretty good access.It took me about 2 hours on this side as well,taking my time.
Just to let you know i took out the rear/top a/c bolt out from the top of the car.I then unplugged the wire going to the a/c compressor from the bottom and fished it to the top between the heater hoses to get it out of the way.The rest of the a/c bolts i took out from the bottom.On the 4 motormount,i believe 13mm bolts holding the mount to the block i used a breaker bar to break loose,then used a long socket and turned them out by hand.
I did do 1 complete side at a time.One other thing,once the you get the mount ready to come out,you can jack the motor high enough to get it out.When i got the motor as high as it would go,I pulled the mount up and turned it towards me and slid it out towards the front.
Biggest thing i can suggest is to take your time and dont get frustrated.Believe me i wanted to throw wrenches a few times!
Sorry for the long reply!Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah you dont have to remove the headers, its more of a pain but you dont have to. remove the alternator and you can reach everything. i highly suggest a 15mm gear wrench, will save you tons of time
Old 02-11-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the process of doing a H/C swap right now, so with the motor stripped down it would be a good time to change my MM. What mounts are you guys going with, how much, and where? Thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

I plan on getting heads in the future, so i will just wait until that time.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

The heat shield was not much of a problem with a 1/4 ratchet for me. It will not go back on quite right if you bolt the motor mount back together. I only got the front nut back on the cover.However the top back MM bolt was the worst part of the whole deal. If you have big fingers/hands it might be impossible.

It might take you the same amount of time if you take the headers off, sure would be easier, but I got by. I did have to take the frame bracket off, top back bolt sucks on that to.