Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Headers y pipe i`m lost

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Headers y pipe i`m lost

guys i got my borla on my trans am but i`m lost with headers and y pipe,some people say that itss better to get borls y pipe and the other say slp is better,and some ppl say its better to get 3 inch and the other say 2.5 is to big.
and for headers how do i know whats best for my car?

thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

just a matter of both your intended application and your preference. Personally, I find that the borla catback sounds best with stock shorties, or anythign with cats. When I go to LT's it will probably be with Pacesetter Manifolds, a TSP ORY, and magnaflow catback. The diameter, if you're going to stick with a single I-pipe as opposed to true duals, you ought to stick with 3" in diameter. That diameter flows just fine for most street cars. do a little more research, and you'll figure it out no problem.

Brad
Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a ton of threads about headers. go with a 3inch y or 2.5 inch duals. what ever you do, do not get shorty headers. All the long tube will gain about the same power. The different prices are for the quality and material used. You should take a look at jrp's sticky. Thay will answer about ALL of your questions.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on your finances, stainless steel headers are the obvious best. However, if you can't afford those, get Pacesetter coated. I got the race version and installed them two weeks ago. Installation was a breeze and the power increase is very noticeable. I went with true duals, but if you are going to stick with a catback, get the TSP Y-pipe. Some people have had banging issues, but it can be worked out. Quality is good and price can't be beat. I'm not sure what diameter it is, but it is good enough for what you are after. Total cost for the headers and Y-pipe from TSP is somewhere in the $500.00 ballpark. Maybe a little more. Certainly worth it though!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

I have Hooker Headers, Hooker ORY and Borla catback along with cat delete.....it's aggressive but raspy at times. I changed from the SLP LT'S and Y-pipe because they hung to low when my car was lowered but the Borla sound never changed between the two. Lot's of choices but it comes down to your preference.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

best headers are the QTP stainless headers
Old 05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Launching!

it all depends what you want to do. if you just plan on doing simple boltons, i say get a nice catback and Y-pipe and some decent headers like Pacesetter. 2.5" is fine as well unless you plan on more cubes or a power adder in the future.

if you want to keep it simple and get youreslf some extra useable HP, I'd look into the Mac mid-length headers and Ypipe