Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with SLP Loudmouth II System

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not happy with SLP Loudmouth II System

So a few weeks ago, after waiting a month for SLP to finish production, I finally recieved and installed their new "not so loud, deeper tone" loudmouth II exhaust system. After a month of anticipation, the results were very dissapointing. It sounds terrible, at idle there really isn't much noise. If you rev the engine a bit to get some noise it sounds very... its hard to explain. Definatlly not what I was after. WOT it sounds decent, anything else is horrible. Oh yeah lets not forget about the 2grand drone in the interior that keeps you from thinking straight. I am really not happy with the system at all. Ideally I want something that has a deep mellow idle, no drone, and something that sounds wicked at WOT. If anyone has a system that fits this criteria please, please let me know. Chambered crossed my mind, Magna Flow, I don't know. F-body's that are actually worth something are scarce around me so it is hard to actually hear different systems. Online sounds clips usually don't do the car justice, so finding that perfect sound is tough. Again please hit me with all ideas possible it needs to change.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

GMMG, with out a doubt. Or corsa with Lt's no cats sounds real quiet idle, screams at wot
Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 PM
NKAWTG...N

Are you still on stock headers? Usually some long tubes will really wake up an exhaust, so you might wanna think about some decent headers before ditching the brand new exhaust you bought.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weld in a borla XR-1.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I kind of like the Loudmouth I, but that's just me... Freakin' loud and that soothing drone at 2k that helps me to forget my day's problems. Man, I play with the throttle at 2k just to make myself smile... Damn, maybe I'm sick...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Quote: Freakin' loud and that soothing drone at 2k that helps me to forget my day's problems. Man, I play with the throttle at 2k just to make myself smile... Damn, maybe I'm sick...

I would agree with you...you probably are sick, and after spending some good time with that drone you will be sick and deaf.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HyperliteSS
So a few weeks ago, after waiting a month for SLP to finish production, I finally recieved and installed their new "not so loud, deeper tone" loudmouth II exhaust system. After a month of anticipation, the results were very dissapointing. It sounds terrible, at idle there really isn't much noise. If you rev the engine a bit to get some noise it sounds very... its hard to explain. Definatlly not what I was after. WOT it sounds decent, anything else is horrible. Oh yeah lets not forget about the 2grand drone in the interior that keeps you from thinking straight. I am really not happy with the system at all. Ideally I want something that has a deep mellow idle, no drone, and something that sounds wicked at WOT. If anyone has a system that fits this criteria please, please let me know. Chambered crossed my mind, Magna Flow, I don't know. F-body's that are actually worth something are scarce around me so it is hard to actually hear different systems. Online sounds clips usually don't do the car justice, so finding that perfect sound is tough. Again please hit me with all ideas possible it needs to change.
Try Hooker or GMMG. Magnaflow sounds great too

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I kind of like the Loudmouth I, but that's just me... Freakin' loud and that soothing drone at 2k that helps me to forget my day's problems. Man, I play with the throttle at 2k just to make myself smile... Damn, maybe I'm sick...
Ehh, you are fine
Old 04-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

I would weld in a Borla muffler, or get a GMMG. You just spent about $370 with shipping.... I'd try to replace the resonater of the lm with something else instead of starting over. Everything costs so much though too much! If you have to get something different I'm sure you could sell for at least $250 in the for sale section that you could put towards the Corsa or GMMG.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HyperliteSS
F-body's that are actually worth something are scarce around me so it is hard to actually hear different systems. Online sounds clips usually don't do the car justice, so finding that perfect sound is tough.
Had the same problem myself, so instead of spending the $300+ on the LM2 I just bought the TSP Rumbler. Figuring if I didn't like the sound I wasn't out alot of cash.
What I thought was if I didn't like the sound, I'd just start looking at different mufflers (chambered, flowmaster, hooker, magnaflow, and so on) keep the I pipe, then at least I get some use of the catback, and the mufflers usually aren't as expensive as a whole new catback, as for finding the sound you like, try going to some shows that have cruise nights, (you don't list a location, but look in your local newspaper, or on the net for some shows nearby) and if you hear one you like ask the owner what he/she's running.
Good luck with your search

Last edited by 2K2WS6TA; 04-29-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

If I were you I would either weld in a Borla XR-1 or look into putting a chambered muffler into the I-pipe. There was a post on here about what muffler the GMMG uses, if you were to pick one of those up and have it welded inplace of the resonator on the LM2 I bet it would sound similar to a GMMG. Only difference would be one muffler rather than two.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

I have Corsa with long tubes/not cats. From outside the car is extremely loud and a WOT it makes your ears bleed as it goes by. Inside the car is hardly any louder than my stock slp dual/dual system. It's got a great idle, too. I would strongly recommend it.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Try a chamber muffler like sweet thunder. I have an '02 Z and put one in the I-pipe and cut the stock muffler out. It has no rasp and sounds great at WOT. I have stock manafolds and cats though.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 Hawkeye
Try a chamber muffler like sweet thunder. I have an '02 Z and put one in the I-pipe and cut the stock muffler out. It has no rasp and sounds great at WOT. I have stock manafolds and cats though.
Did you dyno before and after the install of the Sweet Thunder? I was thinking of doing this do mine but was not sure if there is a performance loss due to the 2.5" inner diameter.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

2K2WS6TA how do you like your TSP? Does it sound good/loud enough that you just kept their muffler in?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:38 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd try a muffler in place of the resonator. I have the "original" version of the Loud Mouth, and after installing LT's I ended up cutting out the resonator and replacing it with a Dynomax bullet muffler....commonly referred to as the "Dynomouth" conversion. Do a search on "Dynomouth" and see what comes up.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the LM I and after headers ORY it sounded like ***. I welded a Dynomax in and that didn't help much, so I had the Borla XR1 welded in. Best improvement evar!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
2K2WS6TA how do you like your TSP? Does it sound good/loud enough that you just kept their muffler in?
Dunno how it'll sound, haven't got it from TSP yet, I'll put up a review when it's installed
Old 04-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Default Cat-Backs

Hi....I've had the following cat-backs:

1) Stock: Too quiet

2) B & B: No gain on the dyno. Still a little quiet. Too expensive.

3) Loudmouth with XR-1 Borla: Nice power gain. Awesome sound at full throttle. Annoying drone on the highway - headaches!

4) Magnaflow: Just right! Fairly quiet at idle. Nice sound under throttle. No drone!!!!! The best muffler for the money, period!

Hope that helps!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

I've got the magnaflow and can vouch for the fact that there is NO drone, which is great. What I don't like is when I pull alongside an SUV and have to check and maker sure my car is still running. It is super quite even at WOT. The only time it sounds good is on deceleration from high revs, other than that it is mellow and boring.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

I dont have any LS1 car myself but Ive heard plenty and I like th Hooker with LTs and ORY the best. But since you already have money in it I would say the XR-1.

Quick Reply: Not happy with SLP Loudmouth II System