Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c hose has a small hole... can i still fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation a/c hose has a small hole... can i still fix this?

the hose that goes into the a/c compressor has a small crack. it looks like it was rubbing against something (looks like the pointed part of the pully) which melted the rubber around it. there are some refrigerant around the area where the crack is. it also looks like all refrigerant/freon are gone.

since the crack/hole on the hose is not that big, can i jb weld it and wrap it with heavy duty duck tape? i've read a post regarding using jb weld to fix small holes on a/c lines but i cant find it.

if i can use jb weld, what can i use to clean the hose so the jb weld sticks?

thanks!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iwantLS1
the hose that goes into the a/c compressor has a small crack. it looks like it was rubbing against something (looks like the pointed part of the pully) which melted the rubber around it. there are some refrigerant around the area where the crack is. it also looks like all refrigerant/freon are gone.

since the crack/hole on the hose is not that big, can i jb weld it and wrap it with heavy duty duck tape? i've read a post regarding using jb weld to fix small holes on a/c lines but i cant find it.

if i can use jb weld, what can i use to clean the hose so the jb weld sticks?

thanks!
Hi
First, I would try to get a used or new hose - I don't know which line you are talking about but in one case it is the high pressure side and then the other is the low pressure side which is about 40lbs when the system is operating. Shut down the system and the low and high equalize = 120lbs. So I don't think anything will repair the line for long - I would repalce it.
Bill
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Launching!

It the one with the green arrow on the picture. the inside part the hose looks/feels like metal. i have been searching for that jb weld fix on an a/c line but cant find it.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try aluminum "brazing rod" (not sure of the proper name for it). It will melt using a propane torch and will form a strong bond. Best though would be to let an a/c shop fix it. JB weld would crack due to thermal expansion.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can't fix it. Replace the line and tie it back so that it doesn't rub anymore. Remember to take it to a shop after you replace the line to have the system evacuated.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
you can't fix it. Replace the line and tie it back so that it doesn't rub anymore. Remember to take it to a shop after you replace the line to have the system evacuated.
i just ordered the a/c hose and should be here by friday. since i took it to a shop this morning and had it evacuated/tested for leaks (which they said there was none) and recharged. can i go back to them after i install the new hose and tell them to do the same thing again? i just paid $120 for the whole service and definitely dont want to pay anymore. what will be the best thing to say to the shop so they wont charge me again? the hose alone was $50. thanks!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they recharged it with the hose leaking like that and missed it? Take the old hose with you and tell them that it all leaked out and they "should" do it for free. They might still tell you to go screw yourself. but you will never know untill you go
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Launching!

yes they charged it, told me no leaks but the high pressure line is quite high. told me that the system might have a blockage but should clear after using the a/c. i dont know how they missed the hole on the hose. i drove the car for about 2 miles and when i popped the hood, there was refrigerant around the hose and a little bit on the pulley. i'm sure they are going to say it's not their fault because the hose rubbed against a moving part. i am afraid that if i tell them, they might charge me again.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's thier fault for not checking it better. They owe you a recharge. Just make sure they they understand that you are not blaming them for the hose. Just the lost freon.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
The Line with the Green spot is the low pressure side but like I said before replace it, it not worth the headaches you have trying to repair it.
Bill
Old 06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Folks
The Line with the Green spot is the low pressure side but like I said before replace it, it not worth the headaches you have trying to repair it.
Bill
It goes without saying no matter what side it's on, suction or discharge. It's just not worth it.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

R134 molecules are very, very small compared to air. if it is leaking and you recharge it it will just leak again, the a/c shop should have noticed this leak by checking with a leak detector after refilling it. checking for leaks w/ a detector is standard a/c manitenance procedure. they would have found the bad hose then(i kind of wonder how they evacuated the system before charging it if it had a leak?)
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Launching!

i was wondering the same thing. i was there for almost an hour and half and the only thing they told me was the high pressure side has a high pressure but should clear up. they even had that on the receipt so i'll just go back to them after i install the hose. i will ask if they can evacuate and refill it again.

Quick Reply: a/c hose has a small hole... can i still fix this?