Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have GMMG, thinking of Corsa.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have GMMG, thinking of Corsa.....

Right now I have QTP LT's, Mufflex ORY, GMMG, I love the way it sounds, but the interior drone is just killing me, I want to tone it down some inside the car. I was thinking of running the Corsa and wanted people's opinion on it, is the interior drone bad inside? What about the mufflers falling apart? Have they fixed the problem with them? I will buying one used because I don't have the money for a new Corsa (bought the GMMG used also).

Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Did you wanna run cats on the car? That would help. I've heard ORY and corsa sounds pretty damn good, but I dunno about drone.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

nah, leaving the cats off...
Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the corsa will have more drone as the case will create more resonance than the chambered tubes
Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why are some of you guys so against running cats? A good pair of highflow cats will flow almost as well as the offroad pipes, but will cut down the drone considerably and sound a LOT better in tone (deeper and much more refined). I have no doubt the Corsa muffler would help with the drone on your set-up, but it will sound like raspy-A$$ because of your ORY (even more raspy than the GMMG). The Corsa also has a much higher-pitch than the GMMG as well...

My honest opinion is to just keep what you have and have some Carsound highflow cats welded into the Y if possible or at least get a highflow catted Y somewhere else rather than sell such a great system for another expensive one. FYI, I have Kooks LT's, highflow cats, & the GMMG and although very loud outside the car, the drone is very, very minimal inside the car...In fact, I wouldn't mind if it was a little louder...

Mike
Old 02-21-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

corsa has a far deeper tone then gmmg. the only drawback to corsa is that its quiet. but with LTs and an ORY it will be pleanty loud. being the muffler is in the stock loctation there wont be much drone inside the car. i have corsa and my plan is to get qtps with an ory. dont get me wrong the GMMG sounds good, but with an ORY the corsa muffler system has a far deeper tone then GMMG
Old 02-21-2005, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

I have a set of RT cats I bought used and was thinking about running them, but I've heard that you will be down some ponies if you run cats, which is not good IMO. The chambered mufflers are in the stock location also, but I just want something with less drone inside the car, but still sound like a beast outside the car. I want more input guys!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just put some cats on. I've had both catted and ory's and I'll never go back to off-road. Cats refine the sound soooo much.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

put a borla muffler on there i read somewhere on here that it got rid of the drone and made it sound deeper.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/278885-qtp-headers-ory-gmmg-borla-xr1-sounds-great.html

he was pretty happy with the borla muffler
Old 02-21-2005, 03:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one overpriced catback to another

i agree with mike.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by elite22xl
corsa has a far deeper tone then gmmg. the only drawback to corsa is that its quiet. but with LTs and an ORY it will be pleanty loud. being the muffler is in the stock loctation there wont be much drone inside the car. i have corsa and my plan is to get qtps with an ory. dont get me wrong the GMMG sounds good, but with an ORY the corsa muffler system has a far deeper tone then GMMG
You have got to be kidding me.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just send me your GMMG and I will ship you my stock crapback....no interior drone

High-flow cats are a thought, I may end up running them in the long run as well just for sound quality unless I go with duals. You may lose a few ponies but thats a priority you have to decide on. You can always get cutouts before them if its that big of a deal, or flanged so you can swap them out for track days like certain header kits.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Why are some of you guys so against running cats? A good pair of highflow cats will flow almost as well as the offroad pipes, but will cut down the drone considerably and sound a LOT better in tone (deeper and much more refined).
My thoughts exactly. Everyone knocks cats saying it's a waste blah blah blah. I ran cats specifically on my setup so that the GMMG still had somewhat of a tone. Without cats, it's a lot of noise IMO. This is my opinion, some people like it, some don't, whatever. It's your car, do what'll make you happy

-J
Old 02-21-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to run the LT's ORY @ Corsa setup. I've also heard in person LTs ORY @ GMMG. The GMMG is deeper at idle than the Corsa, GMMG is raspier than Corsa at low rpms 2200-3000K. Both sound damn good at WOT with the GMMG being slightly louder. The great thing about the Corsa is that even with no cats I had no resonance or drone at 70mph in 6th gear or at any other rpm. It does rasp at 2400-2800 range but so will any ORY @ catback. I added Cats to my setup to quiet down on the overall volume, kill the smell of an ORY, clean up the sound. Corsa w LTs @ Cats with a cam is simply awesome! Very docile and deep but anything over 3500K and she begins to roar. As to losing power with cats here is an excerpt from a previous post of mine..........................Back when I was cam only on stock 241 heads I made 399rwhp @ 386rwtq with a Hooker ORY and open cutout. After adding a new QTP Catted Y pipe I went down to 389rwhp @ 374rwtq. These were new 3" Magnaflow Cats so the loss was the least it will ever be as cats are supposed to get more restrictive the more you run them. I imagine they are holding me back 10-15rwhp over my current numbers.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

I say just add the Borla or twister to the I pipe. Less restriction than cats and minimal Hp loss. I used a Dynomax bullet but wasn't satisfied w/ the amount of rasp reduction. I think this would be the best option for you.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Well if you dont like it, sell it!, name your price, i am serious about buying for a descent price. I dont even want the oval tips if you have those.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
one overpriced catback to another

i agree with mike.
Used stuff is never overpriced

I may end up putting on the cats, but I would hate to lose 10-15 HP over rasp, and the rasp isn't what's bothering me, it's the interior drone that I have. Ryan02SS said that even with the ORY, the Corsa has minimal interior resonance, which is what I'm looking for. I can't find the sound that I want with the ORY in anyother catback except the Corsa. I was planning on duals, but hate the gas smell in the car....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

i have H/C and had corsa lil rasp, VERY quiet inside as compared to how friggen loud it was outside, didnt drone at all for me i have LTs and ORP, i say buy the corsa as i think it looks better than the GMMG anyways and sell your GMMG to SLOWLS1 above
Old 02-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Launching!

I'm from SoCal where cat's are a must for any new car. I've got a Random Tech ORY with the high flow cats all blowing through the Corsa exhaust. It sounds really deep at idle but still very quiet. At WOT it screams and I have never experienced any kind of rasp. I stuck with the Corsa after two different Borla setups.... and I'm not switching to anything else. I love the way it sounds.