Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG and Center Mount Exhaust Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG and Center Mount Exhaust Installation

Has anyone installed the GMMG with the Center Mount Exhaust? If so, how much of a problem was it. Did you need to have special pipes bent? If I want to keep the SLP SS Exhaust in case I ever want to go back to stock, what pieces would I need to hook up the GMMG to the CME. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm with the Air Force in Germany and it is very difficult to get the bends etc over there at a reasonable price so I'd like to order everything I need at once rather than having to wait for it.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

it should just hook right up? CME mounts to just about any aftermarket exhaust minus the tips. shouldn't have to have ANY bends made whatsoever. your CME has all the special bends require and should unclamp and come off, and then leave the tips off the GMMG and slide the CME exhaust assy right onto it. good luck!

you a pilot, boom operator or what? i presume your handle denotes the airframe you fly in? i was with the 1st cav for three years.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck reusing the 90 degree bends already attached to your exhaust...they wouldn't come off of mine when I tried to attach it to my Hooker. Any good exhaust shop could do this though...it is only two extra 90 degree bends towards the center to get it to fit. I have them attached to my true duals now, but it was all custom done.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

SLP has all the parts you need to connect a CME to your GMMG. the parts are: 2 90 degree bends, CME tips, and rear valence. However, all those parts are $525 from SLP and you still have to get the valence painted. that's a lot for just tips but IMO, CME are the best tips on a camaro.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

didn't see he didn't own the CME already...my bad. i'm tired yea....CME isn't real cheap. neither is GMMG lol!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy two 90deg bends from SLP like mentioned above and head to a muffler shop. They will cut and expand the tips to work with the gmmg exit pipes.

THE STOCK BENDS DID NOT LINE UP WITH THE GMMG PIPES!!! Thats where all my problems came from like breaking the tips apart. Watch those tips so yours don't break at the weld.

Here is a pick of mine.
Attached Thumbnails GMMG and Center Mount Exhaust Installation-resize1.jpg  
Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
you a pilot, boom operator or what? i presume your handle denotes the airframe you fly in? i was with the 1st cav for three years.

I was a pilot. Spent several years in both the KC-135 and KC-10.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
Buy two 90deg bends from SLP like mentioned above and head to a muffler shop. They will cut and expand the tips to work with the gmmg exit pipes.

THE STOCK BENDS DID NOT LINE UP WITH THE GMMG PIPES!!! Thats where all my problems came from like breaking the tips apart. Watch those tips so yours don't break at the weld.

Here is a pick of mine.
Thanks for the advice. I sure don't want to break my CME.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep the tips can be broken. Happened to mine when I did the GMMG a little over 3 years ago.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:11 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kc10a
Thanks for the advice. I sure don't want to break my CME.
Honestly, that's why I went with new tips when I had my duals fabbed up. They come with extra reinforcement to keep this from happening.

See pic:

There is an extra piece of boxed aluminum welded in behind the original little brace.

Quick Reply: GMMG and Center Mount Exhaust Installation