Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust backfires, running rich, poor mileage....come in! (AIR removal)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Sorry for the late reply....I was on vacation!

Tranzamman,

I'm glad the write-up fixed your backfires.

JBIRD02,

Sorry bud, but you are going to have to shed some blood, especially as a result of the plastic screws (or whatever they are) holding the plastic molding at the bottom of the windshield cutting into your arm.
Remember, the bolt only needs to be loosened up a bit in order to get the bracket out.....that end of the bracket is a fork. You do have to get the wrench on and reposition your hand to loosen the bolt......I know it's tough!

jimmypop,

Mine seems to have gone out at about 24-25k miles.

Guys.......thanks for all the compliments! To date, I've had not a single exhaust backfire. I am confident the super-rich condition I had was a direct result of the bad check valves. I'm hoping to see much better oil analysis results next time around; although it won't be for over 9 months......I'll soon be deploying.

You all have a great day!!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna remove my check valves next weekend. I was checking my air system one day a while back because of a code and I noticed a vacum at the check valves. I thought, no big deal I'll take that crap off one day. Since then my exhaust back fires and it smells rich. I never put the two together. I feel like a big dummy for not thinking about it messing up the air/fuel ratio. I'm gonna get that crap off there next weekend.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

on a '99 do you remove everything that is behind the headlight, i have the big round pump, and then there is a cylinder next to it. Does that go too? Or is it easiest ot just remove the entire bracket holding all of that?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone in here living in Texas (Dallas) able to pass the emiisoin test with the AIR pump tooken off? I'm thinking of doing this on my Z (2000)
Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great write up. i just removed my air system today. it helped out a lot. thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Good, relevant post.

My GTO has 33,500 miles on it..I put 1100 miles on it per week. I've started to notice that the inside of my exhaust pipes and the tail-end of my car have become very sooty as of late...this, along with the noticable drop-off in fuel economy (at least 1 to 1.5mpg average) point to my LS1 running way too rich. I had suspected it before a catastrophic transmission failure I experienced at 31k miles, but it is obviously much worse now... while it was in for the warranty problem, the dealership performed a fuel system maintenance (cleaning the fuel rails and changing at least one of the fuel filters) as to partially recompensate me for their first-time clusterfeck- Long story.

What is weird is that with the Accel Blue flat air filter (essentially a European K&N filter) and JHP/HSV MAF tube I added ~10-12k miles back, the car should be getting more air. Even assuming that the EEPROM computer did not properly adjust to these new additions, shouldn't the car be running leaner?

I haven't noticed any performance drop off, really...The air filter is clear and clear. I'm resetting the PCM now to see if it'll relearn properly this time...but now I'm starting to wonder if the check valves may be stuck...
Old 08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Last_Z great article ! Thanks alot, I'm in the process of doing this now.
Don't buy a new lid !! check this out I've got something for you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...42#post3336742

I have an extra one sitting on my desk, as thanks for a great article say the word and it's yours. If you want PM or email me your shipping info.

-Nick
slpss01@yahoo.com
Old 08-12-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok just a quick ?,i got a 02 z28 and i have cats well this effect anything if i take off my AIR?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

if you're not having any problems like in this thread there's really no reason to remove it unless you have headers and deleted the cats.
just my .02
Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have headers and plan to delete the cats like i did before but i went out of state and needed a new y pipe so they had to put cats or else they waouldnt touch it,plus i had to put a block off plate on the pass side AIR hose for the reason that where it bolts to the header was stripped,so im only running 1 side
Old 09-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Launching!

removed my emissions stuff today! excellent results! no back fires anymore!!! awesome write up!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

does this cause the computer to through any codes?
Old 03-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
Last_Z great article ! Thanks alot, I'm in the process of doing this now.
Don't buy a new lid !! check this out I've got something for you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...42#post3336742

I have an extra one sitting on my desk, as thanks for a great article say the word and it's yours. If you want PM or email me your shipping info.

-Nick
slpss01@yahoo.com
SLPSS01,

I'm very sorry for the VERY late reply. Guys, I've spent the last 7 months (since 17 Jul 05) training for and deployed to Iraq. I see the write up has helped quite a few of you. I am very glad and happy I was able to help with a very annoying problem. Anyway...SLPSS01, I couldn't see the pictures of the plug? I'll take your word for it that it looks good and flushed. Do you still have a spare one? Let me know if you want to sell it or where I can get one?

SickSS,

You WILL throw a code.....it does not affect anything however.

408Maro,

I see no reson for you to run the A.I.R. System. The system is only designed for the first 5 minutes after a cold start. The system injects air into the cats to get them functioning quicker. After the cats "light-up", the A.I.R. System has no use. Removing the AIR System will shorten the life of the cats somewhat, but I compensate by driving right off after a cold start.....easy driving though!

Hope this clears things up.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

http://nick.vettextc.net/AIR%20Removal/LidPlug07.jpg
http://nick.vettextc.net/AIR%20Removal/LidPlug08.jpg

I'll check the garage to see if I still have it. Otherwise you can order free samples from this place:
http://www.caplugs.com/
the part number is: BPF-1 1/8-6
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Teching In

SLPSS01,

Thanks for the previous links.....I had already ordered a smaple over a week ago. It fits very nicely!

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:08 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice writeup!

I also want to add that you can have the AIR codes deleted (as well as EGR, rear O2's, etc) by a speedshop w/ HP tuners/LS1edit. They should charge WAY less than the price for a full tune to do this simple edit job. MTI in Houston charged me $75 bux, which is cheaper than buying O2 sims!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Last_Z
SLPSS01,
Thanks for the previous links.....I had already ordered a smaple over a week ago. It fits very nicely!
Thanks!
No problem. Sorry I didn't get back to you things have been crazy the last month. I couldn't find the extra pieces I had so I'm glad you're all set.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you guys remove the bolts that hold the plastic piece just below the AIR pump? Everytime I try to take these bolts out, they will turn a little then get stuck.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Just did mine today. Thanks for all the help and direction. Actually a pretty easy mod (or I should say everything went well, lol).
Old 10-01-2006, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

great post. i was on the verge of going postal trying to figure it all out.

Quick Reply: Exhaust backfires, running rich, poor mileage....come in! (AIR removal)