Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust backfires, running rich, poor mileage....come in! (AIR removal)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn...any1 have picx on an 01-02,...would these hoeses have anything to do with the PCV lines?/hoses?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

On my 2000 it had nothing to do with the pvc system. The only thing it connected to a is a vacuum line in the back of the intake.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Default AIR Removal? Pros? Cons?

Just wonderin wat id be lookin at if i were to remove my AIR pump...also if you've ever messed with it any advise? how easy is it and where can i get the block off plates?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Can this system be deleted if the car has 2 high flow cats?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Default Air Removal

Hi.
I just joined & was hooked up "with O2 sensors or not" via google. I can't open the pic's for some reason? can you email them to me. I will send some cool pic's of my T/A in return.
I will be going with the hookers soon (ERG will have to be deadended) then the ECM will have to be done at some "deleting rear o2 sensors, ERG & Air so it will be good to know what crap to take off. I have a "Borla Exhaust" (not true dual exhaust, sounds good), Texas Speed Y Pipe w/bullet cats will go in. Car came w/ K&N cold air intake & shock tower brace from BMR. I have a throttle body spacer to go in, a Lunati cam will go in (still finding out what other trimmings are needed for this {lifters, springs ect.})
My intake manifold is Plastic???, probably get a better one (aluminium) for more air. Other than larger injectors, hotter coils i think thats it for the engine unless other wise opting for a "procharger" super charger after seeing RWHP on the dyno. Beacause of the t-tops subframe connectors should be used to prevent wrinkling the uni-body underneath w/supercharging (i have T-TOP's, ECM will also have to be done. And last some suspension & gear ratio work is` all i can think of w/o gold-plating the car itself (LOL). sorry i wrote a book as usual, the pic's would be nice.
thks.
brian.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

can anyone tell me the part number for the valve(s). There should be two correct? they are the black ball looking things on the hose comming off the stock headers right?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Last_Z
Guys,

I've wanted to remove the AIR system in my car for quite a while, so I decided to tackle the job this weekend. I had read this article in preparation for the job. It explains how to remove all the major components, but doesn't go into details about what to do with vaccum lines and other small parts. I took pictures of the process, so whenever you try this, you won't be as lost as I was. Without further delay, here they are:

I should add that I was having some serious backfires through the exhaust. I suspected the AIR system may have something to do with it, but couldn't confirm. Upon removal, I found out one of the check valves was not sealing at all. They are supposed to be a one-way valve, but the passenger's side was not sealing either way. This in turn allowed fresh air to enter the manifold causing shotgun-like backfires. This problem was also tricking the O2 sensor on that bank into believing the engine was running lean, therefore advising the PCM to dump more fuel, which showed up in my last oil analysis.....it was 1.8%.....normal is 0.5% or less. My gas mileage has also been somewhat crappy lately, so this fix should definitely restore mileage back to normal.
If you are having backfires and seem to be running very rich for no apparent reason, check your check valves....they could be bad.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Rick
I am having the same problem this guy was having. This solution is assuming fresh air is being sucked into the exhaust manifold. Is this assumption correct? Would fresh air be sucked into the exhaust manifold or would exhaust gas be pushed out into the a.i.r. system and into the intake somehow?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Well, my car runs better now(no backfiring and smooth acceleration), but my gas mileage still sucks and it still smells pretty rich. I'm not sure why now.. Initially (right after !air) it didn't smell as rich, but now it smells just as bad as before. Still getting about 13/14mpg city and 20/21 hwy... car is an m6 BTW. (45k mile on a spec 2+)

I have high flow cats with about 50k miles on them, and crappy bosch 13111 o2s with about 25k miles on them. The car was dyno tuned at GForce, A/F was at about 13.0..

Plugs look fine, fuel/air filter are fine, MAF is clean,...

Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just removed the air system and it was very easy,except the cuts on my right arm from those freaking plastic plugs. I have a 02 SS with 4k original miles and I 'm gonna add headers and high flow cats very soon.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 AM

great post. getting ready do do this and this was very helpful
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I am about to do this once my car arrives. It is an 02' SS. Anything out of the ordinary I should take note of?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,260 Likes on 806 Posts

I'm not able to view the photos...why?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Because the original post is 9 years old.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Last_Z
Guys,

I've wanted to remove the AIR system in my car for quite a while, so I decided to tackle the job this weekend. I had read this article in preparation for the job. It explains how to remove all the major components, but doesn't go into details about what to do with vaccum lines and other small parts. I took pictures of the process, so whenever you try this, you won't be as lost as I was. Without further delay, here they are:

I should add that I was having some serious backfires through the exhaust. I suspected the AIR system may have something to do with it, but couldn't confirm. Upon removal, I found out one of the check valves was not sealing at all. They are supposed to be a one-way valve, but the passenger's side was not sealing either way. This in turn allowed fresh air to enter the manifold causing shotgun-like backfires. This problem was also tricking the O2 sensor on that bank into believing the engine was running lean, therefore advising the PCM to dump more fuel, which showed up in my last oil analysis.....it was 1.8%.....normal is 0.5% or less. My gas mileage has also been somewhat crappy lately, so this fix should definitely restore mileage back to normal.
If you are having backfires and seem to be running very rich for no apparent reason, check your check valves....they could be bad.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Rick
Where are the pictures?
Old 07-31-2023, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You're asking about a post from EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO???

Quick Reply: Exhaust backfires, running rich, poor mileage....come in! (AIR removal)